Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:34 AM

31 posts, read 103,842 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a good auto transport company or broker to ship 2 cars from the west coast to DC. And how was your experience with that company. I know there's tons when I searched on the internet but you can never tell which ones are reliable.
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 10:57 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,016,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateCity View Post
I'm looking for a good auto transport company or broker to ship 2 cars from the west coast to DC. And how was your experience with that company. I know there's tons when I searched on the internet but you can never tell which ones are reliable.
TIA
If the military is paying for your PCS don't you have to use their contracted shipper?

Old 12-17-2009, 11:03 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,873,034 times
They will pay for you to drive one vehicle. You get MALT (I think that is the name).

We used AAA Automovers. I have nothing good nor bad to say but I will say the guy got our vehicle there really fast and you do have to have someone to receive it and pay for it. The pickup and delivery had to be done somewhere he had room to load up the car - so not on our small residential street (had to drive 1/2 mile to a gas station with a big side lot and then walk home).

Old 12-17-2009, 11:24 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,538,661 times
I have not checked recently but normally the military will not ship a vehicle in CONUS.

Rich

Old 12-17-2009, 11:35 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,016,839 times
You're right I was thinking about an overseas PCS of mine.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:44 PM

664 posts, read 1,941,141 times
We have done this SO many times. I would go online and type in " car shipping quotes" and enetr my info. It's very annoying because everyone and their brother will call you with quotes. I would write them all down and then pick the cheapest one. We have found that through the years of doing this you can pick the most expensive one and they still seem the same. None of our cars haev EVER been damaged at all. The pick up and arrival can be rough. They usually give you an estimated pick up and arrival. It's hard to pin point because things happen like one a snowstorm delayed the trucker from picking up our car for 3 days. Usually you'll pick a company and they will contract it out to avaliable truckers. So just try and be patient with the process.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:15 PM

20,687 posts, read 19,819,260 times
I am in the same situation - just the other way - VA to CA. I wanted to get an online quote and wrote 'no phone calls' on the form. That was Sunday. I have to change my emailadress if that keeps going because I got more than 50 emails since then and my phone is ringing 5-10 times per day. I am really annoyed by that, 3-5 quotes would have been enough. Then they send reminders again and again as if you would forget to ship your car. I lost interest in the whole process and hope the emails stop soon and then I start sorting out but it seems they are all about the same price.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:58 PM

Thanx for the info
No, military does not ship cars for conus moves. Ya have to pay out of your own pocket. But DLA pay is great for this and military buys our plane tickets.

Yea, I did that online thing too... totally BLOWING UP my phone and email!! Aarrgghh!! And I'm nowhere closer to deciding which company to choose.
Quotes are averaging about $1600 for both vehicles. But who's gonna give me the least headache??? Very frustrating

I called and asked TMO for a recommendation but they were clueless. I tried a car dealership but they only had companies that ship in "legs"... not straight through door to door with car on same truck with same driver.

Its kinda funny to see them all fighting for my business. They sound so desparate! Is that good or bad:/ I guess we'll just make an "eeny meeny miney mo" decision, hahaha

Old 12-18-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post

We used AAA Automovers. I have nothing good nor bad to say but I will say the guy got our vehicle there really fast and you do have to have someone to receive it and pay for it. The pickup and delivery had to be done somewhere he had room to load up the car - so not on our small residential street (had to drive 1/2 mile to a gas station with a big side lot and then walk home).

Hey, was this AA Automovers (with Nick Esposito) or AAA Anytime Movers or AALL in Movers?

Old 12-18-2009, 02:08 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,873,034 times
Oh boy that I do not remember. Sorry. I think I remember there being three As in the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues