U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:06 AM

28,962 posts, read 45,825,137 times

Advertisements

I am career Navy, reading your OP, I would have to say Air Force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 11:00 AM

302 posts, read 1,363,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojulybabies View Post
I have no problems going to training in another state, etc. And quite frankly, I just moved "here" in July, so I guess I'll move just about anywhere.

What will this new life for myself bring to the kids? I have 10 and 7 year old boys. I'm a girl, BTW. I pretty much have to make a commitment for 4 years active, then another 4 reserves. Not a problem, but am I pretty much kissing them goodbye for 4 years?????

Oh, I'm not married...but have been "shacking up" with their Dad for the last 12 years.
Just for clarification, I think that if you decide not to get married none of your children will get benefits. Essentially you'll be collecting a paycheck and benefits for yourself, which doesn't sound right. So, when you ask whether you'll be able to see your children, you're really putting yourself in a position to not see your kids for an extended period of time.

Unless of course your boyfriend follows you from duty station to duty station.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:43 PM

2,381 posts, read 4,095,632 times
Her kids will have benefits because they are just that, her kids. They will also have an ID card.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:00 PM

415 posts, read 1,443,350 times
That's why I brought it up and figured it was worth mentioning. I don't know what the ramifications are for my boyfriend. Not having benefits seems to be OK, he works FT. My main concern is the kids. I do know that for "everyone" to follow me around, he has to pay his own way and I *think* I remember hearing that we would be ineligible for base housing if we are not married.

Beekeeper- any specific reasons why?

Old 01-17-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
That's why I brought it up and figured it was worth mentioning. I don't know what the ramifications are for my boyfriend. Not having benefits seems to be OK, he works FT. My main concern is the kids. I do know that for "everyone" to follow me around, he has to pay his own way and I *think* I remember hearing that we would be ineligible for base housing if we are not married.

Beekeeper- any specific reasons why?
'Benefits' means that he could live in base housing with you, or not.

'Benefits' means that he could do his shopping on base, or not.

'Benefits' means that he would be transported with you, him and his stuff, as you go from base to base.

The Navy keeps it's focus on it's ships.

Navy bases tend to be a row of piers and a cluster of warehouses. Navy bases rarely have enough parking for every sailor to drive an automobile. Navy bases rarely have nice facilities.

And the Navy rarely is willing to cut a parent any slack. If your child is sick, or the school has a problem, or whatever; in the Navy you would be expected to continue working and not let it effect you.

The Navy routinely hands out a wider selection of pays and allowances, instead of having nice bases. If you need housing, the Navy freely gives out extra money so that sailors can afford to provide for themselves housing. I have never been on any Navy base that had enough housing for all of it's sailors and their families.

Commonly only E1 - E3s will have rooms in a barracks. All E4 and above will be expected to live off base. To rent or buy their own homes, and to leave their spouse and children behind them each day as they go on base.

In the Navy, if you have a family, then you really need a strong supportive and independent spouse. Someone who is okay with the idea that you would normally disappear for weeks or months at a time. And a spouse who can continue caring for children in your absence.

It is a better situation for investing and building Net Worth. I have known many sailors who have built very impressive portfolios. It is a better situation for doing college coursework and getting more degrees. I have known many sailors who have completed multiple degrees while on active duty.

But the Navy is not ideal for families with dependents who will require emotional support, or your personal presence as a support.

The AF focuses much more on it's personnel.

AF bases have lots of parking, and rec facilities.

The AF is family friendly, they are willing to cut parent's slack. When a child is sick, or has problem, they will cover for you to go and to tend to your child.

The AF has very nice bases. AF bases have enough housing to house all of their personnel. So only select higher rank folks will be paid to go off base and to buy their own homes.

In the AF, you can be a supportive parent by yourself.

AF bases commonly have day care facilities, swimming pools, parks, gold courses, tennis courts, pool halls, arcades; everything that a family might need or desire to amuse themselves.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:33 AM

24 posts, read 148,969 times
The AF has very nice bases. AF bases have enough housing to house all of their personnel. So only select higher rank folks will be paid to go off base and to buy their own homes.

Not entirely true. We have been AD Air Force 10+ years and have never lived on base and did not have to get a waiver. Always have collected BAH. Yes, housing on the bases where we have lived has been plentiful by military standards (shorter waits) but we have always had the option.

Usually, the only folks we know that live on base are the higher ups, mainly because the commanders had to be close.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:00 AM

I was speaking from my observations. The few times that I have toured AF bases. I have had a few AF renters, renting apartments from me [in each case housing was available to them, but it felt like they were living too close to their jobs. They moved off base and really struggled with it since they could not get BAQ / BAH].

When someone speaks in generality there will obviously be specific instances which show exceptions.

For example there is one Navy base, which is new and is very beautiful. Subase Bangor! But they still have very little housing, and no intention of building more housing. Four lane divided roads going through redwood forest, a very large base, with each section of the base spread out miles apart. In one section, is a cluster of barracks and messhall, offices, milmed, commissary and exchange; all arranged to be within an easy walking distance of each other. Very convenient.
Single sailors who live in the barracks there have a very nice setup. Dependants are not catered to though.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:32 AM

415 posts, read 1,443,350 times
beekeeper - Thanks so much for the detailed explanation and your time.

Thanks to eveyone!

Old 01-18-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
beekeeper - Thanks so much for the detailed explanation and your time.

Thanks to eveyone!
You are welcome.

May God bless you.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:34 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,029,558 times
If you want to join the AF enlisted they will not take you if you are not married and have children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or