U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 07:45 AM

3,069 posts, read 7,127,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. As I replied in this or other thread, I will submit by Officer package once I am out basic training. There are several reasons I did not apply to be an officer directly, one of them being "the current recruiting environment".

Anyway, I completed MEPS in San Antonio TX. Chose my 7 AF specialty areas and now I am waiting to be sent to basic. Good Stuff.

In the AF it may not be as easy to go from enlisted to officer as the other services. I recruit in an AF town. Recently their was a guy who was a few credits shy of Masters and wasn't able to cross over. His recruiter never explored officer options with him plus he was trying to get to boot camp ASAP as well. What he ended up doing was doing the
GoArmy.com > Operation Blue to Green > Overview (http://www.goarmy.com/btg/ - broken link) and became an officer that way. Just another option if you have trouble getting selected once you get in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 03:46 PM

28,384 posts, read 34,355,125 times
With a degree get to OCS ASAP. Spend the extra month now doing the paperwork (and yes it is, or was, a pain) and go then.
I didn't see "Pilot" listed in your choices. It should be. Of course the Navy has "Aviators". There is a difference.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:27 AM

409 posts, read 2,277,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
Going to MEPS:

1. Remember, you'll be in there all day long (when I first went into the Army, going through my physical at MEPS, I didn't get sworn in until 4pm! That was 12 long hours there!).

2. The physical is an all day process.

3. Make sure you can pee, because they do watch you pee and such, when doing the urinanalysis (drug testing).

4. Watch your weight (it's best not to eat at all until after your height and weight have been taken after. That's normally the first thing they do).

5. Lots of paper work to do before the physical (you'll be filling out a long paperwork thing about yourself before they conduct the physical). Be prepared to write.

6. Stay awake (they do yell at you for falling asleep...This is your first taste of military life).

7. Pay attention at all times.

8. Be patient (like I said before, it's a very long process. Don't expect to get out of there soon).
Something else that drug users should note: Stay clean! At least for weeks before MEPS. They do urine and blood tests. I saw a couple of people getting in trouble because of this. Also, Please don't drink (alcohol) the day before MEPS. They do breathalizer test to everyone. This should be common sense but apparently it was not on my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
With a degree get to OCS ASAP. Spend the extra month now doing the paperwork (and yes it is, or was, a pain) and go then.
I didn't see "Pilot" listed in your choices. It should be. Of course the Navy has "Aviators". There is a difference.
The reason Pilot is not listed is because I am not interested in being a pilot. I have other interests.

I will submit an officer package as soon as I get settled and after I finish the initial trainings. I will do it, even if it takes a couple of years.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:55 PM

28,384 posts, read 34,355,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
Something else that drug users should note: Stay clean! At least for weeks before MEPS. They do urine and blood tests. I saw a couple of people getting in trouble because of this. Also, Please don't drink (alcohol) the day before MEPS. They do breathalizer test to everyone. This should be common sense but apparently it was not on my experience.

The reason Pilot is not listed is because I am not interested in being a pilot. I have other interests.

I will submit an officer package as soon as I get settled and after I finish the initial trainings. I will do it, even if it takes a couple of years.

DON'T WANT TO BE A PILOT??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Double

Old 03-27-2010, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,899 times
Can you go back to MEPS at any time if they don't offer you the job you want the first time you visit? I'm considering enlisting in the Navy. The recruiter I talked to said it was hard to get into any of the ratings right now because everything is so over-manned. True or False?

Old 03-28-2010, 12:17 PM

664 posts, read 1,640,683 times
[quote=punch_the_lion;13483030]Can you go back to MEPS at any time if they don't offer you the job you want the first time you visit? I'm considering enlisting in the Navy. The recruiter I talked to said it was hard to get into any of the ratings right now

It could be. What rate did you want to get? I would wait and try again later, don't take something you don't want or are not intereseted in. One wise word of advice DON'T GO IN AS A SEAMEN RECRUIT!!!!!! Make sure you have an A school right after bootcamp in your contract!!!!!!

Old 03-28-2010, 12:31 PM

2,869 posts, read 8,287,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZ_098 View Post
I forgot, if there is a specific job you really want, make sure it goes on the contract. Don't sign until you're confident and ready. Do NOT list "Open General". That means they can pick whatever they want for you (as long as you qualify for it).

There is a minimum number of jobs you must list at MEPS. If you go to MEPS and say "I want this job, or I am walking away" they will gladly say "SEE YOU LATER!." There are 8,000 people waiting to ship to basic training, some of them willing to take ANY job... they aren't going to let someone be picky when there are that many people waiting. Special Forces and Linguists, and Band...those are the only guarantees you are going to get out of the gate. However, you will know your job before you leave for basic training unless you put "open." If you list 7 jobs, they will guarantee one of those jobs before you leave, but you can't just list one job. You have to be open to more than one job.

If you enlist for 6 years you will probably get a bonus or a higher rank upon completion of basic military training. Those are really the only advantages.

I'm not sure about the rest of your questions.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:28 PM

1,707 posts, read 5,932,784 times
If you score higher on the ASVAB you are more marketable to the recruiters and the services. There are classifications of potential recruits depending on apptitude scores and the recruiters are tasked to recruit the higher classifications.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:26 PM

409 posts, read 2,277,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch_the_lion View Post
Can you go back to MEPS at any time if they don't offer you the job you want the first time you visit? I'm considering enlisting in the Navy. The recruiter I talked to said it was hard to get into any of the ratings right now because everything is so over-manned. True or False?
Very true. We recently had a meeting with the regional AF recruiters and I was shocked at what they said.

One of the recruiters said that if we(the 20/30 people in the D.E.P. (delayed entry program)) could walk out any time we wanted. He was basically inviting any of us to leave the DEP! My recruiter is only getting 2 jobs per month. Theres 30 of us! Do the math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues