U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:03 PM

718 posts, read 2,834,539 times

Advertisements

My company wants to see my paperwork for me shipping off but my recruiter says they dont need to see it. I dont know what to do. I gave my company 6 months notice and they are telling me I will loose my job if I dont show them proof of my leaving, which is against the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 12:23 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,152,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
My company wants to see my paperwork for me shipping off but my recruiter says they dont need to see it. I dont know what to do. I gave my company 6 months notice and they are telling me I will loose my job if I dont show them proof of my leaving, which is against the law.
So what's the big deal, show them your enlistment paperwork and ensure your right to return if you want to. I do believe the law requires some type of paperwork as proof of enlistment, deployment or reserve duty.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:36 PM

718 posts, read 2,834,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
So what's the big deal, show them your enlistment paperwork and ensure your right to return if you want to. I do believe the law requires some type of paperwork as proof of enlistment, deployment or reserve duty.
My employer is telling me the paperwork is not correct like they want me to get frustrated and quit. They are running me thru hoops at something that should be simple.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:37 PM

17,638 posts, read 19,027,454 times
I'm wondering why your company is asking. I feel like we don't know the whole story. But once you get in the service you will find people wanting to see your ID and copies of your orders etc.

Based on what you have said so far, I would just give them what they are asking for. You know, they might be planning a party for you...

Rich

Old 01-15-2010, 12:52 PM

Here is a fact sheet on your rights under federal law.

Give a copy of this flyer to your employer and if push comes to shove you can file a complaint against them.

http://www.dol.gov/vets/programs/userra/USERRA_Federal.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by Balad1; 01-15-2010 at 01:06 PM..

Old 01-15-2010, 12:53 PM

2,176 posts, read 4,601,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I'm wondering why your company is asking. I feel like we don't know the whole story. But once you get in the service you will find people wanting to see your ID and copies of your orders etc.

Based on what you have said so far, I would just give them what they are asking for. You know, they might be planning a party for you...

Rich
I agree 100%...

On a side note, I have heard since so many companies are laying people off, it's legal to lay a military member off. The employer just can't "admit" it was because of the military. When investigating, it hard to prove or disprove. Anyone know more?

Old 01-15-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
My employer is telling me the paperwork is not correct like they want me to get frustrated and quit. They are running me thru hoops at something that should be simple.
DO NOT QUIT, you would then be playing into their hands.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:03 PM

17,638 posts, read 19,027,454 times
Here are a few basics on employment. Just general information.

1. If you quit a job you lose some benefits. You will not be able to draw unemployment payments for example.

2. If an employer terminates you for cause, they will have to pay part of your unemployment payments. Their "Unemployment Insurance" rates can vary depending on various factors. Generally the employer is better off if you quit.

3. At one time there was some protection of your job if your were going into the military.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-15-2010 at 03:44 PM..

Old 01-15-2010, 01:08 PM

1,881 posts, read 4,942,093 times
If you didn't have to show them anything, people could lie and say "I'll be back in 2 months, after basic" and just be sitting at home on their butts.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:19 PM

9,807 posts, read 6,450,585 times
I think we are already seeing hardships being put on employers due to the reserves and guards being deployed so often.

It will backfire in the future ( I believe it already has)

An employer will be reluctant to hire people in the reserves/guard knowing they can be called up to be absent for 14 months many times.

We do not have a draft anymore and I believe employers are seeing the consequences of hiring guards/reservists then losing their services for 14 months over and over.

Hard to run a business employing reservists/guard today.

Employers have my sympathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues