U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:35 PM

589 posts, read 1,727,266 times
Default Military Regrets?

Just curious, does anyone on here ever regret joining the military or serving in the military? I know most people are generally proud of their service and sacrifice, but I have met some vets who wished they would have done something else like attend college or learn a trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 07:55 PM

1,464 posts, read 601,397 times
After graduating college, and teaching for a few years,
I joined in the Air Force and served for four years and was in the Air Force Reserves for 12 more...

Now that I am an old ..(well, middle aged lady)... I wish I had stayed in for 20 or 25 years and retired, then gone on to my current postion with the Fire Department, or back to teaching.

My military experience was excellent.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:28 PM

3,651 posts, read 5,376,253 times
I'm proud of my service, but I wish I had stayed in college instead and finished, absolutely.

Alternatively, I wish I had gone from active duty straight to Guard/Reserves when I got out vs waiting so long - I'd have retired years ago. As it is, I have a few more years.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:29 PM

3,651 posts, read 5,376,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besitomio View Post
After graduating college, and teaching for a few years,
I joined in the Air Force and served for four years and was in the Air Force Reserves for 12 more...
You were in 16 total and didn't finish??

Old 12-22-2009, 11:28 PM

1,707 posts, read 3,954,993 times
I would hope that anyone who has served there country would be proud of it and have no regrets.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:21 AM

744 posts, read 689,661 times
It will be hard pressed to find someone who served that has any regrets other than not sticking it out. The one thing you find is pride for finishing basic and doing what ever job was needed. I regret getting out after 8 years active Marine, and then 2 years National Guard. I still have alot of my buddies overseas hooking and jabbing in Afghanistan and wish I could be by their side. If I had it to do all over again I would go to college first and go in as an Officer.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:18 AM

2,551 posts, read 1,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Just curious, does anyone on here ever regret joining the military or serving in the military? I know most people are generally proud of their service and sacrifice, but I have met some vets who wished they would have done something else like attend college or learn a trade.

Well, sometimes I wished I had stayed in Texas and didn't join (I could have married my high school sweetheart and there would be no problems). And sometimes I wished I had went to college first and join a little later or something. I wished I never got stationed in Korea (1998-1999), because that's when I had my first drink and that's when things changed for me when I got back to the states.

But things happen for a reason I guess.

But I'm proud that I served and now I'm part of the U.S. military veterans around our great country.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:27 AM

14,023 posts, read 9,312,959 times
I don't regret having served, but there are some things I had to do in the Army which I wish I hadn't done.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:38 AM

1,684 posts, read 2,757,545 times
I do not regret 1 minute of my service! Nor would I want to go back and change 1 thing. Sure I made some bad mistakes along the way but whatever happened got me to where I am today, and I am very proud of myself and happy with the way my life has turned out.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:17 PM

1,149 posts, read 2,720,454 times
I served 4 years in the USAF and have absolutely no regrets. Had it not been for my ex-wife who did not want me to re-enlist, I may have made it a career. The military taught me many things and made me a better person. I'm proud to have served my country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues