U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-14-2009, 05:53 PM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
17,686 posts, read 19,189,975 times
Reputation: 20349

Advertisements

An incomplete list of "Career Signal OCS Officers" who become generals:
LTG Robert E. Gray
LTG Harold A. Kissinger
LTG Emmett Paige, Jr.
LTG Thomas M. Rienzi
MG Jack Albright
MG Gerald P. Brohm
MG Robert L Childers
MG George M. Douglas
MG David R. Gust
MG John E. Hoover
MG William B. Latta
MG John E. Morrison, Jr.
MG Robert L. Nabors
BG Lawrence E. Adams
BG Ransom E. "Reb" Barber
BG Raymond C. Byrne
BG Albert L. Gore
BG Joyce B. James
BG Wes D. Ogden
BG Kermit A. Patchen
BG Conrad W. Ponder
BG Joseph G. Rebman
BG Albert Redman, Jr.
BG John C. Reppert
BG Creighton L. Rhodes
BG George M. Snead
BG Kenneth R. Symmes
BG James M. Templeman
BG Bernard H. Thorn
BG Wilburn C. Weaver


Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2009, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,023 posts, read 10,000,928 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
This is somewhat true but not entirely. The level of West Point Grads to ROTC/OCS grads reaching the top is fairly even. Tommy Franks, Colin Powell, George W. Casey Jr., Peter Schoomaker, William F. Kernan, J. H. Binford Peay III and many many more did not graduate from the Point.

As far as the original topic goes, David Petraeus is one helluva officer but his ribbon rack is INSANE. I think he has almost every award the Army offers lol. Pretty soon he is going to need an aide to carry what awards wouldn't fit on his chest.

Thank you. It seems I was terribly wrong about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 06:36 PM
 
1,340 posts, read 1,738,456 times
Reputation: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
This is somewhat true but not entirely. The level of West Point Grads to ROTC/OCS grads reaching the top is fairly even. Tommy Franks, Colin Powell, George W. Casey Jr., Peter Schoomaker, William F. Kernan, J. H. Binford Peay III and many many more did not graduate from the Point.

As far as the original topic goes, David Petraeus is one helluva officer but his ribbon rack is INSANE. I think he has almost every award the Army offers lol. Pretty soon he is going to need an aide to carry what awards wouldn't fit on his chest.
Considering how many more other grads there are, WP dominates still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 06:49 PM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
17,686 posts, read 19,189,975 times
Reputation: 20349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Considering how many more other grads there are, WP dominates still.
I don't see how you came up with that. In my 32 year involvement it seemed that West Point Graduates who achieved General Officer rank were about one half or less than OCS/ROTC graduates.

We just need to find some verifiable numbers.


Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Midwest
1,185 posts, read 1,583,646 times
Reputation: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Thank you. It seems I was terribly wrong about that.
Not entirely. Many of the OCS/ROTC grads due in fact have some combat experience under their belt. A lot of times that will trump the ring, but not always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2009, 10:23 AM
 
1,340 posts, read 1,738,456 times
Reputation: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
An incomplete list of "Career Signal OCS Officers" who become generals:
LTG Robert E. Gray
LTG Harold A. Kissinger
LTG Emmett Paige, Jr.
LTG Thomas M. Rienzi
MG Jack Albright
MG Gerald P. Brohm
MG Robert L Childers
MG George M. Douglas
MG David R. Gust
MG John E. Hoover
MG William B. Latta
MG John E. Morrison, Jr.
MG Robert L. Nabors
BG Lawrence E. Adams
BG Ransom E. "Reb" Barber
BG Raymond C. Byrne
BG Albert L. Gore
BG Joyce B. James
BG Wes D. Ogden
BG Kermit A. Patchen
BG Conrad W. Ponder
BG Joseph G. Rebman
BG Albert Redman, Jr.
BG John C. Reppert
BG Creighton L. Rhodes
BG George M. Snead
BG Kenneth R. Symmes
BG James M. Templeman
BG Bernard H. Thorn
BG Wilburn C. Weaver


Rich
I recall reading that the least favored branches for Pointers are Aviation and Signal Corps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2009, 10:26 AM
 
1,340 posts, read 1,738,456 times
Reputation: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Thank you. It seems I was terribly wrong about that.
Aren't WP grads about only 20% of officer corps?
If so, half would give them over a 2 to 1 advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2009, 06:06 PM
 
2,651 posts, read 3,189,413 times
Reputation: 1830
I've always thought we are way to "medal happy" in the US and give out medals for just about everything. Back in the 80's there used to be an unwritten but well understood system for giving out awards to officers as they rotated in & out of assignments. A departing LT would get an AAM or ARCOM, CPT's an ARCOM or MSM, Majors a MSM, etc....

If I was king of the world we would give out campaign ribbons & awards, CMH, DSC, SS, BS, Soldiers Medal (rare), Purple Hearts. We'd have one peacetime commendation medal and kill all the "Joint Service" dopplegangers of the peactime awards.

BTW if you think the generals are bad, check out Army ROTC cadets. When I was at VMI we hosted an annual conference of all the top Army ROTC cadets in the spring. We used to laugh and call them all "Feild Marshall" because they had ribbons, medals, badges and ropes from their necks to their navels given for god knows what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2009, 06:27 PM
 
1,340 posts, read 1,738,456 times
Reputation: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
I've always thought we are way to "medal happy" in the US and give out medals for just about everything. Back in the 80's there used to be an unwritten but well understood system for giving out awards to officers as they rotated in & out of assignments. A departing LT would get an AAM or ARCOM, CPT's an ARCOM or MSM, Majors a MSM, etc....

If I was king of the world we would give out campaign ribbons & awards, CMH, DSC, SS, BS, Soldiers Medal (rare), Purple Hearts. We'd have one peacetime commendation medal and kill all the "Joint Service" dopplegangers of the peactime awards.

BTW if you think the generals are bad, check out Army ROTC cadets. When I was at VMI we hosted an annual conference of all the top Army ROTC cadets in the spring. We used to laugh and call them all "Feild Marshall" because they had ribbons, medals, badges and ropes from their necks to their navels given for god knows what.
If you want to hear some laughing you should hear what British and German officers say about US "medalism" in private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2009, 06:36 PM
 
2,651 posts, read 3,189,413 times
Reputation: 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
If you want to hear some laughing you should hear what British and German officers say about US "medalism" in private.
The British I can tolerate, but then again we don't go around calling our retired officers by their rank til they die either.

Since the Germans never actually go into battle, they can just keep quiet.

In our defense, alot of the awards Americans aregiven are campaign ribbons and the like. We get those because we actually, you know, deploy & fight wars and stuff. I got 4 seperate medals for Desert Storm, the US NDSM for service in wartime, the SW Asian campaign award and "thank you" medals from both Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top