Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 03:08 PM

149 posts, read 439,252 times

Advertisements

I've been looking everywhere for discount military airfare. I understand that some airlines will give discounts for certain flights but does anyone know of some great deals on flights? I've even heard that you can fly free on a military plane but never knew where to go to take advantage. Any help would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 04:44 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,232,742 times
If you are a service member you and your family can travel Space A.

Mil Space-A Travel - Online Signup Request
My ex and I used this form and the process was fairly simple. There is also decent info at most military installations.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:31 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,529,513 times
AGreekDude, my past experience was that "military" fares were usually more expensive than other types of fares available to everybody. Online fare searches nowadays can save you lots of money. I'd check on the "military" dicount as you check into other discount fares.

As for 'Space-A" travel (thanks, ArmyPoohFan317) there are several guides on how to use Space A that you can usually find at the BX/PX or Navy Exchange (NEX?)

I've used Space A a number of times. It can be quite an adventure, can result in some interesting adventures and you MUST have the resources to return to your duty station comercially if your Space A flight cannot get you there on time.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyPoohFan317 View Post
If you are a service member you and your family can travel Space A.

Mil Space-A Travel - Online Signup Request
My ex and I used this form and the process was fairly simple. There is also decent info at most military installations.
Thanks for that site...I was reading the fine print and it seems that I can only use this while on active duty? I'm in the guard and just trying to set up a vacation to Hawaii

And crewcheif i did find that most flights that a civilian can get are about as cheap as you can get.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:30 PM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Space A is all about priority.

AD Officers [on orders];
AD officers [by rank];
AD enlisted [on orders];
AD enlisted [by rank];
part-time officers on orders;
part-time enlisted on orders;
Retired Officers;
Retired enlisted;

You can 'setup' a flight, be on time, and have your luggage in hand. If 1 minute before boarding someone else shows up, and they are 'above' you in that ranking, then they get that open seat.

If you live near an Air force base, it is great!

They will put your name on a list, and call you an hour before any flight that you qualify to go on. They will send a van to get you and your luggage.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:27 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,529,513 times
Forest Beekeper, I believe Space-A travel is based on your category and being officer or enlisted makes no difference. I believe the categories are:

- Emergency leave
- travel on official orders
- active duty non-duty
- active duty dependents on EML leave from remote overseas tour
- Retirees

The USAF's Air Mobility Command sets the rules for AMC-controlled flights. The other services may have different rules for non-AMC flights from their own installations.

All categories are based on first sign up-first to fly. Now, it's been awhile since I've looked at the Space-A regs and I believe they've changed some things. Like spouses flying from overseas locations used to have to get off the flight at the first U.S. landing the aircraft makes. I don't believe that's the case now.

AGreekDude, I know Guard/Reserve members can fly Space-A; I'm just not sure what the ins and outs are. Like I said, get one of those Space-A books from the BX/PX or google "Military Space-Available travel. Good luck!

Old 12-16-2008, 01:10 PM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Forest Beekeper, I believe Space-A travel is based on your category and being officer or enlisted makes no difference. I believe the categories are:

- Emergency leave
- active duty non-duty
- Retirees
I goofed the categories.

It is by rank though.

Traveling on orders, the highest rank are boarded first, and they go down through the ranks until all seats are taken.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

- Emergency leave
- active duty non-duty
- Retirees

The USAF's Air Mobility Command sets the rules for AMC-controlled flights. The other services may have different rules for non-AMC flights from their own installations.

All categories are based on first sign up-first to fly. Now, it's been awhile since I've looked at the Space-A regs and I believe they've changed some things. Like spouses flying from overseas locations used to have to get off the flight at the first U.S. landing the aircraft makes. I don't believe that's the case now.

AGreekDude, I know Guard/Reserve members can fly Space-A; I'm just not sure what the ins and outs are. Like I said, get one of those Space-A books from the BX/PX or google "Military Space-Available travel. Good luck!
Thanks for all the help guys a free flight would be great.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:48 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,921,080 times
AGreekDude, I don't know which branch you're in..but the AF (mine) has ITT or Tickets and Tours--they always have some kind of specials going on whether discounts for theme park tickets (Disneyland, etc) or flight tickets and such. You could try checking out with your MWR (if you're in the other branch) and see if they have something equivalent to ITT.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:45 AM

470 posts, read 1,841,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I goofed the categories.

It is by rank though.

Traveling on orders, the highest rank are boarded first, and they go down through the ranks until all seats are taken.

that's because of protocol and nothing else. if you are on orders (being the key word) you wouldn't be travelling space-a.

but back to travelling space-a. its a great beni when you can use it. i used it a couple of times, but i also made sure i had enough leave on the books and money in the bank if i couldn't get on (which i did! whew!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues