U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:39 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,531,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley620 View Post
I think it is a great idea and I am sure it will be appreciated. The post office has special flat rate boxes for APO/FPO addresses, it is a large flat rate box and $2 cheaper to send than a regular flat rate box. Which is probably the best way to send things if you are putting a lot of stuff in.
Thanks.
Do you send your packages and/or cards to people you know or do you just pick a unit from the list to send to on Anysoldier.com?
Sounds like you could easily spend $40 or more- with the shipping cost/food purchases to send- though not alot of money if you have the extra money to do so. Of course the troops are priceless with all that they sacrifice and do for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 04:37 PM

14,023 posts, read 8,925,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuouswoman88 View Post
I was deployed last year and we could get packages and I must say, they really really really made us feel special. To think that people actually take the time out to send us things puts a smile on our faces. It's like we do so much to serve our country and there are some people who do not care, or some who never get a chance to even tell us thank you. But, when we get these packages it really makes us feel great, because its people doing things for us out of the goodness of our hearts and not looking for anything in return, we got soo many packages it was awesome! So, to those who are sending packages and have ever sent a package THANK YOU!!!

I'll second that.

Christmas, 1970. I was on a little hilltop OP with about a dozen other guys in a dreadful little place called Antenna Valley, which was SW of Danang, South Vietnam. It was drizzling and overcast as the monsoons had not yet ended. The temps were probably in the 70's, but felt much colder. We were pretty much isolated up there on our little hill, though we could see our little firebase down below. It didn't seem much like Christmas as thoughts of home were not far away and we were in a very, very hot area. The preceding weeks had seen a lot of contact and some casualities.

There wasn't much going on war-wise because there was a Christmas truce in place which was pretty much holding in that area. Because of that truce, about noon a chopper came in bringing us the first hot chow we'd had in about a month. I guess that was the Army's way of saying, "Merry Christmas," and it was appreciated. As they kicked off the mermite cans of food, they also threw out a big, red mail bag, then departed, leaving us all alone.

We went through the bag and dispersed the mail. In addition to whatever letters we got from home, each man recieved at least one "any soldier" package. Mine had a few things in it which I could use, such as a writing tablet, some ink pens and pencils and some chewing gum. There were other things which I could not use, like re-usuable bottle caps, but that's not what was important. Somebody remembered we were still there. Somebody still cared. In spite of the fact that most of America had turned against the war and in spite of the fact that most people back home had no direct contact with the war, somebody hadn't forgotten and that little package made all the difference in the world to a small group of lonely soldiers. Suddenly, it really was Christmas!

I still recall who the package was from: A West Baton Rouge, LA garden club. Was it really all that important? You tell me. If I can remember who sent it nearly 40 years later, I think that speaks for itself, don't you?

Old 12-30-2009, 10:42 AM

142 posts, read 294,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Thanks.
Do you send your packages and/or cards to people you know or do you just pick a unit from the list to send to on Anysoldier.com?
Sounds like you could easily spend $40 or more- with the shipping cost/food purchases to send- though not alot of money if you have the extra money to do so. Of course the troops are priceless with all that they sacrifice and do for us.
I just picked from the list. A lot of them have a list of stuff they would like. Of course I also send packaged to my husband who is deployed.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:40 PM

7 posts, read 12,338 times
I sent several letters a couple of years ago. Thought it was cool that an Army guy wrote back to me to say "thanks"

Old 01-01-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley620 View Post
I just picked from the list. A lot of them have a list of stuff they would like. Of course I also send packaged to my husband who is deployed.
Thank you. I hope your husband returns home safely

Old 01-01-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackdogg View Post
I sent several letters a couple of years ago. Thought it was cool that an Army guy wrote back to me to say "thanks"
That's awesome. :Ok:
I think it would be neat to hear back from a soldier.
You should watch "A Christmas Card" it's a great soldier movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues