U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 12-02-2009, 02:24 PM
 
108 posts, read 221,198 times
Reputation: 39
Default Disgruntled Former Corpsman

I have been out of the Navy now for about 3 years now, and every now and then I start to think about how unfair green side (Marine) corpsman are treated compared to their wet side counterparts.
I did two combat tours with the Marines as a corpsman and finally got shore duty, at that point they tried pulling me to go back to iraq for a 3rd time and a few months later tried pulling me to afghanistan for a year tour. I worked with 30 other corpsman that never deployed any where. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been in this situation. This seems a bit unfair. Maybe one of you old salt dogs can chime in and provide some reasoning behind this...i won't even touch how unfair it is for a corpsman on the ground vs a corpsman on a ship get the same hazard duty pay......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 12-02-2009, 03:57 PM
 
Location: The land of milk and honey...Tucson, AZ
284 posts, read 837,207 times
Reputation: 175
I'm not proficient with HM lingo. I'm assuming that the green side corpsman do their deployments in the Middle East or in very hostile areas while the wet side corpsman do their sea duty time aboard a ship.

So, what would differentiate you from green side to wet side corpsman? Could it be a crucial NEC that you hold? It could be that you have the experience needed to be in a hostile situation and have proven yourself to be placed in that type of environment--I'm thinking the detailer may view you as person who has the requisite experience in a particular theater and instead of choosing a person from the wet side to deploy to the desert, they (detailers) pick someone who is "accustomed" to that type of environment. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-02-2009, 11:10 PM
 
664 posts, read 1,088,476 times
Reputation: 215
They are deployed much more but they are treated well by the marines in thier unit. But yes, they are gone SO much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-03-2009, 05:38 AM
 
2,176 posts, read 4,024,087 times
Reputation: 1198
Sorry to shatter your dream, but life isn't fair...

I know a few Air Force folks who work come in late, have two hour lunches and leave early everyday who on average work 5 hours a day. Some get enlistment and re-enlistments bonuses...One in particular got purposely pregnant to get out of deployment and again to get out additional duties of an Unit Inspection...There are also Air Force "flyers" who are gone for a total of five days and get tax-free re-enlistment bonuses and all sorts of other entitlements for simply tipping their aircrafts wing in a combat zone...More planes "break down" in Hawaii than anywhere else. What should normally take a few hours to fix takes a week in Hawaii. I wonder why? lol

None of these things apply to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-03-2009, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Fuquay Varina
1,560 posts, read 2,474,187 times
Reputation: 1811
My sis is an HMCS and an IDC, she so far has never had to deploy with marines, though she had to qualify with the marines for the IDC school. She said the people staying on ships and shore duty are usually the corpsman with more schools, ie xray or PT techs.

Maybe if you can get a school sometime it might help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-03-2009, 09:30 AM
 
108 posts, read 221,198 times
Reputation: 39
i'm just glad i'm not the only one that can see all the bs that takes place, but here is my question...
if all these higher ups know this type of stuff happens, why don't they put some policies in place to prevent that type of abuse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-03-2009, 11:04 AM
 
Location: New Mexico USA
15,800 posts, read 14,802,455 times
Reputation: 15875
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
i'm just glad i'm not the only one that can see all the bs that takes place, but here is my question...
if all these higher ups know this type of stuff happens, why don't they put some policies in place to prevent that type of abuse?
1. Have you been in the military?

2. Specifically what "bs" are you talking about?

3. This "bs" does not occur in civilian life?



Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-03-2009, 01:10 PM
 
108 posts, read 221,198 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
1. Have you been in the military?

2. Specifically what "bs" are you talking about?

3. This "bs" does not occur in civilian life?



Rich



1. i served for a total of 8 years, not because i enjoyed it..but because i had to extend to avoid a 3rd tour to Iraq
i did two tours to iraq with 2nd Batallion 5th Marines (front lines) as a corpsman

2. did you not read the posts..the bs i am talking about is the fact that people can get out of doing deployments way too easily

3. it does not occur that often in civilian life because if you try to get out of doing your job, you will be fired...not so much the case in the military sector
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-03-2009, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
518 posts, read 968,087 times
Reputation: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
1. i served for a total of 8 years, not because i enjoyed it..but because i had to extend to avoid a 3rd tour to Iraq
i did two tours to iraq with 2nd Batallion 5th Marines (front lines) as a corpsman

2. did you not read the posts..the bs i am talking about is the fact that people can get out of doing deployments way too easily

3. it does not occur that often in civilian life because if you try to get out of doing your job, you will be fired...not so much the case in the military sector
It's not just Corpsmen that have those issues. It's pretty much all branches and all MOS's!

Honestly, I think it's just luck of the draw as far as which unit you get assigned to out of MOS school. My son got out and reclassed into a new MOS when he reenlisted. His MOS is Aircraft Rescue and Firefighter. He was sent to an air station where they do NOTHING but sit around and wait for something to crash. Some of his buddies ended up in other units where they actually get to go out and fight fires... Like I said, luck of the draw...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-03-2009, 02:00 PM
 
2,893 posts, read 3,796,412 times
Reputation: 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post
It's not just Corpsmen that have those issues. It's pretty much all branches and all MOS's!

Honestly, I think it's just luck of the draw as far as which unit you get assigned to out of MOS school. My son got out and reclassed into a new MOS when he reenlisted. His MOS is Aircraft Rescue and Firefighter. He was sent to an air station where they do NOTHING but sit around and wait for something to crash. Some of his buddies ended up in other units where they actually get to go out and fight fires... Like I said, luck of the draw...
Even in the Marine Corps, over half of the personnel have never deployed, but there are indivduals and specific units who have been over 3 or 4 times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top