Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 07:50 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,480 times

Advertisements

I came across this page from a web site. It implies that the number of women in the military that are raped by guys in the military is alarming....I am having a hard time believing it! If any of you know of the stats on this I'd love to know what they are!

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-16-2014 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: Religious Article
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 10:09 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,845 times
Assaults on females within the military are the exception and not the rule. The military has a zero tolerance for such things if reported. In the military it is less of a problem then in the civilian sector.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:29 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,714,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Assaults on females within the military are the exception and not the rule. The military has a zero tolerance for such things if reported. In the military it is less of a problem then in the civilian sector.

I have to agree. Being a Female in the military I never had any issues. Most men were very nice. They know a lot of swear words but they were still nice.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
i dont think so the penalties and the rigorous enforcement make it a bad move.
please note, some felons/rapists enjoy reading these threads very much. dont feed them please.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:08 AM

6,448 posts, read 9,805,568 times
You hear more about this happening in the military schools like Annapolis( I don't know the other branches school names sorry) than you do the actual military.

Pssst! West Point (U.S. Military Academy) in NY is the Army's And the Air Force Academy is the Air Force's. It's in Colorado

Last edited by Crew Chief; 11-18-2009 at 10:23 AM..

Old 11-17-2009, 06:52 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,324,862 times
I am a female in the Military, for over a decade. No female that I know has been raped or assaulted by a member of the military, and I've worked with tons of females. I don't think my risk of being assaulted on base is higher than off base. In fact, I feel safer. The problem is that when it happens, it gets splashed across the news so much more than normal sexual assaults.

If women do get raped, it's not cuz they are in the military....it's cuz there is a male criminal in the military. Maybe it's the rapists that don't belong in the military....not the victims. The logic that women shouldn't be in the military cuz they might get raped makes no sense. In that case, women shouldn't be allowed to leave their houses, because that means they might get raped. It's the fault of the man that does the rape, not of the woman for defending her country.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:37 AM

37,444 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Generally in the military the odds of catching the rapist is higher.

During my AD career, I did 6 years of LEO duties [in the form of 2 three-year tours] I was peripherally involved in 3 rape investigations. In those cases the victim was 'drank-under-the-table' by a group of guys; and later one of the guys took advantage of the passed-out female.

In those 3 cases; one was a group of foreign-national-military pilots who out-drank a US reservist-pilot and the next morning all of the foreign-military pilots had left before she woke-up to report the incident.

The second was a US service member who attended a Local-National wedding party and the LNs got her drunk to the point of passing out, and took advantage of her.

The third was in the barracks on-base everyone involved were US service members.

I am not saying that this type of rape is common. Rather that on 2 different bases, over a period of 6 years in an environment where you have 10,000 service members stationed at any one time, most on 3-year tours [so during each calendar year 1/3 of the servicemembers cycle out and are replaced with fresh bodies] this really is a very small rate-of-incidents.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:18 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,324,862 times
Yes, and it sounds like most could have been avoided if the female was more responsible... not blaming the female, just saying...don't put yourself in the position where you are passing out around strange men...military or not!

Old 11-17-2009, 12:57 PM

37,444 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Yes, and it sounds like most could have been avoided if the female was more responsible ... not blaming the female, just saying ... don't put yourself in the position where you are passing out around strange men ... military or not!
I have heard many times folks get blasted for laying blame on the choices that females choose.

Presumably we should never put any blame on a female for making a bad choice. She is the victim and the guys who took advantage are the bad people.

It does not matter what a female wears, or what she says, or how she carries herself; anytime that a male responds to a female's actions by making it sexual, he is attempting to sexually assault her and he should be prosecuted.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:30 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,699 times
I'm male and when I drink have yet to have a female take advantage of me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues