Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 11:34 PM

63 posts, read 137,147 times

Advertisements

I understand why group counseling would not work for some. I have had several years taken by agoraphobia and I know for me, when I talk about it too much it brings on panic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 11:42 PM

I am unfamiliar with the VA's program. I suffer from Agoraphobia. I did 6 years with the Navy and have been a Navy spouse for 14 years. My disorder does not extend from active duty circumstances; although what it does stem from is still a mystery. With that being said, 90 days in treatment is not an answer. Any range of panic and anxiety disorders require medication and behavioral therapy long term. I was in therapy for a solid year. This was late 2005- 2006. I still have to monitor myself and at times kick start myself with visit to a mental health counselor. I cannot even imagine what a short term group therapy would be like. For me that would be counterproductive. Most suffers would be set off by having to listen over and over to others symptoms and stories.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
I't not easy to get compensation for, the psyc evaluation period takes a good 6 months and depending on the severity you are awarded anything from 0-100%.

Exactly...I would bet my hand that in the end, those who are trying to "fake" are weeded out very clearly. There in NO faking the true symptoms. Anyone that begs to differ, I say, I would swap with you anyday and then we can talk.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ting ting View Post
I am diagnose with it. I came home, it didn't settle down, the wife gone, unemployable, over react to everything, va made me crazier with meds, I went from 260 to 192 lbs or so, sleep every few days about 4 hours. Finally I was relieved of duty when I returned to active here at home. I was drug tested of course (obviously he uses cocaine) . Finally I went to a bar, got a glass of Jd. The bartender was an acquaintance and didn't even know it was me. My adrenaline races so badly I figured my heart would just give sometime soon. Booze had zero effect. She gave me Xanax over the bar and told me to go to a private doctor and tell them you want Xanax and a nightly tranquilizer. Saved my life. Woke up in a wet bed, ew, but very happily. About 4 years later now I have almost zero recollection of my tour, where I have been the past 4 years. Finally 4 months ago, a new psyc doc gave me seroquel. Finally the right long term med. I'm finally able to submit a claim after complete 4 years of insanity.
If you know someone who has it bad, seroquel.
Knowing there are people out there that are very good at claims and the system while really they have suffered nothing makes me mad. I happen to know of a person who never left the states, joined the service during the Vietnam era, then the war was over. He worked the system and it's complete bs. He works amongst vets and everyone treats him like a worm.

I am sorry this happened to you. This is the sad fact. Many military medical personnel are not properly trained, they prescribe crap and make the symptoms much worse. I was originally given Klonopin(sp). I had an adverse reaction and felt like I was about to literally blow up. I am so glad to hear you are doing well now. I, too, found relief after losing years of my life.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:56 AM

699 posts, read 1,706,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafriz View Post
Many military medical personnel are not properly trained.
Many mental health personnel in the non-military world are not properly trained either.

I've worked on crisis response teams in Alaska and Minnesota. In following up with clients, I've have been stunned by what they report goes on during meetings with their psychiatrists and counselors. Sometimes it seems as if mental health careers attract people with significant mental health issues.

Even prescribing medications seems to be a hit or miss, trial and error process at times. I am not surprised that your bartender had a better take on what you needed than your psychiatrist.

There are psychiatrists and counselors out there who do good work, but you need to track them down.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:50 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Effective counseling for PTSD is not "re-hashing" war stories, the goal is to effectively move beyond those issues, and dealing with the other problems that occur with PTSD, like anger, frustration, sleeping problems, etc. The goal should be more "Quality of Life" therapy.

Which is why groups led by untrained vets, are usually ineffective. Sorry, there is value in having a vet who has combat experience working with trained therapists, it is another thing to just let a vet lead a counseling group, which takes years of skilled training to effectively manage a suuport group to really be effective for the participants.

The best group would ideally have two leaders, a therapist, and a vet with combat experience. Both would have skills that would benefit the group.

The worst thing about PTSD is how the person affected impacts his family, there are documented cases now of "secondary PTSD" in children of veterans with PTSD.

A veteran was once asssigned by his CO to sleep in the bunk of a guy who blew his head off. I can't even believe how creepy that must have been. He states he still has issues about it, 30 years later.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:17 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Effective counseling for PTSD is not "re-hashing" war stories, the goal is to effectively move beyond those issues, and dealing with the other problems that occur with PTSD, like anger, frustration, sleeping problems, etc. The goal should be more "Quality of Life" therapy.

Which is why groups led by untrained vets, are usually ineffective. Sorry, there is value in having a vet who has combat experience working with trained therapists, it is another thing to just let a vet lead a counseling group, which takes years of skilled training to effectively manage a suuport group to really be effective for the participants.

The best group would ideally have two leaders, a therapist, and a vet with combat experience. Both would have skills that would benefit the group.

The worst thing about PTSD is how the person affected impacts his family, there are documented cases now of "secondary PTSD" in children of veterans with PTSD.

A veteran was once asssigned by his CO to sleep in the bunk of a guy who blew his head off. I can't even believe how creepy that must have been. He states he still has issues about it, 30 years later.
the last 2 posts are so on target--as a nurse that worked with ptsd in the vietnam era i wish i could say that funding for therapy in va hospitals has improved,but it has not---this country is great for sending our men into horrendous situations,but drops the ball when they come home so terribly wounded-----unfortunately these men/women are subjected to staff that have no clue and rely too heavily on meds(not the total answer)

Old 08-12-2011, 05:27 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
The problem is not funding at the VA, it is the patients, who don't want a skilled clinician, they want someone who "has been there". Even if that is not the best choice for effective treatment.

I don't know anything about fixing my car, so I don't tell the shop who should fix it, or how to fix it. I just let them do their job. If someone was serious about getting treatment for PTSD, he or she should not be so dismissive of a trained professional.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post
Many mental health personnel in the non-military world are not properly trained either.

I've worked on crisis response teams in Alaska and Minnesota. In following up with clients, I've have been stunned by what they report goes on during meetings with their psychiatrists and counselors. Sometimes it seems as if mental health careers attract people with significant mental health issues.

Even prescribing medications seems to be a hit or miss, trial and error process at times. I am not surprised that your bartender had a better take on what you needed than your psychiatrist.

There are psychiatrists and counselors out there who do good work, but you need to track them down.
Very true indeed. I am thankful every day I was able to find a mental health team that knew exactly how to help me.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The problem is not funding at the VA, it is the patients, who don't want a skilled clinician, they want someone who "has been there". Even if that is not the best choice for effective treatment.

I don't know anything about fixing my car, so I don't tell the shop who should fix it, or how to fix it. I just let them do their job. If someone was serious about getting treatment for PTSD, he or she should not be so dismissive of a trained professional.
Very sad, and very true.

Another thing I am curious about: Has anyone had an experience with IAVA and has it made any difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues