Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:16 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You know just as well as I do, there is a quota for selecting Blacks, Hispanics, and "Other than white" for promotion.....that's not racism?
No.

Racism:
Quote:
1. A belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

2. A policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

3. Hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
Racism | Define Racism at Dictionary.com

Rich

Old 10-11-2011, 05:26 AM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

Yea, o.k., we can throw out dictionary definiations all day long...

I'll take a word from your own link (discrimination)

Quote:
treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.

Discrimination | Define Discrimination at Dictionary.com

But when it comes down to those last few people in the secondary zone (for senior promotions) and you have two people with exactaly the same profile and their quota of "other than white" has not ben filled, the "other than white" will get picked all day long...and if that does not fit discrimination then I don't know what does....

And that is why I feel their is no need for your race and or picture when it comes down to promotions, it should be your NCOER, period.....

and if you could not see that while you were in the military...then I'm sorry...

Old 10-11-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Yea, o.k., we can throw out dictionary definiations all day long...
Understanding the definition is part of the equation...

Just because a person does not like something does not mean it is racism.

Rich

Old 10-11-2011, 08:08 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
You know just as well as I do, there is a quota for selecting Blacks, Hispanics, and "Other than white" for promotion.....that's not racism?

Everyone makes mistakes, but what does a picture show? Your race....

Oh, and if your photo is older than 9 months old, they deduct points from your overall score....(before you complain, I have talked to several senior board members about things like this, off the record they will agree....)

You musta missed the part where I said ON DUTY (in uniform), we HAD to go there, we had radios that went straight to the MP's, just "in-case" something happened......that "just in-case" was more than 2-3 times a month...
Oh please, So if your photo was more than 9 months old you might have changed races? I heard a career full of whiners wondering why they were not promoted. They needed to look in the mirror and stop whining.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Oh please, So if your photo was more than 9 months old you might have changed races? I heard a career full of whiners wondering why they were not promoted. They needed to look in the mirror and stop whining.
I made Senior NCO...so not whinning, just stating the fact....

A picture should NEVER be involved when it comes to promotions....hence discrimination...

Old 10-11-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I made Senior NCO...so not whinning, just stating the fact....

A picture should NEVER be involved when it comes to promotions....hence discrimination...
That is just your opinion, not fact...

Rich

Old 10-11-2011, 01:17 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times
Quote:
2. A policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

Sounds like racism to me. Just never counts when its directed towards whites eh?

Old 10-11-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post

Sounds like racism to me. Just never counts when its directed towards whites eh?
I wonder why?

When you ignore the believe or doctrine, you just assume that anything the government says is racism. You are conveniently ignoring the first definition:
Quote:
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
And the answer the the original thread "Racism in the Military?", the answer would be yes...

Rich

Old 10-11-2011, 01:51 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post

If that's your only excuse

Old 10-11-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
That is just your opinion, not fact...

Rich
All you are doing is stating an opinion also, you say it is not happening I say it is...who is correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues