U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 03:57 PM

12 posts, read 47,709 times

Advertisements

I went in at 17. What were you doing then that you didn't decide in joining? Keg party with the varisty football team??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 05:28 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,079,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeHack View Post
I went in at 17. What were you doing then that you didn't decide in joining? Keg party with the varisty football team??
I don't see where that line of thought is productive; so what?

Old 04-06-2018, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 309 times
Hi,
Did you end up joining? I just turned 32 and am thinking about joining! I would love to know if you felt like an old lady in boot camp?? I am going to see a recruiter on Monday. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2018, 11:22 AM

747 posts, read 308,615 times
As an older enlistee you Wil stand out a little in basic as you are surrounded by a bunch of baby face 18yr olds so it's very possible you will be given a leadership position amongst your peers right off the bat.

My dorm chief ended up being "the old man" in our flight and i was thankful for it at the time because he had some useful life experience that he used to make things run as smoothly as he was able for us.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:27 AM

7,154 posts, read 5,202,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
As an older enlistee you Wil stand out a little in basic as you are surrounded by a bunch of baby face 18yr olds so it's very possible you will be given a leadership position amongst your peers right off the bat.

My dorm chief ended up being "the old man" in our flight and i was thankful for it at the time because he had some useful life experience that he used to make things run as smoothly as he was able for us.
While an older enlistee is likely to have more difficulty keeping up with the physical demands of BT, OTOH, you would have more life experience and maturity to handle the mental and psychological challenges than an 18-19 year old.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:09 PM

16,288 posts, read 8,736,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I would rephrase it to say the Physical Readiness Test requirements are reduced as you get older... They aren't always easier. For me it seemed like the Army was synced on my age. But at times as I hit a new age group, some of the requirements were increased.
Off topic, but...

When I was stationed at Pearl Harbor, I had young sailors, soldiers, airmen, and Marines working for me. A number of the soldiers and Marines went out for a fast 3-miler every day at lunch, and they always invited me along: "C'mon run with us, Top!"

I always begged off. My knees had started giving out 'way back in my twenties, but I was a heavy cyclist at the time, doing 200-250 miles a week (75-100 miles every Saturday morning).

One day, though, I decided to show the young guys that the old man could still hang, so I ran with them. Kept up with them, too.

The next day, they came back by my desk with, "C'mon run with us again, Top!"

I said, "Sorry, I've got some things to do."

The Army SFC I had been talking to, "Yeah. Mend."

Old 04-06-2018, 11:28 PM

13,101 posts, read 7,185,584 times
Whether she did or not, the maximum age to be enlisted in the Navy is by 34 years of age.

One of the first women to graduate Army Ranger school was something like 36 years of age.

As long as you are below the age limit and in good health and shape, don't see any issues with it.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:26 PM

70 posts, read 18,684 times
I did my technical training with a 34 year old woman who was a marathoner and smoked almost all of the guys when it came to running. Physical fitness is key and is closely related to mental toughness, i.e., it's hard to be mentally tough when you are not physically fit.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:01 AM

174 posts, read 164,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenisei View Post
I did my technical training with a 34 year old woman who was a marathoner and smoked almost all of the guys when it came to running. Physical fitness is key and is closely related to mental toughness, i.e., it's hard to be mentally tough when you are not physically fit.
I concur totally. While age may be a factor of an individual's fitness level it is hardly the only factor. As others have said many senior military personnel routinely out perform younger personnel during physical training evolutions. All branches of military are discovering that many young people don't have the basic physical fitness levels required to attend basic training and must be immediately remediated. The link to the article that I posted below illustrates that.

Army Hopes New Fitness Test Will Reduce Injuries And Attrition | WUNC

I wouldn't let being a bit older than the other recruits discourage you from enlisting in the military. In fact in some respects it may be to your advantage. I enlisted in the military at age 17 and when I retired I at age 44 commenced my second career in law enforcement. I worked out and ran throughout my military career and stayed in shape. As a result when I attended the police academy physical training and defensive tactics wasn't a breeze but it was by no means a show stopper. The three oldest academy trainees including me scored the top physical fitness test scores in our classes. My point is you can successfully complete military basic training or boot camp if you prepare yourself physically and mentally. If you're not already working out and running consider starting a physical fitness program for yourself. If need be consult a personal trainer. In 2018 many military recruiting offices have structured P.T. programs to help ensure that new recruits have a modicum level of fitness when they arrive at basic.

I suggest educating yourself about all of the military branches and see which one best fits your temperament. Then select an available occupational specialty that suits your career goals and aptitude. Don't let anyone on this forum or anywhere else try to tell you which branch is best. They all have their merits and drawbacks and ultimately you're going to have to decide where you fit in best. With regard to your occupation specialty choose something that you'll be happy doing every day. As we say in the Navy, "Choose your rate and choose your fate".

Good luck to you!

Irish

Old 04-09-2018, 01:49 PM

4,533 posts, read 4,127,460 times
Sorry Irish! OP Be all you can be in the Army!

Only partially teasing you Irish. Just a little inter-service rivalry. Great post all the way up to giving your own plug for the Navy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or