Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 02:04 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,817 times

Advertisements

Did you made the choice to go green out of school (right)? Or, did they just take a percentage of the males from each class?

Maybe your Medical Commander wanted you to go because he thinks you know your stuff? I know that there were 10 or so Corpsmen in our area. We would get attached at the platoon level to different regiments and it seemed like the same 4-5 guys would deploy/do training with us/others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 02:25 PM

108 posts, read 386,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
Did you made the choice to go green out of school (right)? Or, did they just take a percentage of the males from each class?

Maybe your Medical Commander wanted you to go because he thinks you know your stuff? I know that there were 10 or so Corpsmen in our area. We would get attached at the platoon level to different regiments and it seemed like the same 4-5 guys would deploy/do training with us/others.
it was pretty much out of my hands. I was in bootcamp when 9/11 happened. After that they decided to send the majority of male corpsman to Marine units. Most of the people I went with ended up with Support Groups. There were only a handful of us that actually went to grunt units. I don't think that knowing your stuff should be a reason to send the same people over and over again, because how does the Navy think we got our expierence..by sending us in the first place. I just think maybe it boils down to manning up and following orders vs complaining and trying to find a way out of your duties..
which brings me back to setting a policy to avoid abusing the same group of people over and over again...
and i still would like to know why ship board personnel get the same hazard pay as those on the ground recieving direct and indirect fire...

Old 12-03-2009, 04:00 PM

303 posts, read 1,560,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
and i still would like to know why ship board personnel get the same hazard pay as those on the ground recieving direct and indirect fire...
Who gets hazardous duty pay? I know flight deck gets hazardous duty pay because it's hazardous and they're taking risks with their lives.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:20 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Some corpsmen never serve on ships either. The entire time my father-in-law was in the Navy he was either at Pearl Harbor or San Diego for WW2 and Korea. The dead and returning wounded passed through his door. Things like that happen. You could look at it as they trusting your skills as an HM in combat. Admit it, there are some HMs you've worked with who are just not suited to working in combat.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:31 PM

108 posts, read 386,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takes1 2 Know1 View Post
Who gets hazardous duty pay? I know flight deck gets hazardous duty pay because it's hazardous and they're taking risks with their lives.
ok i could be wrong, but don't ship board people that are floating in the persian gulf in support of OIF get paid hazard duty pay, since they are supporting OIF?

Old 12-03-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Wish we could have qualified for hazardous duty pay down in the engine/fire room. Check out the USS Iwo Jima LPH-2 October 1990 steam leak for example. Ten guys killed. Six killed instantly, their eyes still open. Four died later, their bodies cooked and turned to jelly. One pinhole leak in a superheated steam line can kill. They teach us to look for the leak using a broomstick. You waive the broomstick up and down in front of you. Where the stick snaps off, that's the leak. If you did it with your finger, it'll cut off your finger and burn it so there's no blood. Walk past the leak and it could cut you in half. Deck department should have had hazardous duty pay back when they used synthetic mooring lines. Snap back kills. After the steam leak accident, the Marines were terrified to set foot in the engine/fire room. Many said they'd rather face bullets in the field where they'd have a fighting chance. You can't fight superheated steam. During Desert Storm we received eminent danger pay. Two Navy ships were hit by mines.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
ok i could be wrong, but don't ship board people that are floating in the persian gulf in support of OIF get paid hazard duty pay, since they are supporting OIF?
Let's see, there's sea pay, chock and chain pay and SAR swimmer pay (I think) and that's on a destroyer, I can't vouch for the carriers and what type of allowances they receive. I think you're getting tax-free pay and hazardous duty pay confused. Everyone gets tax-free pay aboard ship once we cross into the gulf--for the entire time while in port and at sea. That pay lasts about 2.5 to 3 months, if I remember correctly.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Deck department should have had hazardous duty pay back when they used synthetic mooring lines. Snap back kills. After the steam leak accident, the Marines were terrified to set foot in the engine/fire room. Many said they'd rather face bullets in the field where they'd have a fighting chance. You can't fight superheated steam. During Desert Storm we received eminent danger pay. Two Navy ships were hit by mines.
The tugs actually still use sythetic the last time I heaved around on a line. Whenever you would hear a crack while on the forecastle everyone would look on with nervousness.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
The tugs actually still use sythetic the last time I heaved around on a line. Whenever you would hear a crack while on the forecastle everyone would look on with nervousness.
October 31, 1992 the USS Iwo Jima LPH-2 was tied up to the pier. A freak storm came out of no where with strong winds. The ship began to lean away from the pier. We started to smell a burn smell and heard the mooring lines humming. Someone with a brain ordered the weight room evacuated along with other areas with mooring lines. One brain dead jerk got lucky and tried to run up the brow. He made it up just before it fell. That was when the lines began to snap. The people on the pier all stayed on the bus for protection. The sound of the mooring lines hitting the side of the ship was like a cannon firing. Never forget that smell and the sound those mooring lines made when they were humming.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:00 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
When I was on the USS America, we went into the gulf for about 4 days, November 29-Dec2 and we got 2 full months tax free, 2 months haz duty pay as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues