U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 07:19 AM

5 posts, read 397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM68 View Post
Hello....my dad was stationed at Torrejon AFB from 1966-1968. We lived at 129C at the very top of the
hill. I have so many wonderful memories to share, but right now, I am trying to locate a few of my fellow classmates such as: Karen Crist, Kathy Workman, Janet Rodriquez, Shannon Holdridge, Karen Cooper and Rusty Craig. I had Mr. Gamer in the fifth grade and Ms. Conner in the sixth grade. My music teacher was Mr. Bird, he was an odd character, and oh, who can forget Ms. Greenlee! OMG! I remember walking up the stairs to go to class and there she was, holding a yardstick in her hand with a smerk on her face just waiting for somebody to act up! She wore bright red lipstick and granny glasses. Fortunately, she was not one of my teachers, but would love for those of you who had the misfortune to have her, share some of your stories here.
Evenings were spent going to the movies. I can't remember the cost of a movie back then but I think it might
have been around a quarter. We didn't have a telephone, but we had tv. I think someone told me that there were several American actors that lived nearby. Did anyone reading this ever hear this?? I am not sure if that is true or just a rumor. I learned to play chinese jump rope from a few of my friends and also learned to play tetherball!
So many sweet memories made there and happy to have found this site where we can reminisce about the good 'ol days and hopefully reconnect with some of our friends.
My name is Susan and if you remember me, please DM me.
We lived in 127-C during those same years. You must have lived across the street from us. We were next to that tall rock wall. Terry lived in 144-A just below us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 16 times
Such fond memories I had living in Las Morelejas! My father was assigned to Torrejon Air Force Base, which to my memory was about 22 miles north from where we lived in our quadplex. I was in the fifth grade during that time and when I first arrived at the apartment, there was a drunk woman out in the yard, her twin sons were playing, and the oldest son was smoking. I believe he was 17 years old at the time, which left my 10-year-old mind in a state of shock! We found out that she was divorcing her husband who was a sergeant and it was not a pleasant atmosphere! However, her son also informed us to get out of the apartment when there was a fire next door! I had learned never to judge people by appearances. My dad drove a 1963 Volkswagen which was a tough, outstanding car during that time. Gotta love German engineering! I also discovered that I was not the only female who was an "only child" in her family as I met several classmates raised as only children. I only remember one girl's name. Gwen Snowden lived below my apartment and came from a Southern Baptist family. Both parents were very strict with her. Another guy by the name of Dale (also an only child) really upset Gwen because he threw away her game she made for the rest of the classmates to participate during her lunch hours. Another only child was Denny. He was the bad boy of the neighborhood, would smoke and cuss but he never really bothered me and in fact, was pleasant to all of us girls. Sometimes, I wonder what had happened to him and I hope he is doing well. Two vendors came to my mind - the Candyman, who was very popular with the neighborhood kids and Pinky who would deliver Seven-Up sodas, beers and cognac my dad would purchase from him. Oh yes, I also had the opportunity of seeing the Apollo 11 astronauts when they toured Madrid. One of my classmates whose name was Michael Collins was turned away when he wanted to take the opportunity to get an autograph from the astronaut with the same name. It was a very exciting time for me and learned a lot about life from my 5th grade teacher, Mr. Hanson and remembered him reading a book from El Cordobez, "I will Dress you in Morning". Those times were so long ago and it was fun!

Last edited by SusanB60; 03-29-2019 at 09:57 AM..

Old Today, 12:16 PM

122 posts, read 310,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB60 View Post
Such fond memories I had living in Las Morelejas! My father was assigned to Torrejon Air Force Base, which to my memory was about 22 miles north from where we lived in our quadplex. I was in the fifth grade during that time and when I first arrived at the apartment, there was a drunk woman out in the yard, her twin sons were playing, and the oldest son was smoking. I believe he was 17 years old at the time, which left my 10-year-old mind in a state of shock! We found out that she was divorcing her husband who was a sergeant and it was not a pleasant atmosphere! However, her son also informed us to get out of the apartment when there was a fire next door! I had learned never to judge people by appearances. My dad drove a 1963 Volkswagen which was a tough, outstanding car during that time. Gotta love German engineering! I also discovered that I was not the only female who was an "only child" in her family as I met several classmates raised as only children. I only remember one girl's name. Gwen Snowden lived below my apartment and came from a Southern Baptist family. Both parents were very strict with her. Another guy by the name of Dale (also an only child) really upset Gwen because he threw away her game she made for the rest of the classmates to participate during her lunch hours. Another only child was Denny. He was the bad boy of the neighborhood, would smoke and cuss but he never really bothered me and in fact, was pleasant to all of us girls. Sometimes, I wonder what had happened to him and I hope he is doing well. Two vendors came to my mind - the Candyman, who was very popular with the neighborhood kids and Pinky who would deliver Seven-Up sodas, beers and cognac my dad would purchase from him. Oh yes, I also had the opportunity of seeing the Apollo 11 astronauts when they toured Madrid. One of my classmates whose name was Michael Collins was turned away when he wanted to take the opportunity to get an autograph from the astronaut with the same name. It was a very exciting time for me and learned a lot about life from my 5th grade teacher, Mr. Hanson and remembered him reading a book from El Cordobez, "I will Dress you in Morning". Those times were so long ago and it was fun!

Susan, You were in my class. I also went to Barajas to see the astronauts.

Jerry Kennedy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues