Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 10,543 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is being stationed in Charleston in about a year and we are debating whether or not it is worth me going with him or not. It has a great school for me to transfer to and what not but if I am never going to see him it will be hard. Anyone have any intake or experience with family life in the navy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 09:23 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy1213 View Post
My boyfriend is being stationed in Charleston in about a year and we are debating whether or not it is worth me going with him or not. It has a great school for me to transfer to and what not but if I am never going to see him it will be hard. Anyone have any intake or experience with family life in the navy?
I think you'll have to expand on what he does in the Navy to get an answer that will help you. Is he normally shore based, ship, aviation, etc?

Old 12-09-2009, 12:29 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
During my 20+ year Naval career; I did 14 years of 'sea-duty', and 6 years of shore-duty.

My sea-duty was typically 7 months gone each year. By 'gone' I mean no contact, no phone calls, no letters, gone. The remaining 5 months of each of those years, I lived at home with my family, and was usually attending schools or trainers, 6 to 8 hour shifts, Monday - Friday, and nearly every weekend was off.

My shore-duty was rotating shift-work. 12 on / 12 off, one month of days / one month of nights, with 6 days completely 'off' each month. But later as I became middle management my 'off' days commonly required making trips in to work for a couple hours.

IMHO, from my observations, if you two are a 'party' couple, you will hate it and you will leave him. Sorry, I know this sounds blunt and rude.

'We' bought an apartment building at nearly every duty station, which my Dw managed. It kept her busy and active. She owned a laundromat at one duty station, a catering service at another. 'We' were also foster-parents, though admittedly my Dw did most of it. 'We' were active with 4H with our children.

If you can busy yourself, and be independent like that. then you will be seen as a tower of strength and stability among the wives' club.

Honestly, if your guy is going to be gone or busy as much as I was; then the only way for it to work well, is for you to be busy.

Careers are very hard for wives to do. Moving to a new duty station every 3 to 4 years is rough on corporate ladder climbing. Which is why my 'we' chose for her to do all of those independent things.

Good luck

If you have any further questions feel free to PM me

Old 12-09-2009, 12:40 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
During my 20+ year Naval career; I did 14 years of 'sea-duty', and 6 years of shore-duty.

My sea-duty was typically 7 months gone each year. By 'gone' I mean no contact, no phone calls, no letters, gone. The remaining 5 months of each of those years, I lived at home with my family, and was usually attending schools or trainers, 6 to 8 hour shifts, Monday - Friday, and nearly every weekend was off.

My shore-duty was rotating shift-work. 12 on / 12 off, one month of days / one month of nights, with 6 days completely 'off' each month. But later as I became middle management my 'off' days commonly required making trips in to work for a couple hours.

IMHO, from my observations, if you two are a 'party' couple, you will hate it and you will leave him. Sorry, I know this sounds blunt and rude.

'We' bought an apartment building at nearly every duty station, which my Dw managed. It kept her busy and active. She owned a laundromat at one duty station, a catering service at another. 'We' were also foster-parents, though admittedly my Dw did most of it. 'We' were active with 4H with our children.

If you can busy yourself, and be independent like that. then you will be seen as a tower of strength and stability among the wives' club.

Honestly, if your guy is going to be gone or busy as much as I was; then the only way for it to work well, is for you to be busy.

Careers are very hard for wives to do. Moving to a new duty station every 3 to 4 years is rough on corporate ladder climbing. Which is why my 'we' chose for her to do all of those independent things.

Good luck

If you have any further questions feel free to PM me
Excellent advice

Old 12-09-2009, 05:12 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Excellent advice
Ditto.

The Navy is probably the hardest on family life even in peacetime. The sea duty, which is what the Navy is about, ensures long stretches away from home. Then you have guys that like sea duty (especially aviators) so they try to catch on anywhere they can to keep flying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues