U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 09:10 PM

12 posts, read 79,495 times

Advertisements

My husband got his base and it was Japan, we don't want to move over there we just had a baby not to long ago. I was wondering has anyone ever heard of an over seas base being traded? Also have you ever heard of a trade being denied. Thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 10:46 PM

1,476 posts, read 4,034,862 times
What base in Japan? Going to Japan could be a great assignment. Don't know of anyone who traded overseas assignments.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:42 PM

8,163 posts, read 12,817,106 times
I don't know if it's still true but when I was in,in the early 90's you could swap with someone who is the same rank and same specialty.It mostly held true when you were at one base and someone at another and you wanted to exchange current duty asignments.I would check with your admin office to find out the particulars.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:03 AM

3,184 posts, read 9,224,316 times
You can still swap, but I think you only have 7 days from reciept of the orders. You husband needs to go to AMS and look under assignments, there will be a link for exchanges that he can use to post an add, or see if anyone has already posted an add trying to go to Japan. He can also talk to his local assignments office and they can give him advice, or have him call AFPC (number is on vMPF or AMS) and they will advise him.

Chances are SLIM though.... don't want to give you false hope. The good news about going for a couple years, is that you can come back with thousands of dollars in the bank, amazing experiences, and have priority for the assignment that you want.

You can have tons of family visit, who would never have otherwise had the opportunity to go to Japan. If they can't aford tickets, you will have plenty of extra money with the COLA that you'll be getting.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:17 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,226,830 times
One thing to learn as a career military member/family is to get your mind right and accept new assignments and taskings. Not that you shouldn't request particular assignments/taskings but once done you accept and make the best of it. Service members or families that canít get their mind right drag down the memberís performance and attitude.

Iím not trying to be harsh and this might not pertain to you but after 30 years in the military I learned a thing or two.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:07 PM

12 posts, read 79,495 times
We wouldn't mind going but right now with just having a baby, i'm in a custody battle for my other daughter, and my grandma is in bad health, we don't want to risk going and something happen. He went down yesterday to change the base. We will find out tomorrow (well today) They told him he can trade the commander just needs to approve it. I wasn't sure if anyone has ever heard someone swapping an over seas base for state side base.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:46 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,226,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceWife87 View Post
We wouldn't mind going but right now with just having a baby, i'm in a custody battle for my other daughter, and my grandma is in bad health, we don't want to risk going and something happen. He went down yesterday to change the base. We will find out tomorrow (well today) They told him he can trade the commander just needs to approve it. I wasn't sure if anyone has ever heard someone swapping an over seas base for state side base.
I undestand and I hope he is able to swap assignments. If not then I would let him accept his assignment (with your full support) and then join him when you've got the situation under control on the home front.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:03 AM

111 posts, read 244,691 times
My daughter is in th AF and has been for 8 years. She happens to be here on leave so I asked her and here is what she said. "Japan is a beautiful place and very family oriented. You can swap an assignment but you will have to pay for your move out of your pocket, not worth it with the cost. But he can deny one set of orders. The only string with that is that the next set that comes up he will have to take." Both my son and daughter lived in Okinawa and loved it, they both can't wait to go back and my son talks about moving there after he retires. My suggestion is to talk to your husband and see if you are both willing to deny the assignment and take whatever comes next, Korea is very hot right now depending on your husbands career field. I hope this helps and good luck with everything.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:28 AM

3,184 posts, read 9,224,316 times
You do not have to pay out of pocket. There used to be a "permissive PCS" and you paid out of pocket, but the Air Force canceled that option in September. They would have to pay for her to move anyway, so they will just move funds around.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:13 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,258,823 times
There are only certain situations in which you can turn down PCS orders. This link has all the information you need:
AFPC - Air Force Personnel Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues