U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 07:28 AM

39 posts, read 264,549 times

Advertisements

I will try to keep this brief and get right to the point! I went to MEPS in October for my physical. The doctor wouldn't sign off on me because I had a scar and she wanted Med Docs from when I had my son via c-section. After going throught the hospital, the doctors office, the medical records holding company, back through the hospital; all of my med docs were sent to her. She then wanted any other medical documention I have. Well I don't go to the doctor regularly and have never been in the hospital for anthing other than child birth, so the AF liason at MEPS had me write a letter to the doctor appologizing for not saying anything about the scar and to inform her that I don't have any more med docs. Well after two weeks I was told that I have to go for a Psych eval. It was scheduled and rescheduled, and now I go on Wednesday.

My question is: what should I expect? What's the process going to be like? I was told by my recruiter that I will go to MEPS process in then they'll taxi me to the eval, the people there will sign off on my docs, then they'll take me back to MEPS I'll swear in and be good to go. But I've been reading horror stories, and my recruiter hasn't been the most reliable through this process. I've heard that if a waiver's required it would have to go to the SG and it could take weeks to hear anything, that the results could take a few weeks to get back then they'll go back to the original Dr and she'll have the final say.

If anyone can give me some advice I'd really appreciate it. If you need more of the story in order to give me a better understanding of what's going to happen just message me! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 10:11 AM

1,707 posts, read 5,932,784 times
I'm not quite sure why the eval but I would be polite, friendly and do not offer any information other than what is asked of me. Too many people get nervous and run off at the mouth and dig themselves into a hole.

Anytime you disclose something, even minor it opens another door and delays the process.

Good luck

Old 01-18-2010, 01:12 PM

1,476 posts, read 3,855,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
I'm not quite sure why the eval but I would be polite, friendly and do not offer any information other than what is asked of me. Too many people get nervous and run off at the mouth and dig themselves into a hole.

Anytime you disclose something, even minor it opens another door and delays the process.

Good luck
Well said!

Old 01-18-2010, 02:44 PM

14,693 posts, read 21,319,455 times
Did they have any English speaking Drs. at your MEPS? When I went they were all Russian and Polish. I could barely understand what the heck they were saying so for all I know I lied to 'em.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:54 AM

She did speak English, but with a heavy accent and she was very quiet and I answered what I heard. Then I was told that I lied and I didn't even know it! I was also told that if I didn't understand a question that I should have asked for clarrification.... How do you ask someone to clarrify something that you thought you understood? Hopefully tomorrow goes well and they'll let me swear in. I've been at least for over a year and a half!

Old 01-25-2010, 10:35 AM

I went for the consult. It was nothing at all, I went talked to the Psychiatrist and he pretty much played mediator trying to figure out what happened and why the Doctor at MEPS is making me jump through hoops. He said it was clearly a misunderstanding and that he saw no reason for me to not be able to enlist. As I was leaving he said he would fax over the results and after that it was up to MEPS.

Fast forward. That was on Wednesday and I have yet to hear anything. I've been in touch with my recruiter, but she just says there's no news. Is this normal? I was told there's nothing to be waived so it shouldn't have to go to the SG. How long does the doc have to give approval and would she have any reason to DQ me?
Thanks!

Old 01-25-2010, 11:53 AM

1,707 posts, read 5,932,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF090909 View Post
I went for the consult. It was nothing at all, I went talked to the Psychiatrist and he pretty much played mediator trying to figure out what happened and why the Doctor at MEPS is making me jump through hoops. He said it was clearly a misunderstanding and that he saw no reason for me to not be able to enlist. As I was leaving he said he would fax over the results and after that it was up to MEPS.

Fast forward. That was on Wednesday and I have yet to hear anything. I've been in touch with my recruiter, but she just says there's no news. Is this normal? I was told there's nothing to be waived so it shouldn't have to go to the SG. How long does the doc have to give approval and would she have any reason to DQ me?
Thanks!
The system (MEPS) moves at it's own pace, sloooow...

Hopefully you'll here something soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues