U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 09:44 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,229,233 times

Advertisements

In addition to the mink blankets I would get requests from female friends to buy the knock off Coach handbags and ship them home.

Momma-san would be outside the shop and would box everything up for shipping for $1 a box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 08:52 AM

747 posts, read 1,516,389 times
My Son is on his second round there. He loves it. There are so many things to do over there.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:58 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,756,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
My Son is on his second round there. He loves it. There are so many things to do over there.
I was stationed there back in '85 and I used to visit there often when during my two year tour from '01 to 03'. To me it is the best assignment in Korea. Tell him to take advantage of the assignment. I had a chance to go toa tour of Beijing while stationed there. Also, he may want to go to the I believe is spelled Cheji do island. I would say it is the Hawaii of Korea. I never went there but all my Soldiers that did said it was a great place to visit. Of course he may want to have a tour to the DMZ where he appreciate freedom to a much higher level.

I love the food and I would suggest he can make friends with Korean families. What I suggest he can simply do what I did. I got me a Korean-English dicitionary, a notepad and simply went to shopping malls, coffee shops and met people. Koreans will embrace you if they see you want to learn about their culture. He will have people to visit every weekend and meet so many people and really enjoy the culture. It is a very old culture and learning about orieantal ways of life and philosophies is very rewarding.

One of my friends tought English to high school students. Well off parents do like to hire people to teach their kids to learn English. Also, there are companies that hire someone to teach English to their people that travel abroad so they need to speak English. Some of my friend got paid very well but they also got to see places free because many of these people simply want to practice to speak English. What they do? They may pay you to go to restaurants, shows, and other places so they simply want your company to practice the language.

It is up to your son how much he wants to get out of the Korean tour. Some Soldiers all they do is get drunk, get in trouble, chase Korean girls and go back to the states later. They wasted their time really learning and having fun with the Korean experience.

One word of caution. I do not know your son. I will say what I saw in many young Soldiers when I was there as a lower enlisted and later as a First Sergeant and Sergeant Major. Tell him not to get an attitiude of "I am American and you are low life Koreans" Tell him to respect the people the culture anywhere he goes. If he does not, he will get in trouble in some form or another and can even make his life misserable. If he the type that drink so much that he get troublesome, tell him I recomment he does so inside the military camp, not outside the gate. He can really get in big trouble if he does missbehave out there. If he learns at least some basics customs of the Korean people will go a long ways. Koreans will be more friendly and forgiving if you make a mistake if they see it was an honest one and show respect and when you do so. They will gladly teach you and and guide you how to behave among them.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 02-18-2010, 11:09 AM

144 posts, read 294,016 times
My son's tour in Korea is ending shortly and he has decided not to opt for another one in Korea. He is stationed at Camp Hovey. He did say that if he was assigned to Yongsan that he would have reconsidered.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:10 PM

867 posts, read 2,520,213 times
I hear most of Korea is an awesome place to be.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:04 PM

747 posts, read 1,516,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I was stationed there back in '85 and I used to visit there often when during my two year tour from '01 to 03'. To me it is the best assignment in Korea. Tell him to take advantage of the assignment. I had a chance to go toa tour of Beijing while stationed there. Also, he may want to go to the I believe is spelled Cheji do island. I would say it is the Hawaii of Korea. I never went there but all my Soldiers that did said it was a great place to visit. Of course he may want to have a tour to the DMZ where he appreciate freedom to a much higher level.

I love the food and I would suggest he can make friends with Korean families. What I suggest he can simply do what I did. I got me a Korean-English dicitionary, a notepad and simply went to shopping malls, coffee shops and met people. Koreans will embrace you if they see you want to learn about their culture. He will have people to visit every weekend and meet so many people and really enjoy the culture. It is a very old culture and learning about orieantal ways of life and philosophies is very rewarding.

One of my friends tought English to high school students. Well off parents do like to hire people to teach their kids to learn English. Also, there are companies that hire someone to teach English to their people that travel abroad so they need to speak English. Some of my friend got paid very well but they also got to see places free because many of these people simply want to practice to speak English. What they do? They may pay you to go to restaurants, shows, and other places so they simply want your company to practice the language.

It is up to your son how much he wants to get out of the Korean tour. Some Soldiers all they do is get drunk, get in trouble, chase Korean girls and go back to the states later. They wasted their time really learning and having fun with the Korean experience.

One word of caution. I do not know your son. I will say what I saw in many young Soldiers when I was there as a lower enlisted and later as a First Sergeant and Sergeant Major. Tell him not to get an attitiude of "I am American and you are low life Koreans" Tell him to respect the people the culture anywhere he goes. If he does not, he will get in trouble in some form or another and can even make his life misserable. If he the type that drink so much that he get troublesome, tell him I recomment he does so inside the military camp, not outside the gate. He can really get in big trouble if he does missbehave out there. If he learns at least some basics customs of the Korean people will go a long ways. Koreans will be more friendly and forgiving if you make a mistake if they see it was an honest one and show respect and when you do so. They will gladly teach you and and guide you how to behave among them.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Yes; I've heard him talk about some of these places you mentioned. He has so many pictures.
He dated a Korean girl for 4 years and learned the language. This time around he is teaching English classes. He has soldier under him and he keeps them out of trouble and has explained to them about the respect issue. It blows them away when he starts talking their language with them. They really like that.
He's thinking about signing on to stay longer this time. That's how much he likes the culture.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:25 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,886,806 times
korea is a WONDEFUL country. Best advice I can give: Get out and really see the country. It's sad that so many Americans who served in Korea have seen little of the country beyond the villages adjacent to their base/post.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:46 AM

1,492 posts, read 6,778,682 times
UPDATE:

My daughter just loves it over there!

She already has a cell phone-

does any one know how I can 'text' her from the internet.... there are sites anyone can text a US or Canadian #....but what about Korean?

Old 03-02-2010, 02:59 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,085,793 times
She will like Yongsan. She will be treated like a queen there

Old 03-12-2010, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 5,324 times
Glad to hear that she is enjoying it. I was in Korea for a year with my husband back in 2003 (Camp Eagle outside of Wonju) . I loved it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues