Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 06:23 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,871 times

Advertisements

or gals

Some of this may not be PC, but I just want to be honest and see if I can get any real responses.

Basically I'm having a hell of time finding a good paying job. I'm an Air Force vet (2001-2005) with an honorable discharge. I really didn't enjoy my time in, but I think that was mostly due to being stationed in Grand Forks, North Dakota.

Well, if things persist, I'm contemplating looking into the Navy. I was enlisted in the USAF, but now I have a B.S. in Physical Education. If I do decide to join the Navy I might have a M.S. by then.

So, now that I'm bored/confused you with my background, here are some things that I'm wondering:

Do you think I could receive a commission with my degree type? I know in the USAF I probably couldn't because there isn't a real job for that degree there. If anything, they might make me an officer for something like supply, services (food/gym/hotel), or the MPs.

Are there any jobs with little to no sea time? I know you are probably thinking "Why are you thinking about the Navy if you don't want to deploy?" Well, I'm just being upfront. A guy I know did his four years and never once went to sea, so I guess it's possible. I'm just wondering how common this is and what are some of the better career fields to get into to stay ashore.

Lastly, I know I could pull up a list of all Naval bases, but where are some of the most common places people get stationed? That's probably a strange question, but I ask because it seems almost everyone I've talked to was either stationed in Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Florida, or San Diego. One of the reasons I hated the USAF so much was because of where I was stationed at. There are quite a few bad assignments there so that why I'm not even contemplating it. It seems most places in the Navy are cool, so that's how we've come to this point.

Sorry for the long thread, but if someone could give me some answers I'd appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 05:43 PM

451 posts, read 1,228,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
or gals

Some of this may not be PC, but I just want to be honest and see if I can get any real responses.

Basically I'm having a hell of time finding a good paying job. I'm an Air Force vet (2001-2005) with an honorable discharge. I really didn't enjoy my time in, but I think that was mostly due to being stationed in Grand Forks, North Dakota.

Well, if things persist, I'm contemplating looking into the Navy. I was enlisted in the USAF, but now I have a B.S. in Physical Education. If I do decide to join the Navy I might have a M.S. by then.

So, now that I'm bored/confused you with my background, here are some things that I'm wondering:

Do you think I could receive a commission with my degree type? I know in the USAF I probably couldn't because there isn't a real job for that degree there. If anything, they might make me an officer for something like supply, services (food/gym/hotel), or the MPs.

Are there any jobs with little to no sea time? I know you are probably thinking "Why are you thinking about the Navy if you don't want to deploy?" Well, I'm just being upfront. A guy I know did his four years and never once went to sea, so I guess it's possible. I'm just wondering how common this is and what are some of the better career fields to get into to stay ashore.

Lastly, I know I could pull up a list of all Naval bases, but where are some of the most common places people get stationed? That's probably a strange question, but I ask because it seems almost everyone I've talked to was either stationed in Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Florida, or San Diego. One of the reasons I hated the USAF so much was because of where I was stationed at. There are quite a few bad assignments there so that why I'm not even contemplating it. It seems most places in the Navy are cool, so that's how we've come to this point.

Sorry for the long thread, but if someone could give me some answers I'd appreciate it.
I just seperated 4 weeks ago and was able to have a few offers before I got out. Good News. You have a degree. I have met super hornet pilots with degrees in music and history? I don't thing a degree in Phys ED can be that bad. But I do belive they backed them up with some calculus and physics. Now I know you don't want to be a pilot since you said no sea time, but just about everybody goes to sea now. You have the intel guys and information warfare officers who dont' have to do as much sea, but still get there fair share. You also have the PAO field, and the LAW field and they usually arent out at sea as much and you have the civil engineering corps, but those guys have degrees in well "engineering" or the scieneces most of the time. The navy is not a bad gig, but I'm here to tell you life is much harder than the airforce, so be prepared. You can do it if you want to.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:03 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
The Navy has ships, piers and warehouses.

Ships go to sea. They are only in port tied to piers during re-loading of supplies and repair periods. Thus the need for piers and warehouses.

Every sailor working on a pier or warehouse, is there for a 3 year shore-duty tour. After that they return back to a ship. This is true of enlisted and officers alike.

Advancement in the Navy is largely dependant upon the individual going to sea. Advancement is a competition within the Navy. Any sailor who swings a deal to do shore-duty, is lessening his changes for advancement.

There are sailors who are not allowed to stay in uniform. If you do not make advancement within certain time constraints then they are shown the exit.

Sailors go to sea, this is why they are paid better.

Those sailors who do manage to get a desk in an office or warehouse, are damaging their careers and increasing the chances that they will not be allowed to stay in uniform. If you can not stay in for a minimum of 20 years, then you get no pension.

There are officers with every degree imaginable. The needs of the Navy change every month. One month they many only want engineers and physicists. The next month they may bring in English majors, PoliSci and shrinks.

I was able to do a lot of investing during my 20 year career. We collected apartment buildings, one at each duty station kind of thing. So that when I got my pension, we were able to support our family from the pension and our investment income.

None of the other branches pay high enough to allow enlisted men to do such investing.

The Navy is not entirely a bad gig.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:20 AM

27 posts, read 117,949 times
In the Navy, the duty stations are generally pretty good (especially San Diego and Norfolk). After being at Ft. Bragg (my dad was Army), I realized that I wanted to go Navy because I love being near the water. It's funny to me, though, that an Air Force person would want to go Navy. From what I've heard, the amenities provided by the Air Force are generally better than the other branches. I see your point about North Dakota, though. Amenities don't mean much when the location is miserable.

I would really think about the possibility of going to sea. The other posters are right about it pretty much being a requirement. Most jobs will send you to sea and your career will demand it regardless. I'm sure every sailor knows a handful of people who manage to shirk sea duty, but those people don't win in the long run. Not only does their career advancement suffer, but they can also lose the respect of many of their peers. Part of being a sailor is going to sea. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's the reality and I would hate to see you join the Navy and not be happy with Navy life.

Chances are, with your chosen degree field, you would get a job that requires sea time. I would talk to an officer recruiter and see what designators sound interesting to you.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:31 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
Seabees don't work on ships, but you will be "shipped" overseas, most likely to the Middle East, for the majority of your time, in that rate. Some medical personnel don't do sea time either. NC (career recruiters) don't ship out, but you have to have time at sea to even qualify for that rate.

Although asking questions here can be good, be sure to contact your nearest officer recruiter. Only they know for sure what you qualify for and what's open right now.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:51 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,871 times
Okay, thanks for the info thus far. Here are just a few things I'd like to add...

I'm sure the USAF does have better amenities, but like someone said, that means nothing when you're stationed in the middle of nowhere freezing your behind off.

It's not that I'm totally opposed to sea duty, or whatever it's called, it's just that I would try to avoid if I could. I'm sure that sounds kind of shady, but we're being honest here, right? I'm married, and may have a kid then.

As far as advancement, I'm not too terribly concerned about that. If I did join, which wouldn't be any time soon, I would probably just do four years.

I haven't heard too much about common duty stations. Where did some of you get stationed at for your first assignment?

Old 09-22-2008, 09:43 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
As far as advancement, I'm not too terribly concerned about that. If I did join, which wouldn't be any time soon, I would probably just do four years.

I haven't heard too much about common duty stations. Where did some of you get stationed at for your first assignment?
Groton Ct, for 6 weeks.
Damn Neck Virginia for 20 months.
Groton Ct, for 3 years.
Newport News Virginia for 1 year.

[I got out and did 4 years in college then I returned to the Navy]

Dunoon Scotland for 3 years.
Groton Ct for 2 years.
Charleston South Carolina for 1 year.
Bremerton Washington for 1 year.
Subase Bangor in Washington [near Silverdale] for 4 years.
Naples Italy for 3 years.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:01 PM

5 posts, read 16,965 times
Quote:
Okay, thanks for the info thus far. Here are just a few things I'd like to add...

I'm sure the USAF does have better amenities, but like someone said, that means nothing when you're stationed in the middle of nowhere freezing your behind off.

It's not that I'm totally opposed to sea duty, or whatever it's called, it's just that I would try to avoid if I could. I'm sure that sounds kind of shady, but we're being honest here, right? I'm married, and may have a kid then.

I am enlisted and I have been a Navy Seabee for 13 years.
I have never set foot on a Ship, but I have been deployed for 7 months at a time (before the deployment change). Now, for Seabee Battalions it is 6 months deployed and 10 months home port. No B.S. we currently rotate in and out of the middle east.

Places I have been:

Great Lakes,Chicago(Boot camp), 2 months
Sheppard Air Force base TX, Rating school, 3 months
GTMO,Cuba 18 months
Pt Hueneme CA,(Battalion) 3 years- deployed 3 times to Spain,Germany,Diego Garcia and Guam.
D.C.- 4yrs
Irag 3 months
Kenya 3 months
Belgium (Special Duty) 3 yrs
San Diego 1 yr

Hope this helps.

But for Officers you will have different choices.

Good Luck!

Old 09-22-2008, 01:13 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
My dh was stationed at:

Great Lakes, Boot
San Diego, USS Pelilieu (Sea Duty)
San Diego, ASW Base, School
Mayport, FL, USS Boone (Sea Duty)
Pensacola, School
Albuquerque, Recruiting Duty

Other than Albuquerque, they were all pretty common stations. We had choices that consisted of Japan, England (though I think that base has closed down now), Hawaii and Virginia. We had friends transfer to Washington State, New York and Texas. His cousin is currently stationed in Georgia and just volunteered for a 9 month stint in Bahrain. He is a MA (Master at Arms), and does not do sea duty either. Another cousin of his just got orders for Pensacola. Most of the Navy people we know are in San Diego or Virginia. A friend's husband here in the Springs is a Naval Officer and is stationed at NORAD.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:08 PM

111 posts, read 353,645 times
There's a saying in the Navy, 'you pick your rate, you pick your fate.' I'm a Sonar Techincian, surface. Our shore duty isn't much more than recruiter, RDC, and instructor. Most of the time we're on ships - destoryers, cruisers, and frigates, aka smallboys. But that's okay with me because I love being on a ship...it's so cool! Anyways, on the opposite side of the spectrum are Legalmen. They hardly ever go on ships because they work for the JAG's, who are on shore duty somewhere most of the time. I'm not sure about officers, though.
Common duty stations: Norfolk, San Diego, Japan, Florida, Hawaii, Iraq...it all depends on your rate. But then again, I'm not sure how it works for officers, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues