U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 01:57 PM

23,557 posts, read 37,571,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Great post all the way up to giving your own plug for the Navy.
Agreed... The Army will guarantee the exact job you qualify for... The only branch which does that, or you can walk away. Not many enlisting really knows what all those MOS's will entail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 02:32 PM

13,920 posts, read 7,699,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Agreed... The Army will guarantee the exact job you qualify for... The only branch which does that, or you can walk away. Not many enlisting really knows what all those MOS's will entail.
I thought the only military branch that doesn't guarantee you a job prior to boot camp/basic training was the Marine Corps. I chose my Navy rating (MOS to those in the Army) at MEPS and it was in my contract as a Navy Nuke machinst mate.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:45 PM

29,203 posts, read 46,395,460 times
I had a 'guarantee' to my first enlistment. But there was a condition. I was guaranteed to get to a specific school, assuming that I passed all tests and hurdles getting there. If I had failed any of those tests, the guarantee would have disappeared.

For all the rest of my enlistment contracts, the focus was on how much they were giving me in bonus cash, and what the next NEC was going to be.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:46 PM

16,769 posts, read 9,125,954 times
When I enlisted into the Air Force--a long, long time ago--the "guarantee" was not for a particular job, it was for training into a particular job. There was always a chance the Air Force could change their minds at any point after that and cross train an airmen for "Air Force needs." Not likely, because they planned for their needs better than that for at least two or three years out...but possible.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:12 PM

23,557 posts, read 37,571,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I thought the only military branch that doesn't guarantee you a job prior to boot camp/basic training was the Marine Corps. I chose my Navy rating (MOS to those in the Army) at MEPS and it was in my contract as a Navy Nuke machinst mate.
I thought the only military branch which could guarantee you a job prior to boot camp/basic training was the U.S, Army.

They can guarantee you a another different job after entering the Army. I knew several Marines who came into the Army after serving in the Marine Corps.

I was originally drafted, then applied for a program after serving two years. It was along story, but I ended getting the MOS I wanted after being extended day by day. I retired after 22 years active duty.

A related article from a reliable source:

Army Times
Your Army
The Army's hottest jobs: How to get into the MOS you want and make the big bucks
By: Meghann Myers   July 12, 2017
https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...the-big-bucks/

Old 04-13-2018, 07:26 PM

4,125 posts, read 5,966,591 times
Quote:
I thought the only military branch which could guarantee you a job prior to boot camp/basic training was the U.S, Army.

They can guarantee you a another different job after entering the Army. I knew several Marines who came into the Army after serving in the Marine Corps.

I was originally drafted, then applied for a program after serving two years. It was along story, but I ended getting the MOS I wanted after being extended day by day. I retired after 22 years active duty.

Army Times
Your Army
The Army's hottest jobs: How to get into the MOS you want and make the big bucks
The navy guaranteed me IC A school. If I failed out then that would have been on me but they certainly gave me the job I wanted.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:43 PM

13,920 posts, read 7,699,338 times
Quote:

Army Times
Your Army
When I went to MEPS eons ago, I didn't even know what I wanted to do, I just wanted to get away from a bad home situation. At MEPS I apparently did well enough on the ASVAB that some petty officer there recommended that I go for the Nuke program. It sounded good so that is what I got. Of course as others talk about it was on me so if I didn't make it through Nuke school I would have probably been sent to the fleet as a conventional machinist mate.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:54 PM

863 posts, read 283,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Obviously I need to go talk to a recruiter, but I wanted some first-hand opinions from others before I took that step.

I've been considering for quite some time now. Am I too old? Is it more difficult the older you are? Am I limited to certain branches or certain fields of work due to my age?

What are some of the first steps one needs to take, and what are some of the options out there?

Any and all input much appreciated.
Sorry but IMO (and remembering basic training in 1969 at 19 yrs old) your age will give you a lot of trouble unless you are in Olympic Athlete shape. At about 30 most bodies are staring to wind down unless you work your body like a borrowed mule all the time.

There are other ways to serve if you ask around.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:02 PM

324 posts, read 76,556 times
Too old. Next

Old 04-15-2018, 06:09 PM

9,789 posts, read 6,927,812 times
My best fitness test score was when I was over 50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues