U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 03:43 PM

4 posts, read 8,293 times

Advertisements

Dear jks09,

I will look for the picture and post it...I have it somewhere.

What is your name?
You can PM it to me if you want
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,278 times
Hi lived there from 68 ti 71. It was such a fun place.
Deborah

Old 10-25-2014, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,179 times
Default This is amazing!

I lived in Royal Oaks from Oct. 1969 thru Oct.1972. Oh, the memories that will forever define me. I am a painter because of all of the art we bought or commissioned. I remember the Candy Man, the Pottery Man (wasn't that the guy with the donkey?), the movies, the gullies, Devil's Cliff, Suicide Hill (I had a major wipeout there), building forts, M16 cap guns from my father going TDY to Italy, El Cordobes (whose internet search led me here via a Youtube video "Unit 119C", and Jeff Luna. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I also wanted to note my teachers: Mrs Pickels for the 2nd grade, Mrs. Smith for 3rd, and Mrs. Palmer in the 4th.

Last edited by BisonPaul; 10-25-2014 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: Oops! I left out something.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:41 PM

121 posts, read 303,418 times
I had Mr. Hanson for home room in 5th grade RO elementary in 1970. For the last 30-45 minutes of the day, he would read a chapter out of the autobio/bio of El Cordobez out loud to the class. Very interesting how he came from the poor background to one of the highest paid people in Spain at the time. Yes, the pottery man peddled his wares from a donkey. We bought most of our "artworks" from an older, small statured man, who we called "Mr. Cherry Tree". At the time he would stack all his works in the back seat and small trunk of his little white Renault. We commissioned him to do a portrait of the 4 of us kids in the family. He took photos of each of us and in a week or two, he brought my parents a very good rendering of us kids. We had to label all of the "artwork" pictures, because the Spanish government valued ALL artwork done in Spain and did not want ANY of it leaving the country.
I always get a nice little kick to my wonderful memories of living in Madrid, every time I read a response to this thread.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:11 PM

4 posts, read 8,293 times
Default Steve Starnes, Sarah Stumph, Ricky Dunn, girlfriend..

Wow, those were great times!
Attached Thumbnails
Spain, Any Americans remember Royal Oaks or Torrejon?-steve-starnes-sara-stumph-ricky-dunn  

Old 11-18-2014, 07:50 PM

22 posts, read 25,044 times
ABSOLUTLY!
I was at Torrejon A.F.B. 1967-1970 lived just abovew the Officers' Club and across the street from the Fruiteria.
I would be happy to discuss & reminisce with other 'brats" about life there.
Ken
kennnaaa@yahoo.com

Old 11-22-2014, 12:06 PM

121 posts, read 303,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt ken View Post
ABSOLUTLY!
I was at Torrejon A.F.B. 1967-1970 lived just abovew the Officers' Club and across the street from the Fruiteria.
I would be happy to discuss & reminisce with other 'brats" about life there.
Ken
kennnaaa@yahoo.com
By all means, share.
Lived above the Officers' Club? On base?
Across from the Fruteria, on the high road, I knew the Dempseys, Cathy and Ben, their folks had a red and white 64 Dodge Station Wagon in '69 and the fire lane that ran thru our driveway that led to the low road was across from the Fruteria.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,802 times
We were there about the same time, lived in unit 127 that backed up against the pool. It has been great reading the posts from others who lived there, brings back a lot of good memories! The candy man and the pie man, playing in the fields and building underground forts. I will never forget the winter that it rained real hard one night and the next morning the ground was a solid sheet of ice! People were skating on the roads and trails, sledding everywhere, and having a great time! We had 7 kids so it is likely that others on here were associated with some of my siblings, Paula, Mike, Bruce, Theresa, Jeanne, and Linda. We were good friends with the Carey's (Buster, Sharon, and their daughter Cindy), as well as the Simpsons (Wayne, Deana and their kids Ricky, Jerome, Patty Sue, and two others whose names I cant recall). Because our driveway bordered the swimming pool property, we used to sneak in through a hole in the chain link fence. As I recall, when you paid the fee to enter through the main entrance, you were given a orange key for a locker that was on an elastic wrist band. The lifeguards would check to see if you had your key and if not, they would ask you to show it or make you leave. I was only between 8-12 years old so I may have that completely wrong. I played little league baseball for the Aguilas and remembered skipping practice one Saturday and stupidly rode my bike with my friends right past the ball diamond! The coach recognized me and made me sit out the next several games to teach me a lesson! LOL I think the next game I played he had me play 2nd base, 3rd base, pitcher, catcher, left and center field! As I recall, it was because other players got hurt and he needed someone to fill in but it may have been I was just making errors and he didn't have enough players to take me out! Sewer hoping was mentioned by several people and me and my brothers did it several times. I recall my brothers and I being chased by some Spanish teenagers while sewer hoping but it may have just been my older brothers trying to scare me too! The only teacher I can remember is Mr Tingley, and some of the family names running through my brain are Moon, Schoop, and Shaw. I am glad I happened upon this site as it has brought back many memories from my childhood.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbshell View Post
I was there at the same time, same age, same teachers as you. Lived up behind the pool.
I lived behind the pool at that same time! Our driveway followed the pool wall and curved around to the housing unit we lived in, which was 127. I think we were unit A, bottom floor that faced away from the pool grounds and had a pretty tall rock wall in the front yard.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,833 times
Best assignment my dad ever had. I was there from '71 -'75. Anybody ever go sewer hoping or slide down suicide hill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues