Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:46 AM

7 posts, read 49,974 times

Advertisements

I was born in Spain,at Torrejon AB in fact. Dad was stationed at Torrejon for most of his career. My mother was a spaniard so my siblings and I are bilingual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 12:09 PM

I went to school at Royal Oaks around '68-'69. Lol.
Remember the old teacher Ms. Fisher? She wasn't my teacher but she was notoriously strict! Lol.
Scary even. When we lined up for recess or something she didn't tolerate bad behavior. I used to see her grab unruly kids by the collar and shake them like crazy! Talk about child abuse. Loooooool!

Old 08-18-2011, 12:41 PM

"El chatarreeeeeeeeeeeeerooooo!", the neighborhood peddler would shout,announcing himself.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:08 PM

I had a toy Winchester repeating rifle I got for Christmas when I was a kid in Spain. I was sitting outside near our house driveway when a gang of young gypsies walked by and one of them yanked the toy rifle from me and ran away. I was flogged black and blue by my father. Not a good moment. Lol.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:23 PM

Remember late nights in Madrid when apartment gates were locked? If you didn't have your keys to the front gate you had to clap your hands loudly and shout "Serenooooooo" and a man with a hotel-type uniform (Doorman) would come around the corner. They were night watchmen.

Last edited by norjope; 08-18-2011 at 01:37 PM..

Old 09-20-2011, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 14,055 times
My father was an Air Force pilot who was stationed at Torrejon AFB from '65-'69. We lived in Royal Oaks at 33A, which was situated at the top of a hill with a large weeping willow tree in our yard. Those were some of the happiest times in my life. Although I was only 11 when we were transferred to the States, I can still vividly remember Royal Oaks -- lounging on the grass at the pool, visiting the Fruiteria, going to the Saturday matinees at Royal Oaks Elementary and plunking down fifteen cents to watch Roy Rodgers beat up the bad guys. I was a member of the swim team and remember winning a number of races and finishing second several times by the narrowest of margins to a kid named Eddie. I also remember an older guy, probably high school age at the time, by the name of Janega who was really good at the butterfly. I really looked up to him and thought he was so cool at the time. Other memories include being part of the 16th Air Force or Army, a group we formed with neighbor kids. We built a fort and waged rock wars with the Green Army. I also belonged to the Black Fang Club, and we would go around on Halloween and ring doorbells and soap a few windows, nothing too serious. There were also sojourns to Devil's Cliff by the Elementary School, where kids with overactive imaginations made up stories about gypsies and kidnappings. While we were there, my brother and I pitched for the minor league Lobos baseball team and won the championship with, I believe, a 19-1 record. We played a lot of baseball and had a great time. Another fond memory is my music teacher Mr. Bird. He used to have boys and girls in separate single-file lines and them make us hold hands with the gal across from us while he sang "I Want to Hold Your Hand." Ycch. Life was such an adventure then -- going with family and friends to the Valley of the Fallen, Sevilla, Segovia, Madrid, Rota, Benidorm, and yearly trips to Armed Forces Recreation Centers in Berchesgaden, Germany. I didn't realize it at the time just how lucky I was to have all those wonderful experiences, and when we moved back to the States, it was really something of a letdown. I once dated a gal who also lived in Royal Oaks and felt the very same way. It was a special time and a special place. I understand it has all changed, but it still lingers bright in my memory. It always will.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:51 PM

4 posts, read 28,529 times
Default An old friend?

If you are the right Jay Hipp :-) I was friends with you and Evelyn and brother. Did you have an older sister as well? You lived not too far from the swimming pool. We played a lot together. Wheeler Newman

Old 10-02-2011, 12:23 AM

4 posts, read 28,529 times
My dad was stationed at Torrejon from May 1966 through June 1969 and we lived in 27C at Royal Oaks. Went to Royal Oaks Elementary for 6th grade - Had Mr. Swain as a teacher and Mr. Hanson for math. Torrejon for 7th grade and 8th grades. I had Ms. Honas - math 7th. In 8th Mr. Cardinalli - math and Mr. Mitchell for science. I had a good friend named Leonard King. I remember Tony Turner, Jay Hipp, Evelyn Hipp, Sheila Scalisi, Abby Gulik, PePe and Poopsi Zerda, Toni, Terri and Russell Broomfield, Eric and Melissa Duval, Sydney Ballback (and brothers), Pee Wee Metzer, Kristine Zelent, Mark and Claudia Thomas, the Hansens (all very tall !), etc. I worked on Saturdays putting movie schedules on a couple of hundred doors in Royal Oaks and had free admission to the movies - That was great because all that we had for television was a couple of Spanish government channels in B&W. My sister Janet had Mrs. Love for the 4th grade. My dad was in the 613th TFS squadron. Really a great three years.. I remember all of the things mentioned in Goldeneyes eariler post. Also there was a pie man that sold pies out of the back of a van. The Spanish vendors with their donkeys used to come through the neighborhood. They had wares for sale and one guy sharpened scissors. Then there were the guys that delivered soft drinks by the case and would leave them on the porch. We went to church at Emanuel Baptist Church in Madrid. Good times! Wheeler Newman

Old 10-06-2011, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 14,055 times
No, my name is Mark Eddington. I have an older brother Michael and two younger sisters, Leslie and Rachel. My brother and I pitched for the Lobos. We used to hang out with Scott and, I believe, Bruce (don't remember their last name). We also were good friends with the Frigeris. I had a crush on Susan. One of my first girlfriends (puppy love) lived nearby, Michelle May. It didn't last long. We also used to go to a neighbors across the street from the bottom of our hill to ride their monorail. I attended half of 2nd grade and 3rd, 4th and 5th at Royal Oaks Elementary School. So I'm probably about three or four years younger than you. But it sure was a great place.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:33 PM

6 posts, read 26,752 times
My dad was stationed at Torrejon 60-63. We lived in Royal Oaks for three years my 6,7,8th grade at the Royal Oaks Jr high. I have a ton of memories flooding back from reading all of the posts! Our quarters were 103-B. We had a big patio that overlooked the valley where the school was.I remember the gypsys, the Tunas (they played music at your door, hoping for pesetas, of course),the horse stables, and the church in the valley where storks roosted in the steeple. I actually went to 6th grade at the school in town over the commissary. Does anyone remember this?? I know ...I'm old as dirt.
Here is the real cool part of this story...my son went to college with and married the daughter of a Royal Oaks military brat girl (now gandma) just like me. We had no idea that we had this in common until our kids were engaged. Her dad was a pilot at Torrejon from 65-68.
Does anyone remember the rolling persanas on the windows? They sure made alot of noise if you wanted to sneak out...LOL CConklin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues