Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:12 AM

1 posts, read 6,602 times

Advertisements

We were there from Dec.63 to Dec.66 & still recall how much fun my little brother Ray and I had there. Best place (by far) our dad was ever stationed. I remember Mrs. Love, 4th grade, was the best teacher I ever had. Becky sat behind me was a total Beatles nut, that awesome pool, my friends Mark Kagle, Vince Brown, and David Matthews. Paula upstairs (first girl that kissed me). Oh man! The Fruteria, going into Madrid, the stables behind the school playground,& seeing "Hard Days Night"at the theater that was also the church and the school auditorium. Feel I'm very lucky to be able to have those good memories.
R. Hill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 6,543 times
My step-father was stationed there from Jan '82 to Jan '85. We lived off base in Torrejon the first year, a little community called Fuente de Fresno the second, and finally, the "American" apartments just outside of the base. Fuente de Fresno was close to Royal Oaks. I went to the Royal Oaks elem. school for that year. I've been trying to find some of mine and my older brother's friends. With no luck. Does anyone know of anyone who was there during those years????

Old 10-03-2012, 03:12 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,225 times
I like like 23 miles from Torrejon and many people remember the American militars here, I was working for a guy who worked there 6 years ago.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,489 times
OMG my ex and I were just talking about Lake Sacedon today and the awesome memories that we have of Spain from 1982 - 1983. My ex was stationed at Torrejon and we had a blast most of that time. So much to do and see. We did not live in Royal Oaks but we did live on the economy in Torrejon right near the Purina factory. We did spend time in Royal Oaks with friends.

My best memory of Spain was going to Segovia & Valencia. I also remember Madrid very well. Boy that was a long time ago but a time I will never ever forget.

There were also some sad times which I wish never happened because then my ex would not be an ex.

Anyway thanks for bringing back memories for me. Formerly, Anne Rowley

Old 10-14-2012, 12:00 AM

3 posts, read 19,285 times
Hi, My name is Liz Wickman (had brother Ken). I can't believe I found this forum. wow! you all describe so much of what I experienced too. My dad was an Air Force pilot stationed at Torrejon 1977-1980. I too remember the night we flew into Spain seeing all the city lights and being up at like 2 am checking into the BOQ wandering what my life was going to be like going forward. Living in the BOQ for the first 2 months and last 2 months of our stay in Spain- going to the pool- that great pizza place outside the pool , the officers club/dining room with a waiter named Santos who was always terrific and hanging out in the TV room with breaks at the vending machines. ha ha. running all over the darn BOQ with my brother and friends. I finished up my 2nd grade year on base with Ms. Martinez. Shortly after that we moved out to Caneajas (spelling) for 6 months before moving to Royal Oaks. Living in Madrid the city was a whole different experience where little spanish kids weren't so friendly to us and shopping at the mercado was quite a shock with all the fresh carcuses. I did enjoy buying stuff at the magazine kiosks though. However, it was the best when we moved out to the Royal oaks, so many fun childhood memories there. I had Mr. Gamer for 4 grade and I can't remember for 5th grade-man. Nice man who made us make a hard bound book of all our 5th grade work- I still have it. I remember going to the movies there, the pool with the really high- high dive, and going to the cafeteria. taking gymnastics in the school gym... and gypsies coming to our school to beg for our watches (and coming down our street) etc... Those years are so vivid in my mind, they were so different than any other experiences I had throughout my childhood. Crazy. All the best to you. Let me know if you know me or my family.
best
Liz (Wickman) 77-80

Old 10-28-2012, 10:16 AM

Smile Royal Oaks 77-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewickman View Post
Hi, My name is Liz Wickman (had brother Ken). I can't believe I found this forum. wow! you all describe so much of what I experienced too. My dad was an Air Force pilot stationed at Torrejon 1977-1980. I too remember the night we flew into Spain seeing all the city lights and being up at like 2 am checking into the BOQ wandering what my life was going to be like going forward. Living in the BOQ for the first 2 months and last 2 months of our stay in Spain- going to the pool- that great pizza place outside the pool , the officers club/dining room with a waiter named Santos who was always terrific and hanging out in the TV room with breaks at the vending machines. ha ha. running all over the darn BOQ with my brother and friends. I finished up my 2nd grade year on base with Ms. Martinez. Shortly after that we moved out to Caneajas (spelling) for 6 months before moving to Royal Oaks. Living in Madrid the city was a whole different experience where little spanish kids weren't so friendly to us and shopping at the mercado was quite a shock with all the fresh carcuses. I did enjoy buying stuff at the magazine kiosks though. However, it was the best when we moved out to the Royal oaks, so many fun childhood memories there. I had Mr. Gamer for 4 grade and Mr. Walden for 5th grade-man. Nice man who made us make a hard bound book of all our 5th grade work- I still have it. I remember going to the movies there, the pool with the really high- high dive, and going to the cafeteria. taking gymnastics in the school gym... and gypsies coming to our school to beg for our watches (and coming down our street) etc... Those years are so vivid in my mind, they were so different than any other experiences I had throughout my childhood. Crazy. All the best to you. Let me know if you know me or my family.
best
Liz (Wickman) 77-80
Do you remember Mattel toy company and I think Hasbro used to shop for kids to be in their commercials there? I had some friends who were in the snoopy snow cone machine and the Barbie make up head commercials. The snoopy snow cone machine was filmed in the neighborhood, I remember seeing that commercial back in the U.S after we returned just wishing I could go back and play in the neighborhood again.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:38 PM

2 posts, read 12,785 times
We were there from 79-81!

Old 11-18-2012, 01:40 PM

2 posts, read 12,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewickman View Post
Do you remember Mattel toy company and I think Hasbro used to shop for kids to be in their commercials there? I had some friends who were in the snoopy snow cone machine and the Barbie make up head commercials. The snoopy snow cone machine was filmed in the neighborhood, I remember seeing that commercial back in the U.S after we returned just wishing I could go back and play in the neighborhood again.
I remember this! I was actually picked for a toy commercial but scared when they came to our house!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy Linna Gonzalez View Post
I remember this! I was actually picked for a toy commercial but scared when they came to our house!
pretty neat, that was a big deal to be picked! pretty ingenious of them to find american kids that not many in America would know for their commercials.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 6,382 times
Default Royal Oaks Twice

My name is Ernie Michaelis, I lived in Royal Oaks twice. First time was from 1966-1970 (6 to 10 yrs old) at 145B and second time 1972-1975 (12 to 15 years old) at 185B. My Dad was in the Army and assigned to the Embassey in Madrid both times. I played a lot of baseball every time (Pirates, Warriors, Yankees...) and football one year for the chiefs. I also played basketball in the Oaks and freshman year. I had a sister a year younger and spent a lot of time at the pool. My last 2 years I was on the swim team at Torrejon. I didn't realize how great a place I had grown up in till we left. I have a lot of fond memories of both the Oaks and the base... especially all the days sitting at the back gate hitching a ride to base and back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues