U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 02:25 PM

1,046 posts, read 2,799,557 times

Advertisements

From looking at the DOD website on the issue SAPR Home Page its about 90 per 100,000 vs. the 33 per 100,000 that the FBI says is the national average.

my math could be wrong. I figured about 2,000,000 service members and 1800 "reported" cases of sexual assault(including rape). These figures also account for male victims.

It also mentioned that only a fraction of people report it.

I also don't think it's as bad as that first website says it is.

Last edited by roundball; 11-17-2009 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 03:09 PM

27,143 posts, read 42,239,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
From looking at the DOD website on the issue SAPR Home Page its about 90 per 100,000 vs. the 33 per 100,000 that the FBI says is the national average.

my math could be wrong. I figured about 2,000,000 service members and 1800 "reported" cases of sexual assault(including rape). These figures also account for male victims.

It also mentioned that only a fraction of people report it.

I also don't think it's as bad as that first website says it is.
I certainly do not doubt the FBI numbers.

I wish to remind folks to keep in mind that any time we compare stats of the military to the general public; we are looking at a subset of people who are 18 to 24 years old, with very few people over 30 years old in the group.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:16 PM

1,046 posts, read 2,799,557 times
Only the civilian numbers are FBI. The military are DOD (and include all types of sexual assault,victims, male/female. It doesn't include civilians raped by a member of the military.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

we are looking at a subset of people who are 18 to 24 years old, with very few people over 30 years old in the group.
Good point.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:55 PM

22,318 posts, read 33,192,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
From looking at the DOD website on the issue SAPR Home Page
Excellant site with a lot of good references...

The 90+ page report in PDF format is extensive:
http://www.sapr.mil/Contents/ResourcesReports/AnnualReports/DoD_FY08_Annual_Report.pdf (broken link)

Rich

Old 11-17-2009, 05:28 PM

4,445 posts, read 2,259,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Women Don't Belong in the Military!

I usually hang out in the Religion and Philosophy forum....but I came across this page from a crazy 'Christian' web site. It implies that the number of women in the military that are raped by guys in the military is alarming....I am having a hard time believing it! If any of you know of the stats on this I'd love to know what they are!
Spent 8 years in the active Army. Never raped.

You have stumbled upon the cult of Pastor Hyles. Note the glee in which he describes Jessica Lynch's alleged assault. His diligence to maintain women's purity could be used could be put to better use amongst his own cult, as there are numerous scandals there.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:29 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,407,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have heard many times folks get blasted for laying blame on the choices that females choose.

Presumably we should never put any blame on a female for making a bad choice. She is the victim and the guys who took advantage are the bad people.

It does not matter what a female wears, or what she says, or how she carries herself; anytime that a male responds to a female's actions by making it sexual, he is attempting to sexually assault her and he should be prosecuted.
BS !

I'm so sick of that double standard phrase " took advantage of her"

Imagine if a guy was out drinking with a woman, got drunk, and woke up in bed with her.

Would anybody listen if he tried to have her arrested cuz she " took advantage of him " ?

I honestly believe many times both the man and the woman get drunk and wake up in bed together.

The difference is, if both feel guilty the next morning for their choice they made, the woman can claim he took advantage of her

During my time in the Navy, many of my buddies woke up in bed with a woman they never would have considered( 20 years older, fat as all heck ) if they were sober.

Guess they should have filed a report since they didn't remember taking her home or crawling in bed with her.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:42 PM

543 posts, read 756,738 times
Actually, I think guys should be on the lookout for nympho females like me.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:23 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,511,026 times
Rapists , power mad nuts , zealots , pedophiles , kill em all!!!
They are evil and have NO place in this world!!

Old 11-18-2009, 06:35 AM

3,647 posts, read 8,462,457 times
Rape was the defense of more than 30 women when the prostitution ring aboard one of the ships stationed in Mayport FL was broken up back in 2002.

Rape is also the reason given when a married female "soldier" in Iraq suddenly turns up 3 mos pregnant, 7 months into a 12 month deployment.

I am sure it happens sometimes. But I also believe that it is "cried" more often than done within the military.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:38 AM

484 posts, read 955,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_jay26 View Post
Actually, I think guys should be on the lookout for nympho females like me.
I am on the lookout but have yet to find one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues