U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 12:58 PM

5 posts, read 100,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It is possible to switch services. For Enlisted it is generally easier. For Officers it is much more difficult. But I would not try to plan a career based on those possibilities.

I have two good friends who served in the Navy and retired from the Army. Also Air Force who switched to the Army. And Army who switched to Air Force. I have a close friend who served USMC, AF, Army. And I had a Commander who served USMC and switch to Army. Different times and different situations.

But like I said, I would not try to plan a career based on those possibilities. "active duty enlisted members can apply for an early discharge if they are accepted into the Officer Candidate School/Officer Training School of another service" U.S. Military FAQ -- How do I transfer from one branch of the U.S. Military to another? Read the whole page.

You have a BS degree? The Army offers four ways to become an Officer. You might consider the Direct Commission method.

Air Force appears to have some good programs for medical personnel.

There are a lot of possibilities and no one knows and understands what all the current possibilities are like and how they will turn in the future. No one can predict what path you will take.

There is a lot of information at this site which will provide you with a lot of resources to consider: Joining the United States Military and Books About Becoming a Military Officers

Rich
Thanks a lot for those words! I don't want to really plan for it, but I just wanted to know if the possibility was available. The websites you listed have some good info; thanks.

I currently have a B.S. (actually, I have two, lol...) and will start attending school in fall 2010 for my doctor's degree in pharmacy to become a pharmacist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
1. I believe most of us posting here were enlisted and not officers so our experiences and yours will be totally different; especially you working in the medical field.

2. In order to change services you would have to start out all over again. You would lose your rank and require retraining to that services standards. This is just the way it is and rarely done as an officer; enough said.

3. Contact the ROTC people (all services) at the school you will be attending and get real answers for your situation, not speculation from all of us. With you already having a 4 year degree you would probably start out in the advanced class at ROTC (3rd of 4 years). Also I am betting they will pay for your education which ain't nothing to sneeze at. Of course you have a mandatory commitment once commissioned (6-8 years).

4. Everyone here has recommended the Air Force and that is what I would plan unless another service offered you a better deal. Each service has their own needs and recruiting goals.

5. You could elect to graduate ROTC and then go into the reserves or Air Guard in your medical field (if there was medical units in your area). You would still undergo deployments and see some of the world without biting off a 6-8 year active duty (fulltime) commitment. It is easier to go from a paticular services reserves to active duty status.

6. Do NOT let your interest in the military derail you goal to continue your education and career field; that is #1.

7. See #3

Good luck
Regards to #2, thanks. I just needed that confirmed, and many people were very wishy washy and unhelpful in their replies when I asked elsewhere!

I actually contacted every branch already about their medical programs available. I have narrowed down the branches I am interested in down to Air Force and Navy. Both of them offer a similar scholarship for the medical field where they pay for your tuition for 3 years for 3 years of service. Not a bad deal! But the Navy offers another program that I would be more interested in (similar deal, but with additional benefits) - a pro point for the Navy side.

I will also look into ROTC to see if there are any other programs available.

And with regards to #6, I will definitely not sidetrack from my goal in education! I am definitely going to school in the fall (well.... assuming I get in, lol). I want to go into the military as a pharmacist, because it seems like an exciting experience.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 02:09 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,432,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busyizzy View Post
And with regards to #6, I will definitely not sidetrack from my goal in education! I am definitely going to school in the fall (well.... assuming I get in, lol). I want to go into the military as a pharmacist, because it seems like an exciting experience.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!
Good luck and I hope you get into the school of your choice! Its getting competitive out there for PharmD.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:45 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,225,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Good luck and I hope you get into the school of your choice! Its getting competitive out there for PharmD.

True but not everyone is willing to serve their country so this could be an ace in the hole.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:40 PM

460 posts, read 999,650 times
You might want to pose this question on the Student Doctor Network Forum as well. There is a military medical section there. I'm considering HPSP myself, which is a scholarship program for medical professionals. I have noticed, at least for what I'm interested in, different branches have different things they offer, for me the main difference is how many years they will cover.

Here's the link for the Navy's HPSP Pharmacy program navyofficer.info I've talked to this recruiter, he is medical specific, and he is very helpful and not pushy. The important thing is talk to a recruiter who is medical officer specific because, as others have said, it's different than enlisted. You can PM if you need more info.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:44 PM

4,227 posts, read 20,280,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Air Force bases are nice. They are family oriented. They have gyms, rec halls, golf courses, go-cart tracks, theaters, schools, hospitals, ... Often you can live on a AF base and never have any need to leave the base. Everything is provided for you.
What AF base has all of this?

I've never been to one with a go-kart track.

Not every base has all the amenities you speak of. I know first hand stationed at Whiteman the BX is tiny compared to some of the other bases I've been to. So tiny you usually have to drive 10 miles away to the nearest Wal Mart.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:26 AM

744 posts, read 1,048,506 times
As a former marine that has spent time on several different bases, Lackland AFB for MP trainging, Kadena AFB in Okinawa DARE officer training and of course aboard several ships. I would say go AF. You can still travel around the world while on leave by catching military hops (space available flights) and still have the better bases to be stationed at. If you do go medical in the navy you may be stationed with the Marines and you may see alot of places but most of them you would be moving through with great speed. I hope you enjoy your choice and thank you for wanting to serve your country you are a True Amercian.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:05 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,225,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post

Not every base has all the amenities you speak of. I know first hand stationed at Whiteman the BX is tiny compared to some of the other bases I've been to. So tiny you usually have to drive 10 miles away to the nearest Wal Mart.
Congratulations, you managed to pick an extreme example to reference.

I can play the same game, how about the BX on Osan AFB the largest in the Asia or the new BX on Ramstein AFB the largest in Europe?

Old 11-26-2009, 09:58 AM

29,719 posts, read 47,472,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post

I beleive that Castle had a go-cart track.

My point was of course that Air Force bases are 'luxury accomodations' as compared to Navy bases.

It totally flavours the attitudes of the entire service.

I have heard the speech many times [and I have been in a position to give the speech] that repremands a servicemember for bringing issues of his wife or family into work with him. "If it was not issued in your sea-bag; then dont bring it in to work".

I have also seen Air Force personnel and how they seem to care about their people; which is much more than Navy does.

[not slamming the Navy, I did 20 years in the Navy, rather to simply point out differences that I observed.]

Old 11-26-2009, 02:21 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,321,366 times
I would love the airforce only if I got to be a pilot but at 26 and having to wear contacts to see I doubt that would happen my cousin is in afghanstan right now with the canadian armed forces he is in artillary

Old 11-26-2009, 04:00 PM

23,630 posts, read 21,964,687 times
Coast Guard.... Serious best of both.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues