Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 12:48 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,700,028 times

Advertisements

Not sure how true this holds but I have a few telling me that a CCAF isn't usually recognized in the civilian sector....because most don't know what a CCAF is. Though I believe I've heard it said that a CCAF is an equivelant to an associates degree?

So let's suppose an airman doesn't plan on becoming a SNCO and doesn't plan on becoming an commissioned officer. Is it still worth it to pursue a CCAF? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 06:40 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,679,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Not sure how true this holds but I have a few telling me that a CCAF isn't usually recognized in the civilian sector....because most don't know what a CCAF is. Though I believe I've heard it said that a CCAF is an equivelant to an associates degree?

So let's suppose an airman doesn't plan on becoming a SNCO and doesn't plan on becoming an commissioned officer. Is it still worth it to pursue a CCAF? Why or why not?
On the enlisted side, training is a bullet for an EPR. Saying you're earning college credit for yourself in a civilian degree isn't as good as saying you're earning college credit for the air force in a CCAF...

They have the ABC program, in which all credits are transfered to a civilian degree...

Old 11-03-2009, 07:41 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,297,187 times
Default Ccaf

I retired with 3 CCAF's, BS and MS. For me, CCAF was a good starting point that built confidence and eventually helped achieve my educational goals. And I do recognize it on my resume, with pride.

To your question, I personally have not heard any negative comments. Furthermore, my MS is from a Division 1 school and all of my credits were accepted. My opinion, that statement/remark is unfounded. Good luck!

Old 11-03-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
They have the ABC program, in which all credits are transfered to a civilian degree...
Never heard of the ABC program....how does it work?

Old 11-03-2009, 10:12 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,278,868 times
I have TWO!

As for it not being recognized, call it an Associate's Degree in Whatever on your resume. It's a degree. Don't call it a CCAF, of course they don't know what it is. What weird nomanclature (sp?) we have. If I can't a degree from the Alamo Community College in San Antonio, I don't say, "I have an Alamo Community College" But when you say you have a CCAF, that's what you are saying, "I have a Community College of the Air Force." CCAF is the issuing institution, not the name of the degree. Call it an Associate's degree, and people will know what you are talking about.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:15 AM

BTW, it is acreditited through the Southern Association of Colleges, and the credits are transferable... I'm not sure why anyone would not accept it as valid. Legally, it is a valid as any other 2 year degree.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:18 AM

As far as if it's worth it, it's free, it's real, and it's easy. Why not? Some degree is better than no degree. Associate's degree in general don't hold much water these days, but something is better than nothing!

Old 11-03-2009, 10:26 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,871,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I have TWO!

As for it not being recognized, call it an Associate's Degree in Whatever on your resume. It's a degree. Don't call it a CCAF, of course they don't know what it is. What weird nomanclature (sp?) we have. If I can't a degree from the Alamo Community College in San Antonio, I don't say, "I have an Alamo Community College" But when you say you have a CCAF, that's what you are saying, "I have a Community College of the Air Force." CCAF is the issuing institution, not the name of the degree. Call it an Associate's degree, and people will know what you are talking about.
Yep! My husband has two also and its called an Associate's degree.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:28 AM

So that's what type of degree it would be? A general associates degree?

I've accumulated a lot of points from attending OJT classes and such. I need another 15 more points and I can get that degree.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:50 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,871,678 times
I just looked at the actual diploma for one of his and it says "Associate of Applied Science Instructor of Technology and Military Science". And the other one is another AAS in his technical job skill.

Its basically similar to if you went to a civilian community college and took the basic core classes and then "majored" in a vocation or trade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues