U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 08:57 PM

4,328 posts, read 7,052,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
You guarantee every single job in the Navy in advance, in writing, with the option to get out if it is not fullfilled? I am not speaking of general career field. Every specialty. If so, has the Navy been doing it 40+ years?

Rich
40 years? I can't speak to what they were doing 40 years ago since I've only been on active duty for 24 years. They were guaranteeing jobs 24 years ago and we still do today. The Navy does have a program where a person can go in "undesignated" and choose their job at a later time, however, this is only given to people who choose this path and it is rarely used anymore. Almost every person I put in the Navy (I'd say 99%+) is under a job guarantee.

Army Recruiters have been lying to applicants for the 12 years I've been a Navy Recruiter and saying "The Army is the only service that guarantees jobs." which is total BS.

I would like to post a quote for you from about.com...

"On the negative side, of all of the services, the Army has the worst reputation for working soldiers in jobs that have nothing to do with what their MOS is."

What the Recruiter Never Told You -- Part 3, Enlistment Process and Job Selection

So, you be the judge...
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 09:26 AM

23,028 posts, read 35,320,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Army Recruiters have been lying to applicants for the 12 years I've been a Navy Recruiter and saying "The Army is the only service that guarantees jobs." which is total BS.
I am not going to get into an argument on this issue...

Rich

Old 02-24-2010, 10:27 AM

3,728 posts, read 5,470,140 times
Quote:
You guarantee every single job in the Navy in advance, in writing, with the option to get out if it is not fullfilled? I am not speaking of general career field. Every specialty. If so, has the Navy been doing it 40+ years?

Rich

I don't know if they have been doing it for 40 years, but when I joined in 1985 they were doing it.

I was given a choice of jobs that I qualified for (97 on asvab) some sounded interesting, some did not. I picked the one I wanted, signed the papers and went to bootcamp. Got my guaranteed school right after boot camp, even ended up lucky because they had an advanced school with open seats that needed filled after I had gotten my "A" school completed.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:54 AM

409 posts, read 2,281,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I don't know if they have been doing it for 40 years, but when I joined in 1985 they were doing it.

I was given a choice of jobs that I qualified for (97 on asvab) some sounded interesting, some did not. I picked the one I wanted, signed the papers and went to bootcamp. Got my guaranteed school right after boot camp, even ended up lucky because they had an advanced school with open seats that needed filled after I had gotten my "A" school completed.
NICE! I hope this happens to me in MEPS tomorrow. The Air Force is different.

Last edited by MrDezi; 02-24-2010 at 12:11 PM..

Old 02-24-2010, 11:56 AM

23,028 posts, read 35,320,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post

Thanks for the explanation. To be honest I really do not know how the Navy handles it. I assume there is always some choice and times change and myths are created. I know some younger people tend to sometimes only hear only certain parts of what the recruiter may be saying.

Rich

Old 02-25-2010, 08:19 AM

3,728 posts, read 5,470,140 times
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. To be honest I really do not know how the Navy handles it. I assume there is always some choice and times change and myths are created. I know some younger people tend to sometimes only hear only certain parts of what the recruiter may be saying.

Rich

While I was in bootcamp there were people who went in "undesignated" and usually ended up as boatswains mates (read paint chippers lol) but some did end up in other areas as well. Those were mostly guys who had no clue what they wanted and went in with the idea that they would find out what they wanted to do after they were in.

I am sure that some of the recruiters lied to get people in, and I am just as sure that all the services had recruiters that did that at some point lol

Old 02-25-2010, 09:25 PM

3,069 posts, read 7,140,949 times
My only question is, if you already have a degree, why are you going enlisted? Especially in to days recruiting enviroment, you might get to OTS for the AF b4 you'd get to boot camp for enlisted. Did your AF recruiter ever give you the option to talk to their officer selection office?

If it's like the Marine Corps, you can go officer at any point, though. There's been people waiting to go to boot camp that got pulled by the OSO, people who were in boot camp that pulled by the OSO, and people who graduated boot camp and were in their job schools that pulled by the OSO. Even once your training is complete and you;re in the active forces, you can put in an officer package and if approved you get pulled from whatever assignment you're. Even recruiting duty, which is nigh impossible to leave early otherwise.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:23 PM

409 posts, read 2,281,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
My only question is, if you already have a degree, why are you going enlisted? Especially in to days recruiting enviroment, you might get to OTS for the AF b4 you'd get to boot camp for enlisted. Did your AF recruiter ever give you the option to talk to their officer selection office?

If it's like the Marine Corps, you can go officer at any point, though. There's been people waiting to go to boot camp that got pulled by the OSO, people who were in boot camp that pulled by the OSO, and people who graduated boot camp and were in their job schools that pulled by the OSO. Even once your training is complete and you;re in the active forces, you can put in an officer package and if approved you get pulled from whatever assignment you're. Even recruiting duty, which is nigh impossible to leave early otherwise.
Thanks for the recommendation. As I replied in this or other thread, I will submit by Officer package once I am out basic training. There are several reasons I did not apply to be an officer directly, one of them being "the current recruiting environment".

Anyway, I completed MEPS in San Antonio TX. Chose my 7 AF specialty areas and now I am waiting to be sent to basic. Good Stuff.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:54 PM

1,707 posts, read 5,942,340 times
Good luck; never second guess your decision and always give 110%.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:26 AM

2,551 posts, read 3,452,953 times
Going to MEPS:

1. Remember, you'll be in there all day long (when I first went into the Army, going through my physical at MEPS, I didn't get sworn in until 4pm! That was 12 long hours there!).

2. The physical is an all day process.

3. Make sure you can pee, because they do watch you pee and such, when doing the urinanalysis (drug testing).

4. Watch your weight (it's best not to eat at all until after your height and weight have been taken after. That's normally the first thing they do).

5. Lots of paper work to do before the physical (you'll be filling out a long paperwork thing about yourself before they conduct the physical). Be prepared to write.

6. Stay awake (they do yell at you for falling asleep...This is your first taste of military life).

7. Pay attention at all times.

8. Be patient (like I said before, it's a very long process. Don't expect to get out of there soon).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues