Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2017, 09:01 AM

3 posts, read 5,983 times

Advertisements

Oh I remember the sour sticks too! And the cases of pop delivered to our terraza once a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,364 times
Default Royal Oaks '76-'79

Was at Royal Oaks for almost four years during middle school 6th through 8th grade before moving to Ft. Worth TX Carswell AFB. Loved Royal Oaks. The pool! Riding bikes up and down the neighborhood. Driving past the Real Madrid stadium on the way into Madrid. Played little league on the base and basketball in the gym there at RO. First broken bone - my ankle, happened there during a game. So many memories. Can't recall any of the teacher's names. But do remember the freedom to run around and just be a kid. Wish I had some pictures of the pool there. That was such a fun time. Especially the Summers.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:11 PM

5 posts, read 10,537 times
dealman64 ..there are 2 Royal Oaks groups on Facebook. Plenty of pics of the school, theater, and school. Good luck

Old 03-15-2017, 06:15 PM

4 posts, read 9,331 times
Default At Torrejon Junior High at the same time

I remember Leonard King. I was in Spain for half of 6th grade and all of 7th from 1967-68. I lived on the high road at the bus stop near the field that led down to the swimming pool. I lived upstairs from Lynne and Ralph Schmehl (sp?). It was a short tour, but one of my fondest memories as an air force brat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewman View Post
My dad was stationed at Torrejon from May 1966 through June 1969 and we lived in 27C at Royal Oaks. Went to Royal Oaks Elementary for 6th grade - Had Mr. Swain as a teacher and Mr. Hanson for math. Torrejon for 7th grade and 8th grades. I had Ms. Honas - math 7th. In 8th Mr. Cardinalli - math and Mr. Mitchell for science. I had a good friend named Leonard King. I remember Tony Turner, Jay Hipp, Evelyn Hipp, Sheila Scalisi, Abby Gulik, PePe and Poopsi Zerda, Toni, Terri and Russell Broomfield, Eric and Melissa Duval, Sydney Ballback (and brothers), Pee Wee Metzer, Kristine Zelent, Mark and Claudia Thomas, the Hansens (all very tall !), etc. I worked on Saturdays putting movie schedules on a couple of hundred doors in Royal Oaks and had free admission to the movies - That was great because all that we had for television was a couple of Spanish government channels in B&W. My sister Janet had Mrs. Love for the 4th grade. My dad was in the 613th TFS squadron. Really a great three years.. I remember all of the things mentioned in Goldeneyes eariler post. Also there was a pie man that sold pies out of the back of a van. The Spanish vendors with their donkeys used to come through the neighborhood. They had wares for sale and one guy sharpened scissors. Then there were the guys that delivered soft drinks by the case and would leave them on the porch. We went to church at Emanuel Baptist Church in Madrid. Good times! Wheeler Newman

Old 03-15-2017, 06:36 PM

I was there at the same time; for half of 6th grade and all of 7th from 1967-68. I loved Teen Town and the dances at the pool at Royal Oaks in the summer. I lived upstairs from Lynne and Ralph Schmehl. In fact, Lynne was my best friend. I knew Leonard King, Brian Klein, Connie Mouney (sp?), Michelle Bouvart, Bill Oauna (sp?), Donna Lorenze, and so many more whose names are stored too deeply buried in my memory. Brian Klein was one of my boyfriends in 7th grade and I had a big crush on an 8th grader named David LaRose. I spent almost every waking hour at the swimming pool and riding horses in the summer (a gentle blind horse). I bought bags and bags of peepas and chupa chups at the Frutaria. I had so much fun. One of the high school summer rock band members use to call me "Kink" because I parted my hair in the middle like the Kinks...lol! Those were great times!

Old 03-15-2017, 06:45 PM

Hi, Leonard! I remember you. We lived in the same area and rode the same bus. In fact, we were friends for a short time. I lived over Lynne and Ralph Schmehl in front of the bus stop at the top of the hiil from the swimming pool for the school bus (bus 39?). Those were fun times!

Old 03-15-2017, 06:50 PM

Hey, Ken Doss! Our parents were friends! In fact, my Mom is still exchanging Christmas cards with your Mother. Your brother, Morris, and I were in Junior High there together.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,268 times
Default Memories

My dad was stationed at Torrejon from 1964-1970. We lived in Canijellas near Barajas. I went to elementary school at Roaks and at the base. I would ride my bike back to Royal Oaks to be with my friends after school let out and we were bused home. Of course this was unbeknownst to my parents. I still consider Spain to be home. I miss the adventure, the freedom and the food very much. Visited in 1999 and it had already changed radically but my home was still there. But now, based on Google Earth, I barely recognize the place. Having a strong pull to return - maybe retirement. Wow that's a foreign word.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,110 times
Smile Lived in Madrid 63 - 66.

Hello: Just did a cursory read of many of the posts here and wow does it bring back the memories. My dad was the Civilian Personnel Officer at Torrejon Air Base from 1963 - 1966. My brother graduated high school at the Madrid High School on base in 1966. Right at the height of the Vietnam War so he ended up going into ROTC to better his chances if he had to go (which, luckily, he did not). I was in elementary school at the Generalisimo school for one year in Madrid and then got bussed to Royal Oaks school for 5th and 6th grades. We lived in the "new" (LOL) part of Madrid on Generalisimo Ave. I remember walking to the military theater from our apartment to see movies (you know, when they cost $0.50!!). In third grade I had Mrs. Wilkie as my teacher (she was related to Wendell Wilkie). And 4th grade was Mr. Walden, 5th grade was Mrs. Connors. My brother just took a trip back to Madrid with his wife and sent us some pics of our old apartment building - still there! Amazing how much we all remember after all this time. Does anyone remember the old Balboa Hotel in Madrid where the bus picked up to go the base? It shut down when we were still living there.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,082 times
I lived in royal oaks lived near the ritchies, leah, Todd and kevin. I remember chasing 3 brothers home from the nus. My mom cleaned the movie theater. Lisa Yabes was my best friend.who remembers pinky's bar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues