U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 04:13 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,230,231 times

Advertisements

If travel for you and the kids is a factor than forget the military.

Collectively all services have good or the same health care. When I was stationed in the DC area I chose to go to the Bethesda Naval Hospital even though I was in the Army; meaning no borders for where you go.

I would wait out the economy until he can find a better job in his line of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 04:25 PM

4 posts, read 13,485 times
Default Miitary isn't an option, only which branch.

I wish we could wait out the economy, but we can't. I do appreciate your response though. We're relying on our church for food, my dad for gas, and luck for making it month to month. Our kids biological father has been laid off... it's not a good situation. The only reason we're somewhat afloat right now is because my husband's 401k was cancelled and sent to us, he did have 3 jobs not too long ago, and we did some real positive damage with all of that income. My job is only part-time, it's the only one I could get. I'm the type of person who has a job the second I think of one, but in these days, it's just not that way.

Besides, there's a lot of benefits in joining the military. We would get out of debt, have medical, both of us could go back to school, he would receive training and be given opportunities that he just couldn't even touch in our present circumstance. Aside from the fear of the worst happening (which could happen on his way to/from work)... What our family would receive is priceless. It's scary right now for us.. we will get sick - what then? Neither of us can afford to go back to school... even when the economy changes... we won't have anything to show for our time spent in the meantime. It's not a permanent situation we want for our children. Besides, the economy isn't changing any year soon.

Last edited by AirForceorNavy; 12-23-2009 at 04:53 PM..

Old 12-23-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceorNavy View Post
I wish we could wait out the economy, but we can't. I do appreciate your response though. We're relying on our church for food, my dad for gas, and luck for making it month to month. Our kids biological father has been laid off... it's not a good situation. The only reason we're somewhat afloat right now is because my husband's 401k was cancelled and sent to us, he did have 3 jobs not too long ago, and we did some real positive damage with all of that income. My job is only part-time, it's the only one I could get. I'm the type of person who has a job the second I think of one, but in these days, it's just not that way.

Besides, there's a lot of benefits in joining the military. We would get out of debt, have medical, both of us could go back to school, he would receive training and be given opportunities that he just couldn't even touch in our present circumstance. Aside from the fear of the worst happening (which could happen on his way to/from work)... What our family would receive is priceless. It's scary right now for us.. we will get sick - what then? Neither of us can afford to go back to school... even when the economy changes... what then?? It's not a permanent situation we want for our children. Besides, the economy isn't changing any year soon.
In light of all the additional information the question might become which branch of the military will take him and in what position.

As you and he might know the services have met their recruiting goals for the year due to the bad economy. Translation: It might be difficult to join in a timely manner and get a good position/job. Also sometimes there are restrictions as to the number of dependants a new recruit can have and age.

I presume he has a 4 year degree if he works as a mechanical engineer so I would recommend he try to become an officer; rank, money, prestige.

Something you both have to keep in mind is that once he enlists there is no turning back and he will have to serve his enlistment no matter what the circumstances; there ain't no quit'n.

I am retired with 30 years in the Army and I have no regrets. I have a tidy pension, free medical and other benefits for my wife and I for the rest of our lives.

1. Air Force
2. Navy
3. Army
4. Marine Corps

Good luck

Old 12-23-2009, 05:21 PM

24,140 posts, read 38,906,904 times
Quote:
We have to join the military, the question is, which branch? Air Force or Navy?
The military is a serious commitment, not a problem solver. You left out the Army, Marines and Coast Guard. You never mentioned entering as enlisted or officer. There may be a wait to get in the military. He may not be qualified to enter the military.

The two of you need to start talking to all the recruiters. Is the National Guard a possibility? How about Reserves?

Some of the info you have is not entirely correct or just wrong. I am retired Army. My kids were born at an Air Force Base and my daughter once received medical treatment at a Navy hospital... There are several Air Force bases in Florida. There are no deserts there... Presidents of the United States have received medical treatment at Army hospitals...

Someone mentioned Military.com Mobile | Headline News , you need to start reading it right now.

Rich

Old 12-23-2009, 05:46 PM

Thank you so much for your responses. We have done a lot of reading from military.com and various other sites, and will continue to do so. Yes, my husband does have his. B.S. from SDSU. We're already in process with the Air Force officer recruiter. She said we'll meet up in Feb. or Mar., then set the date for him to test. Then he'll go in front of the board in July. This is how we know that he wouldn't be able to get into the Air Force until 7 months from now. We have several Navy friends, and we're in the process of scheduling dinner with one of the two families we've picked to sit down with.

I'm learning so much already, this is why I love sites like this one. The more people you talk to, the more you learn, the better decision you can make.

I was an Army wife, and had my marraige been healthier and happier... I would have enjoyed the experience. Separation wasn't too bad, even though his training in total was nearly a year long. We lived in Ft. Sill, that's where my son was born. I quickly made friends, found comfort in our church, and kept busy. I know I can hold up my end, but it takes two, plus the kids, and their birth father. Luckily, he's behind us all the way and is actually looking forward to a change of everything.

My father keeps saying my husband's the kind that'll probably turn career. I kinda feel that way too.

One very important factor that I forgot to mention is that while at college my husband (in his junior year) learned of the ROTC program there. He approached them, but they said he was so far into his schooling that he should finish. He did just that, got a job, and stayed put. He was wanting to join...

Old 12-23-2009, 06:59 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,439,775 times
He definitely needs to talk to an officer recruiter for different branches to see who would even take him with debt and all the dependents. There will most likely be waivers needed. Going in as an O-1 will be easier financially than the young people with financial problems enlisting as E1 or E2, so the debt might not be as much of a problem.

AF seems to be the pickiest b/c of popularity.

I am an AF spouse and I like the AF. My husband who has had opportunity to go to various services' bases' lodging etc...can attest to the AF facilities being pretty good in comparison. We lived on a NAS (naval air station) overseas and it was not bad, but I guess AF life is more "laid back".

Good luck with your decision.

Oh, and yes, Military.com is great. Slower than city data, but obviously the focus on the military is what you are looking for. They have "looking to join" sub forums/threads in each service's forum. There is also a forum for spouses and families (military life, spouses, and community).

Old 12-23-2009, 10:19 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,018,139 times
Quote:

Besides, there's a lot of benefits in joining the military. We would get out of debt, have medical, both of us could go back to school, he would receive training and be given opportunities that he just couldn't even touch in our present circumstance. Aside from the fear of the worst happening (which could happen on his way to/from work)... What our family would receive is priceless. It's scary right now for us.. we will get sick - what then? Neither of us can afford to go back to school... even when the economy changes... we won't have anything to show for our time spent in the meantime. It's not a permanent situation we want for our children. Besides, the economy isn't changing any year soon.
I think you're over estimating the immediate financial benefits. Your husband won't make much money during the first years.

You'll not have a chance of paying off debt for a long time. Your husband will be denied clearances for having debt.

You need to be realistic about what the military life can do for your family.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:27 PM

A good chunk of our debt is under my parents name, we each have a student loan, and so while we look like our income right now is substantial, in actuality, it's just enough to get our noses above the water. We're are not looking into the military to 'get rich'... fact is:

Right now we're paying for housing out of his paycheck.

We don't qualify for medical.

We're paying for his student loan.

We don't have a $200 food allowance.

We pay out of pocket for his work clothes.

All of this would be taken care of in the military, no matter which service. The math speaks for itself. Joining the military would be a HUGE change in our financial situation.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:44 PM

After learning more and seeing that you have your mind right I agree that military serve is a good option for your family. I hope your husband sees it your way.

I also agree with a previous poster that any service will work for your situation if you and your husband give it your all. The big question is how long you can hold out versus what service you select.

Lastly I want to remind you that to excel in the military the service person almost needs to put the service ahead of family. Translation: your husband will need your 110% support to pull this off for the family while he does the deal.

Once again good luck and please keep us posted; I wish you and your family only the best.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:54 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,018,139 times
If he's only making 35k right now, it would be financially beneficial to go into the military.

If he's making 60k, it's not going to be what you think. You're going to struggle during the first years.

A family of 4 struggles on 100k these days. It's the reality of the economy.

Only go into the military if he can get in as an officer. As enlisted, you won't be able to make it any better than you are in the civilian world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues