U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 06:59 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,886,806 times

Advertisements

TakeAhike, I was in a whole different Air Force than the Special Operations folks! The elite forces in every branch of the military have only the best folks and are more highly trained than the rest of us in the "normal" military. Once you're qualified for something like Special Forces, Pararescue, SEALs, etc. you see and do things the rest of us can never even dream of. Your friend might be well served by talking to those who serve in the Special Ops arena (perhaps a Recruiter can assist him in that effort). Don't know that I can recommend one branch over another, we all have different missions. Pick the branch that best fits your desires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 07:49 AM

3,422 posts, read 9,438,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Good to see the Crew Chief over here---I hope he or others can answer my question.

I know someone who is trying to decide between Army/Special Forces and the Marines. I really don't know what to tell him. He will be a good officer in either branch I am certain.

tia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
TakeAhike, I was in a whole different Air Force than the Special Operations folks! The elite forces in every branch of the military have only the best folks and are more highly trained than the rest of us in the "normal" military. Once you're qualified for something like Special Forces, Pararescue, SEALs, etc. you see and do things the rest of us can never even dream of. Your friend might be well served by talking to those who serve in the Special Ops arena (perhaps a Recruiter can assist him in that effort). Don't know that I can recommend one branch over another, we all have different missions. Pick the branch that best fits your desires.

TAH - He can take a look at specialtactics.com - its for AF special tactics - but still a good source of information (and who knows it might pique his interest). There are also forums on military.com where he could ask service-specific questions.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:50 AM

24,138 posts, read 38,883,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I know someone who is trying to decide between Army/Special Forces and the Marines. I really don't know what to tell him. He will be a good officer in either branch I am certain.
The Air Force and the Navy also have their own "Special Forces".

Entering as an officer is a different issue. In the Army if you become a Commissioned Officer you generally enter a field, not always in "Special Forces". Then there are Warrant Officers, which the Air Force does not have.

GoArmy.com > Special Forces > Qualifications & Benefits

GoArmy.com > About the Army > Service Options

You might have your friend start visiting recruiters and reading up on the military. Here is one good site: United States Military Information

Rich

Old 12-01-2009, 08:22 AM

418 posts, read 914,270 times
Thank you Forest B.
Well after spending 20 years in the USAF, being assigned to Germany for 4 years then many state bases then 4 years in Japan. I would do it all over again in a heart beat. One bad year out of 20 is not bad ( SEA 66,67 ) Photographer,aerial recon.

Last edited by John Buettner; 12-01-2009 at 09:16 AM..

Old 12-01-2009, 08:26 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,388,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
TAH - He can take a look at specialtactics.com - its for AF special tactics - but still a good source of information (and who knows it might pique his interest). There are also forums on military.com where he could ask service-specific questions.
Thanks, Crew Chief--I have heard that the Air Force is 'different' from other branches of the military--more intelligent people--that is what I was told.

I would want to be in the Air Force if I were choosing a branch of the military I think, if that is true.

My principal was a Marine and he strongly felt that there was no finer branch of the military. I know about the Marine Corps--Paris Island--don't think I could make it in the Marines.

The Army--I think the Special Forces of the Army think that 'They' are the Best. The military is certainly a good thing to have ---all of it. I am proud of all the Troops---I know that. I simply can't decide which is the 'Best'.

I happen to know someone who decided during the Viet Nam era to go to Ranger School. I understood that these were fearless, Green Beret, warriors--I don't know what has happened to this person--he now seems very 'lackiing in courage'--it may not be a military issue---he was so intent on his career choice that he really couldn't think of much else--maybe he has some regrets.

I guess I should 'Help' him---I am a Teacher--and when you get that degree you are told 'You can and will do Everything to change the world'--because that is what Teachers DO. And you are told you will Love this career choice, work 24/7 for the good of society and never expect any thanks. I have 2 degrees in this--so I guess I understand why a member of the military--who only focused on 'Special Missions' would need help from a Teacher.

How powerful we are---'The hand that rocks the cradle' and all of That.

I can tell you this---I got tired of hearing that sort of Thing and after some really challenging 'Missions' --when I was told---Be Grateful that you are Alive and don't complain---I no longer want such a career.

I have heard members of the military lol and say--'I did that--military--and now I get 2 salaries--work for the government and it is 'Sweet'. That irritates me--in 'The Profession' we are told--you really don't need a lot of money---get creative and perform your miracles with loaves and fishes.

If the military treats its employees better--I wish I had joined a branch of It.

More of a creative person and didn't really consider myself 'military material'--but now that I have seen 'GI Jane'--Demi More and another film with ??not Bette Midler--Goldie Hawn---that's it--she joined the Army I think and learned to love it. Best thing that ever happened to her---I am something like Goldie Hawn--so if that film is 'true'--I would have done well in the military.

spanx

Old 12-01-2009, 03:15 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,965,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOWN_REPRESENTA View Post
if you're really concerned about deployments and not wanting to, i would go with the coast guard. damn near all coast guard are in the continental u.s. with a few in places like hawaii, guam, and puerto rico. oh yeah, alaska as well. and depending on the rate you choose, you may only spend about 3-5 years of your entire career on a ship.

also, unlike the other services, you get to pick where you want to go. you may not get your 1st pick, but the coast guard will rarely send someone somewhere they don't want to go. if i were you, i would look into it.
I've seen this twice, what does it mean?

Old 12-01-2009, 03:41 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,431,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busyizzy View Post
Hi guys! I'm new here. I found the forums after spending many hours upon days of searching this, and I finally decided I wanted some feedback on my personal circumstance. I have talked to recruiters, but thus far, they've been rather unhelpful and unresponsive.

I am 23, not married, no kids; a woman if it matters. I have a BS, and I am currently applying to pharmacy school. My plan is to start school in Fall 2010 and graduate in 2014. I was considering different jobs as a pharmacist, and I've been very fixated on joining the military. It seems like a great opportunity! I am about 90% decided that I will join - the question is, which branch!

I have looked into all the branches, and have narrowed it down to the Air Force and the Navy. Now, everyone - family and friends - have been pushing me towards the Air Force. And my common sense tells me they're right! From what I hear, they have the best and most stable living environment and bases. You're not deployed as much. It's the best for "family life." And logically, it seems so right.

But then, there's just something in me that can't help but consider the Navy. I hear in the Navy, you get deployed more often to many more places. As their slogan says, you get to see the world! I love love love to travel, and ... it'd be no exaggeration for me to say that I do want to see the world! Travel to different places - yes, both the pleasant good places and the less "bad" places - and just experience it all. But at the same time, yes you ARE deployed very often - right now, this is a plus for me, but when I get married and have a family (which I do want to!) a few years down the line, I don't think that I would welcome those deployments as much. But still, I'm not sure how to explain it, but I'm drawn to the Navy.

So during my first 3-4 years, I think I'd love to spend time in the Navy, but afterward, when I get married and think towards kids, I don't think the Navy would be such a great choice.

If I did chose the Navy, is it possible to request a more stable location without getting deployed all the time? Do you get that option as a pharmacist/health care worker in the Navy? I KNOW there is no such thing as a guarantee, but ... just the probability of it? If you request to be situated in one place and not moved around for a few years, is it usually granted or not?

And ... well, if all else fails, what about switching from one branch to another? When you are at x rank in say, the Navy and you want to switch to the Air Force, do you stay at x rank, do you move down a few ranks, or do you start at the bottom when you move? How hard is it to switch? Like I said, I think I'd love to do the Navy, but once the family kicks in, I think I'd want to do the Air Force. Should I just stick with the Air Force from the beginning instead of trying the switch?

And of course, any opinions on which I should chose and why? I'm not asking for you guys to make my choice, but simply things to consider when I make my choice in the future. Thanks for reading!
At least in the Navy you can say you were in the military, lived the military life,maybe not the Marines but still military.
USAF is about as military as the Girl Scouts, their cookie sales are probably harder, but if soft and easy is how you roll, the AF is for you.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:06 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,388,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
At least in the Navy you can say you were in the military, lived the military life,maybe not the Marines but still military.
USAF is about as military as the Girl Scouts, their cookie sales are probably harder, but if soft and easy is how you roll, the AF is for you.
FWIW--both of my uncles were Navy in WW2. I got to dress up in their old uniforms--they are very nice men. Go Navy!!

I like the sea--and loved 'South Pacific'---those guys were something.

I don't really think I could be in any branch of the military--not a leader or much of a follower. So those of you who can do that---Thank You.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:18 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I've seen this twice, what does it mean?
"Choose your rate, choose your fate"

If you choose to be a seabee, then you will never step on a ship. It will always be construction battalions.

If you choose to be a nuc, then you will live 20 decks down in the bowels of a ship [or on a sub].

If you choose to be a signalman, then you will work up in the crows nest on a ship, always outside and in the weather.

I am an Electronics Tech in the Silent Service, so most of my time was living underwater, and focused on computers. So in a computer room on subs.

In the Navy, you choose what kind of job you want to do. From then on, you eat, sleep, and work within the confines of that choice.

A cook spends nearly all of his time on the messdecks, four meals served every day, every 6 hours.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:29 PM

418 posts, read 914,270 times
One very important thing to remember. Once you sign on that dotted line you put your life on the line. The needs of the military come first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues