Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 07:30 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,189 times

Advertisements

My son is interested in joining the Marines, however he is on an anti-depressent. Will it be possible for him to join once he is off the medication? his dr. is currently taking him off the meds to see how he does. Does the Marines do a complete medical background check on people? I know people don't always disclose all of those kinds of issues which I am uncomfortable with. I am just afraid his depression issue could keep him from doing something he would like to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 07:48 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,700,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
My son is interested in joining the Marines, however he is on an anti-depressent. Will it be possible for him to join once he is off the medication? his dr. is currently taking him off the meds to see how he does. Does the Marines do a complete medical background check on people? I know people don't always disclose all of those kinds of issues which I am uncomfortable with. I am just afraid his depression issue could keep him from doing something he would like to do.
He was put on the meds for a reason during regular times...I can only imagine how he'd fare living for months in a tent or even the stress of basic...While I do not know the specifics of your son, but he could be really setting himself up for disaster...

Old 01-19-2010, 05:04 AM

39 posts, read 313,011 times
You may need to do some more research on this, however, there are many different factors in this situation that only a recruiter is going to be able to help you with. It will depend on the severity of his depression, how he reacts off the meds, he'll also need to be off the medication for a year before he will even be considered. At that point they may require a waiver which has to go through the chain of command. Although this is something he truly wants to do, he needs to realize that his fellow Marines lives may be in his hands one day, and the Corps' main concern will be how he'll react in that situation.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:25 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times
I'm a Marine recruiter. Why was he put on medication? Who prescribed it? What i've found is alot of times people are over/mis-diagnosed. As far it's a teenager going through puberty/hormone changes who is naturally goign to be deressed so send him to a psyche and drug him up. The same with ADHD, which I legitimately have, but never took any medication for it(besides some tough love and occasional soft belt when I needed it).

Anyways, your son has to be off medication for at least a year. During that time he has to show no signs or symptoms. Judged by being able to finish school if a senior or hold down a steady job, if a grad. Statements from his psyche may be required as well. All copies of his medical files will be required. He also may pull a psyche eval at MEPS. If he has ever been suicidal, forget about it.

Those are the basics, based on the limited information you gave. I have a kid right now, who is in boot camp. He's 22. Back when he was sixteen he given prozac or zoloft by his family doctor for anxiety. He was on it for a very short time, didn't like it and came off. He had never been to a psychologist and never had any incidents aside from that. He was in community college when I met him. It was judged his anxiety was just puberty.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:52 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
This should go without saying but don't let the recruiter convince you or him to not disclose this information. Not saying all recruiters would do something like that but frankly, some would.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:00 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
This should go without saying but don't let the recruiter convince you or him to not disclose this information. Not saying all recruiters would do something like that but frankly, some would.
x2

Also, be advised he may need to get letters about his behavior from a few school teachers/counselor/officials.

At least, the MEPS, who processes all service applicants, would sometimes ask for these behavioral type letters when I was still recruiting (not USMC, but Army).

It's good for kids in school to get names and addresses of teachers, coaches and counselors who know them well anyway -- never know when you'll need them for reference/security clearance.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:25 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I'm a Marine recruiter. Why was he put on medication? Who prescribed it? What i've found is alot of times people are over/mis-diagnosed. As far it's a teenager going through puberty/hormone changes who is naturally goign to be deressed so send him to a psyche and drug him up. The same with ADHD, which I legitimately have, but never took any medication for it(besides some tough love and occasional soft belt when I needed it).

Anyways, your son has to be off medication for at least a year. During that time he has to show no signs or symptoms. Judged by being able to finish school if a senior or hold down a steady job, if a grad. Statements from his psyche may be required as well. All copies of his medical files will be required. He also may pull a psyche eval at MEPS. If he has ever been suicidal, forget about it.

Those are the basics, based on the limited information you gave. I have a kid right now, who is in boot camp. He's 22. Back when he was sixteen he given prozac or zoloft by his family doctor for anxiety. He was on it for a very short time, didn't like it and came off. He had never been to a psychologist and never had any incidents aside from that. He was in community college when I met him. It was judged his anxiety was just puberty.
I'm an active duty Recruiting Supervisor who has been recruiting for 12 years and the advice given by macjr82 is spot on.

Don't try and hide this or fail to disclose it as your son will be sent home for a fraudulent enlistment when this comes out while in basic training.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:40 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I'm an active duty Recruiting Supervisor who has been recruiting for 12 years and the advice given by macjr82 is spot on.

Don't try and hide this or fail to disclose it as your son will be sent home for a fraudulent enlistment when this comes out while in basic training

Just to drive this point home, I had a young man who went to boot camp last tuesday. By Friday it came out during the "moment of truth" that he had seen a psychologist for depression or something of that nature during his sr yr of High school in 08. He was referred by his parents. He had never disclosed that info to any recruiter or anyone at MEPS. From talking to his mom after the fact, it seems like it was something that would've been waived, but since it came out the way it did, he's headed home already. This guy had been in the delayed entry program since june or july last yr.

No matter what someones hiding or how long they've been hiding it, they'll start admitting to cutting in the lunch line in 5th grade during the moment of truth. The ones who make it past that indiscretions are often found out when their background checks come back.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:51 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Just to drive this point home, I had a young man who went to boot camp last tuesday. By Friday it came out during the "moment of truth" that he had seen a psychologist for depression or something of that nature during his sr yr of High school in 08. He was referred by his parents. He had never disclosed that info to any recruiter or anyone at MEPS. From talking to his mom after the fact, it seems like it was something that would've been waived, but since it came out the way it did, he's headed home already. This guy had been in the delayed entry program since june or july last yr.

No matter what someones hiding or how long they've been hiding it, they'll start admitting to cutting in the lunch line in 5th grade during the moment of truth. The ones who make it past that indiscretions are often found out when their background checks come back.
I remember the MOT, that was a stressful day. We were up for almost 48 hours and then someone is yelling at you so you spit out everything you ever did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues