Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 12:13 PM

436 posts, read 1,519,743 times

Advertisements

My husband is thinking of enlisting to the army and after reading the thread about whether or not military bases ruin a town, I have some questions.

What schools do military kids attend? Are they on base or off base? For the most part are off base schools located in a good school district? Are there any that are located in an unsafe district?

Any other info about being in the military with kids would be great Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 12:23 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,020,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
My husband is thinking of enlisting to the army and after reading the thread about whether or not military bases ruin a town, I have some questions.

What schools do military kids attend? Are they on base or off base? For the most part are off base schools located in a good school district? Are there any that are located in an unsafe district?

There are of course a thousand +- schools that serve Army bases around the world. Some bases have Depart of Defense (DOD) schools on base and on others kids attend local schools. DOD schools tend to be better on average than public schools. As far as the rest of the schools that is impossible to lump into one catagory and would need to be researched one school at a time.

One thing about a military base and kids is that you will rarely find a safer place to raise them than on a military installation.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:39 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,879,984 times
Like Balad said, some bases have DoD schools ( mostly overseas though there are a few DoD schools in the states).

Stateside, its usually going to be the local zoned school for wherever you live, on or off base. Its something you have to look at individually with each assignment. In general elementary schools are not the issue as much as when you have a mid or high school aged child.

You can pick where you want to live in the local area - you don't have to live on base and be subject to having your kids attend the zoned schools for the base if you don't like them. Its what we do. Living on base would be a whole lot more convenient for us but I did not have the money to send 3 kids to private school and was not satisfied with the zoned school, so we chose to live in a different district.

In a big city, the base might not be in the best area. But it really depends. Where we lived before, my kids would have gone to mid and high school with the kids that lived on base. School zoning for base residents was satisfactory in my opinion. We just did not want to live on base there.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:31 PM

26,688 posts, read 41,588,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post

Depends on the base.

Some examples:

Ft. Knox, KY: has DOD school on base which is good, also have Elizabethtown to the South which has good public schools.

Ft. Monore, VA: No DOD schools, schools on the Southside of Hampton are not good. 30 minutes North in York County great public schools.

Bolling AFB, DC: No DOD schools, schools are horrid in the surrounding area in DC.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:15 PM

217 posts, read 1,755,660 times
Depends I have had good and bad experience with schools depends on the base.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:28 PM

45,046 posts, read 60,086,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Depends on the base.

Some examples:

Ft. Knox, KY: has DOD school on base which is good, also have Elizabethtown to the South which has good public schools.

Ft. Monore, VA: No DOD schools, schools on the Southside of Hampton are not good. 30 minutes North in York County great public schools.

Bolling AFB, DC: No DOD schools, schools are horrid in the surrounding area in DC.
Andrews AFB, MD. Schools pretty crappy. Prince George's County.

Ft. Meade, MD. On base high school (Meade HS), one of worst in Anne Arundel County. Lots of Section 8 and public
housing in attendance area.

Patuxent River NAS, MD. St. Mary's County schools generally good although some of the elementary schools surrounding the base have issues.

US Naval Academy, MD. Annapolis schools are a mix of wealthy and very poor with the attendant issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues