Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:52 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times

Advertisements

Once upon a time I recieved a "Guidance" from Division HQ that every Black Female in the unit was to recieve some kind of commendation in the next quarter. Since I was in an Infantry Unit this did not effect me but it did make me think. I knew some black female soldiers who deserved a commendation and others who did not. The problem was with the Command not having enough faith in their subordinates in the Chain of Command to leave those decisions to them. A real soldier would take offense to recieving an award for the color of their skin or their gender

Old 10-30-2011, 09:22 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
It goes further than that....

Ask all the guy who are in the sand box, your award is RANK dependent....

And I was told straight to my face, my retirement award was not a LOM DUE to my rank (E7).

Nawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, that's not racist....

Old 10-30-2011, 02:00 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
It goes further than that....

Ask all the guy who are in the sand box, your award is RANK dependent....

And I was told straight to my face, my retirement award was not a LOM DUE to my rank (E7).

Nawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, that's not racist....
That's been the case since Vietnam, before that you could go through a career and have an ARCOM, NDM and a Good Conduct Medal

Old 10-30-2011, 02:14 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
hello OP

From all my years I did not see racism proper and know for a fact that if any behavior even approached it, leadership called the perpetrator into the office and said 'if you value your career, you will change that behavior'.

Not to say that people's belief's and attitudes might be different, but their behavior was expected to toe the line.

Just do your job well and with enthusiasm and you will do fine.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:39 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgirl2007 View Post
I'm trying to figure out what your true complaint is - who are the racists? Take a look at the link: "Findings" section, 1B: Race & Ethnicity - Component Composition, pg 22. One of the percentages of active duty personnel is a little heavily weighted wouldn't you think?

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d05952.pdf
Not sure what your point is in reference to percentages. Minorities can be racist too.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:53 PM

693 posts, read 1,041,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Not sure what your point is in reference to percentages. Minorities can be racist too.
I am not disputing the fact that minorities can be racist. Chucksnee’s complaint was that racist people control military advancement, in other words, reverse discrimination (if there is such a thing). My point is, based on the racial demographics, which group is most likely to make those types of decisions? Anyone who has served knows that senior personnel (the ones who establish policy) are mostly comprised of one group. Throughout my Naval career, advancement was always based on merit.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgirl2007 View Post
I am not disputing the fact that minorities can be racist. Chucksnee’s complaint was that racist people control military advancement, in other words, reverse discrimination (if there is such a thing). My point is, based on the racial demographics, which group is most likely to make those types of decisions? Anyone who has served knows that senior personnel (the ones who establish policy) are mostly comprised of one group. Throughout my Naval career, advancement was always based on merit.
No, my point was people who are NOT sitting on this board are making these decisions and then telling the people on the board you WILL promote 10% of black, women, latino's, and other non whites....

Merit, please, then why is a picture needed in a promotion packet?

In my 21 years and 24 days in the Army, and E-2 thru E-6, yes I agree, merit because you had to sit in front of your peers to be promoted. When I made E-7, you know nobody on that board.....so what merit can there be?

Old 11-08-2011, 07:43 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
No, my point was people who are NOT sitting on this board are making these decisions and then telling the people on the board you WILL promote 10% of black, women, latino's, and other non whites....

Merit, please, then why is a picture needed in a promotion packet?

In my 21 years and 24 days in the Army, and E-2 thru E-6, yes I agree, merit because you had to sit in front of your peers to be promoted. When I made E-7, you know nobody on that board.....so what merit can there be?
Your photo? To make sure you are not a fat slob... To make sure you look like a soldier. They don't need a photo to see your race, it is in your record...

You act like they just look at your photo and nothing else? Dates of service, dates of assignments, duty positions, EER's, civilian and educational accomplishments, military training, even you PT scores. If you stagnated, then you probably will not make it. If you show that you did nothing to make yourself more usefull for your country, then guess what...

It is a bit fairer than your local buddies comparing just you to a few others.

This is not about racism...

But just what do you have about "black, women, latino's, and other non whites...." in the U.S. Army? Seems to be bothering you...

Rich

Old 11-08-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Your photo? To make sure you are not a fat slob... To make sure you look like a soldier. They don't need a photo to see your race, it is in your record
Then your NCOER should show this, right? There is a block for your weight and height, and if you fail these then it is up to your S1 to flag you from being able to be borded. Or are your saying that NCO lie on NCOERs to get their friend promoted?

Quote:
You act like they just look at your photo and nothing else? Dates of service, dates of assignments, duty positions, EER's, civilian and educational accomplishments, military training, even you PT scores. If you stagnated, then you probably will not make it. If you show that you did nothing to make yourself more usefull for your country, then guess what...
I agrere with you, but that is all in your NCOER's and all in your file. remember less than 2 minutes to look at 48,000+ records in less than a week.

Quote:
It is a bit fairer than your local buddies comparing just you to a few others.
To a point, you are correct...but your race and picture should be out the door and base donly on your NCOERs which tells them everything they need to know...

Quote:
This is not about racism...
In your own opinion...

Quote:
But just what do you have about "black, women, latino's, and other non whites...." in the U.S. Army? Seems to be bothering you Rich

Because whether you are willing to admit it or not, people have been promoted by the color of their skin, not job preformance, not what they have done. This is my opinion, because I have seen it...to many times...

When a BDE CSM (Woman) stands up after a woman get a medal, and tells everyone to get up and stand and clap for this couregous young lady, I do have a problem when just before a guy gotthe same award for the EXACT same thing and that DBE CSM said nothing....

Sorry, I took my blinders off many years ago and seen what is and has been in the Army....Maybe this is why I did not get promoted to E-7 until the 19th year....

Old 11-08-2011, 12:50 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Because whether you are willing to admit it or not, people have been promoted by the color of their skin, not job preformance, not what they have done. This is my opinion, because I have seen it...to many times...

When a BDE CSM (Woman) stands up after a woman get a medal, and tells everyone to get up and stand and clap for this couregous young lady, I do have a problem when just before a guy gotthe same award for the EXACT same thing and that DBE CSM said nothing....
Quote:

That is life... Nothing is perfect... Gotcha. I can see how all this racism got to you. Musta been real hard... Yep, must have been difficult. Probably keeps you awake at night? Maybe you shouldn't talk about it anymore...

Having to stand up and clap for a woman getting a medal. Wow... That would make some people very unhappy. And there was a female Brigade Command Sergeant Major making you all stand up and clap?

Yea... Know where your coming from... Here's a true story. "When I got drafted I was sent to Fort Jackson, South Carolina. I got put in one of those big yellow WWII barracks, except ours had a big American flag painted on the side. They called it "The All American Barracks". It was full of foreigners, Puerto Ricans, a British guy, Some Middle East people, etc and Eugene Taylor who cried all night... And the of course me..."

I never understood why they put me in those Barracks...

Ricardo Ramón Sanchez
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues