U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 02:40 PM

5,813 posts, read 7,178,991 times
Thumbs down Bragg

I regret ever going to Ft Bragg (Ft Dragg), NC. "What a hole!" . The unit sucked, the fort sucked, Fayette-nam Sucked and most of all "the state sucked"!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 06:11 PM

21,661 posts, read 27,608,349 times
I served for 6 years and got out. I used my GI bill and did 4 years in college.

Then I was presuaded to go back in. We began buying and collecting apartment buildings, one at each duty station, and after another 14 years I got my pension and retired.

I do have regrets in my life. Serving in the Silent Service is not one of them.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:14 PM

244 posts, read 491,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Just curious, does anyone on here ever regret joining the military or serving in the military? I know most people are generally proud of their service and sacrifice, but I have met some vets who wished they would have done something else like attend college or learn a trade.
for the most part, i don't regret joining.. but the time frame i might have thought it over a little longer.

i joined when a year after i graduated high school and getting out, i'm having a difficult time with university. maybe got university out of the way and joined.. or even a different branch.

but, everything happens for a reason and overall, i don't regret it.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:51 PM

1,464 posts, read 609,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
You were in 16 total and didn't finish??
Yeah, I know...bummer.
But after three miscarriages, I finally got pregnant, yay!
then "Desert Shield" changed to "Desert Storm" and hubby got deployed
to Saudi...boo!
then our son was born a few monthes later... Yay!
I took a break for awhile...then a little over a year later,
Hurricane Andrew blew our house away (and Homestead AFB, too!)...Boo!
well...I guess...life happens.
But all is well...I would have stayed longer if possible,
I loved it all then, and love life now, as well.
So it's all good!

Old 12-25-2009, 12:35 AM

262 posts, read 552,304 times
I don't regret my service in any way, i actually enjoyed it and met some awesome people and went to some cool places. Sometimes though i do wonder how my life would be different if i had not enlisted in the military. For me it seems like i came full circle. Out of high school i declined full ride offers to colleges and enlisted for 4 years. At the time i was broke, young, and dumb. Fast forward to now, 4 years later after an honorable discharge and i still feel broke and young, however, i would replace dumb with more knowledgeable, more experienced and more worldly. With the new gi bill that came out this past august i'm back to where i was when i graduated high school with a full ride to college. I guess the only things that i might regret a little bit would be not getting the all out college experience through my late teens and very early 20's, and losing my high school sweetheart somewhere along the line, but it is what it is and i guess things happen the way they do for a reason. Happy Holidays to everyone and thank-you to everyone else here that served.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:10 AM

37 posts, read 109,296 times
I do have some regrets about the job that I have, but no other regrets, maybe I would have chose to do somethings a little differently..

Old 12-29-2009, 10:46 PM

256 posts, read 294,428 times
I've never had regrets about serving in the Army, but as a Viet Nam vet, I never talked about it for the longest time. When the movie, "The Deer Hunter" came out in 1978, I felt a bit more at ease in discussing my military service.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:32 AM

8,126 posts, read 8,159,288 times
Towards the end of my active duty career,I transferred into the reserves.I was shown orders that were coming down that were voided out due to my transfer-----Greece.It was hangar duty and if I remember correct you worked 2 days,then 6 or 7 off.There was no on base housing,members lived with Greek families that put them up.I wish I had done this before my switch.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:15 AM

2,176 posts, read 4,454,714 times
Someone has some certain aspects better and some have it worse...

I know an office who maybe have 30mins of actual work a day, they get to come in late and leave early everyday. Self-Directed Physical Training to boot. They MAYBE 20 hours a week.

I know someone who works almost every weekend, actual hard work usually 6 days a week with long hours and who does group Physical Training 5 days a week.

I'm in the middle and we are all the same and we get paid the exact same. I know people will complain about things like that.

My only regret is the whole structure...There's little FINANCIAL incentives offered...

Old 12-30-2009, 10:52 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,018,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Someone has some certain aspects better and some have it worse...

I know an office who maybe have 30mins of actual work a day, they get to come in late and leave early everyday. Self-Directed Physical Training to boot. They MAYBE 20 hours a week.

I know someone who works almost every weekend, actual hard work usually 6 days a week with long hours and who does group Physical Training 5 days a week.

I'm in the middle and we are all the same and we get paid the exact same. I know people will complain about things like that.

My only regret is the whole structure...There's little FINANCIAL incentives offered...
But there is personal pride and professionalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues