U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-27-2010, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,868 times
Default Fort Drum

Hello im new to blogging and fairly new to moving from one Military Base to another but i would like to ask if anyone knows how the area of Watertown is my husband has orders for us to go June 8,2010 if you could please tell me about the school systems, child care facilities, and is it difficult to get housing on base as while as different activities available to children and the type of support systems they have for military wives
MlHenry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 10:25 AM

3 posts, read 5,439 times
Default Fort DRUM HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MlHenry View Post
Hello im new to blogging and fairly new to moving from one Military Base to another but i would like to ask if anyone knows how the area of Watertown is my husband has orders for us to go June 8,2010 if you could please tell me about the school systems, child care facilities, and is it difficult to get housing on base as while as different activities available to children and the type of support systems they have for military wives
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/blogs/787699-mlhenry.html"]MlHenry[/URL]

My husband is stationed in Fort Drum and we are PCSing... I am actually still waiting for him to get housing. We are on the list. And you should definatly try and see what you can do to get on the list asap.. The wait has been about 6 weeks now lately for a 2 bedroom Jenl e1-e4... So it also depends on what you need for a house. I have been reading on the fort drum website and I dont know specifically about the support programs for the wives but I do know that they have community centers on post that provide alot of things you can do, such as pottery, jewelry, etc. I also recomend living on post, from what i have read it is much easier on the money to be on post and have allotment rather than BAH (Base and Housing Allowance). For children I dont know specifically about the schools but military schools are usually very good. They have an indoor playground on base in the community center as well as a splash park and skate parks Etc. and they do have child care facilities. As a wife you can have a government job. and i have heard that watertown and Fort Drum is very small town with good neighborhoods and low on crime. If you go to google and put in Fort Drum you can look it will say Fort Drum Home welcome... and click on that for the site and you can look around. Also if you click on newcomers and go to housing you can look at the floor plans for the different houses and see more about the wait times etc. I hope i was somewhat helpful. Also if you arent too far from fort drum i suggest not going with your husband at first because while you wait for housing you usually cant find anything for temporary housing and may end up having to find a place with a lease, and that can be costly... but if he goes alone he can get billet housing and be there while you wait for a house and then come up when you have a place. that is what we are doing and it is MUCH cheaper.. Only because we couldnt find anything for temporary housing and they wont let him stay in the barraks because he is married and you cant stay with him in billet housing. So it would be VERY costly especially because the cost of living is so high up there.. another reason why its good to be on base. I hope i was some help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues