Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 04:48 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,635 times

Advertisements

Your both right, this started years ago, with the sisification of the military. My father (1970-90) started to see the change in my military (1989-09) and now I see it more in your military. We need to revive Reagon to hopefully bring back some old school mentality but its probably too late, we are changed forever.

This is very frustrating for our troops trying to make positive progress in a really crappy environment. I hope he wins but past history is against him. This does not help the cause. Why? What result are they looking for? This does nothing but lower troop morale. The government should be ashamed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 07:30 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
I spent a whole lot of time reading up on this (including your sites). I've read the Uniform Code of Military Justice (some of it; it's ungodly long), the Seal Creed, the treatment protocol for Enemy Prisoners of War, etc. And multiple news sites on the issue.

How do you make this trial out to be "politically correct"? The entire process is the antithesis of anything political.

A complaint was made. The complaint was reported to the Seal leader. The Seal leader reported the complaint up the chain of command as required. The complaint was investigated. The Seals were offered a very minor punishment, when it was determined that they were lying. They refused, and they themselves requested a Court Martial, aka a jury trial. This was their right under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

I'm not understanding how following protocol is political. Protocol is written in stone. Not much leeway there for interpretation.

They should have just taken the 'light punishment', but they said they weren't lying.

I hope to God they are exonerated. They must believe they will be, or they wouldn't have gambled on a Court Martial.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:58 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
The thing about court martials is the burden of proof is typically much higher than it is in civilian courts. I've seen it several times through out my career where guilty people requested court martial simply b/c they knew the commands case wasn't air tight and they'd get off.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:21 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
The thing about court martials is the burden of proof is typically much higher than it is in civilian courts. I've seen it several times through out my career where guilty people requested court martial simply b/c they knew the commands case wasn't air tight and they'd get off.
I thought it was curious that they denied any wrong doing, but yet their lawyer admitted they struck the prisoner.

I found a site where there was a discussion by military members. One person was slightly unsympathetic to these Seals. So it makes sense then that they were very well aware of the high burden of proof that's needed.

P.S.: Are the transcripts of Court Martial released or available to the civilian population?

Last edited by Wicked Felina; 11-26-2009 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: ps.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:32 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
...and in the upcoming 'civilian' court case in New York is already tainted now that the President has already declared the defendents guilty.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:43 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
I watched a documentary about a Nazi prison camp. They were talking with the British soldiers who survived the camp after being rescued by the American troops. Upon being rescued, the British troops who thought they had it so rough were shocked to discover what was going on in the nearby concentration camps. They volunteered to help the Americans help the rescued concentration camp prisoners. One man said the American doctor told him to give the people sips of water. The American Doctor ordered a German prisoner to get some water. The German prisoner told him he doesn't get things for Jewish dogs. The American doctor pulled out his service pistol and shot the German prisoner dead and turned to the one next to him and ordered him to get the water. He did so without any back talk or hesitation. That's how you run a war. We would have lost WW2 if we'd had today's press, today's congress, today's president, and today's PC enviroment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues