Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 07:28 PM

142 posts, read 571,159 times

Advertisements

My husband wants to PCS to either Fort Lewis, WA or Fort Carson, CO. He is more in favor of For Lewis but I am more in favor of Fort Carson. We have 3 dogs and a cat, no kids yet but we will in the next few years. Which do you prefer and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 07:11 AM

35 posts, read 69,262 times
For sure Fort Carson! The Springs are one of the most awesome places on the planet. You've got the Rockies close by and a much more mellow climate.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:29 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
Carson.

Cost of living is probably lower.
Crime rate is probably lower.
Local community is probably more welcoming.
Schools are probably better.

( I say probably meaning "in general". I know a retired E9/Army CSM you couldn't drag away from Lewis. He'd argue each of my points.)

I'm sure Lewis is fine, but Carson is well known as a great post.

The only thing we don't know -- is there a better career option at Lewis? For example if the option at Lewis was a good leadership position and the option at Carson was staff, that might tip the scale.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:51 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley620 View Post
My husband wants to PCS to either Fort Lewis, WA or Fort Carson, CO. He is more in favor of For Lewis but I am more in favor of Fort Carson. We have 3 dogs and a cat, no kids yet but we will in the next few years. Which do you prefer and why?
Depends on a lot of factors which could greatly affect his career. I have been to both in the past but just briefly.

Everything else being equal I would prefer Fort Carson.

Why, because I like the SouthWest. After my retirement my wife and I eventually managed to move to New Mexico. We are lessthan 400 miles away from Fort Carson.

But it sounds like he is young in his career, something he needs to consider carefully.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-20-2009 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: Fixxed fore Betr Spelting

Old 12-20-2009, 08:00 PM

541 posts, read 2,137,878 times
Lewis the supposedly the most requested Army base. I really don't have any complaints about Lewis, but as a lifelong area resident, I am itching to get outta here!

I've done my fair share of researching Army posts in hopes of PCS'ing one day. Only drawback about Carson, for me, is the snow factor. Cost of living really isn't any less than Lewis.

If it were me, I'd probably go with Carson, but only because I have lived here for 48 years!!!

Old 12-20-2009, 10:02 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,552 times
CS is an awesome place to live! Have neve been to Lewis but was at Whedbey Island while in the Navy

Sounds like a win/win whichever you end up choosing!

Old 12-21-2009, 04:29 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,137,763 times
Fort Lewis is the most requested duty station in the ArmyFort Lewis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia surely there's a reason. Fort Carson is the second most requested installation, so you have some great duty stations to choose from. I just hope you actually get an assignment at either one of these posts.
We love the Fort Lewis area and all the amenities. When we were stationed here on out first assignment we made the decision to try like heck to get back here for another assignments. We got our second assignment and ended up retiring and settling near Fort Lewis in Olympia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues