Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:49 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times

Advertisements

What is the point of having Warrant Officers in the US Military ?
Yes we,the Brits etc have them but they are equal in rank to the USA Sergeant Majors , only difference is their rank which is WO2 ,WO1, with the WO1 being the top dog.

They hold appointments as Company Sergeant Major, Regimental Sergeant Major etc, are called sir but are never saluted.

So is there any positions in the US military filled by Warrant Officers that could not be filled by senior NCOs?
Or is the Warrant Officer stream part of the Commissioned Officers stream as it seems they hold Commissions ?

Old 08-16-2009, 03:26 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times
Warrants typically act as intermediaries between the officer corps and enlisted personnel. They hold the unique position of being both the leader in their technical specialty (accompanied by years of knowledge and experience) while commanding a certain degree of officer presence.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:42 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Warrants typically act as intermediaries between the officer corps and enlisted personnel. They hold the unique position of being both the leader in their technical specialty (accompanied by years of knowledge and experience) while commanding a certain degree of officer presence.
A Sergeant Major of eighteen years service would not have the experience after that long in the same technical specialty nor have the officer/command presence ?

Old 08-16-2009, 07:14 AM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
A Sergeant Major of eighteen years service would not have the experience after that long in the same technical specialty nor have the officer/command presence ?
Many warrant officers in the U.S. military are helicopter pilots, in fact a friend of mine who was a senior enlisted in the Marines (12 years' service) went over to the Army side and now drives Apaches as a warrant officer. One unit I served with could have benefited from having a warrant officer or two

My experience with warrant officers/chief warrant officers was generally positive, that is their technical expertise was, overall, decent to outstanding (more towards the latter), and most were excellent leaders. They can fill a niche, since they're neither commissioned nor senior enlisteds, and therefore have a separate "mission", if you will.

-

Old 08-16-2009, 07:26 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
Very good question; I wondered this myself. I think the truth was it's been part of the military tradition, no one wants to risk their decision making job by suggesting a deletion of an entire rank tier.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:40 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
They may have the experience but technically they're still an NCO.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:19 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
I'd never quite understood why anyone would switch to Warrant. They go from the highest ranking enlisted to the lowest ranking officer. I figured it was for the retirement money, which ain't bad.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:34 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
I look at it as a reward for their knowledge, skills, and dedication. I always had more respect for warrant officers than academy graduates. Most of the officers on the ship, though they officially out ranked the warrant officer, deferred to the warrant officer because of time in the service and level of knowledge.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:59 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I have no idea.

I know they exist.

I have known a few guys who applied to become CWOs, were accepted and disappeared. But I have never met up with any of them after they were accepted to the position.

Being a submariner, our officers tend to be very line-officer focused [competitive against each other, always trying to line themselves up for the next pay-grade, and attempting to sabotage the rest of the wardroom].

I have had no direct interfacing with a CWO [except for now as a retiree there is a retired CWO at our VFW post].

I do not know how they would function on AD.

As the official intermediary between the Captain and the enlistedmen, is the CMC / COB [Command Master Chief / Chief Of the whole-danged Boat]. Usually an E9 eligible for retirement, so he is only there because he 'likes it'. As an E9 it is assumed that he has no fear in standing up to the CO and telling him how things are.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:53 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
I never really understood with there are Warrant Officers myself but I do know that all the ones I knew is the USMC were the worst people I ever met in my life. They were terrible leaders and did not inspire confidence at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues