Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 06:57 PM

795 posts, read 2,295,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
Your additional insights and answers to any/all questions are sincerely appreciated!
At Eve’s Grave

Adam: Wheresoever she was, there was Eden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2006, 08:44 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,647,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasTraveler View Post
Home is where ever I hang my hat.
And Honolulu is a nice place to hang your hat. Haven't been there in 16 years though.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,608 times
Adream.... I'm certainly not a mis-fit, but I was just thinking today about just giving up the dream of fitting in. Actually, not so much thinking about giving up that dream as if I could switch it on or off, but more the feeling of it slipping away. Ya know.... i once read that, through history, one consistent definition of "happiness" has been "not longing for things you can't have." Maybe I am maturing. Maybe just tiring of banging my head against the same wall... or maybe learning from it. Perhaps now I can use my power for good instead of evil. MB's certainly are unique people- they suffer in unique ways, and they have very unique and cool traits as well. You wouldn't believe it but I'm known as a diehard optomist! And I am. One of the best traits my MBism has bestowed on me is that I am a good listener. Very non-judgmental. I don't know why but people trust me right off the bat and for some odd reason.... confide in me. I think that being a considerate listener is one way of using my MB power for good. Dwelling on my own isolation is using my MB power for evil. Ha ha, I ramble on about nothing. One thing I can tell you is that Seattle has a good economy, it's a beautiful part of the country, lots of fun stuff to do, and people are pretty easy going. Best wishes, Michael.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:47 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,965,616 times
I spent 18 years in the military. When I got out, I come home. Bought a house and thought, there. I'm done traveling. 2 years later, I started taking government contracts to transfer ships to foreign countries. I rented my house to my daughter and son in law. I headed for San Diego. Then, Pensacola Fl. Then Norfolk VA. Then Portland OR. Then San Diego. Then Charleston SC. Then Norfolk. Then Tampa FL. Then Grand Prairie Texas. Then I said, "Enough, I'm going home." that was 2 years ago. Last week I called up my old company and asked if there was anything available. In a couple weeks, I head for Pensacola FL.

Only this time I'm going to do it in a 37ft motor home I got last week. :-)

Old 02-19-2007, 06:32 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,751,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armhole View Post
Adream.... I'm certainly not a mis-fit, but I was just thinking today about just giving up the dream of fitting in. Actually, not so much thinking about giving up that dream as if I could switch it on or off, but more the feeling of it slipping away. Ya know.... i once read that, through history, one consistent definition of "happiness" has been "not longing for things you can't have." Maybe I am maturing. Maybe just tiring of banging my head against the same wall... or maybe learning from it. Perhaps now I can use my power for good instead of evil. MB's certainly are unique people- they suffer in unique ways, and they have very unique and cool traits as well. You wouldn't believe it but I'm known as a diehard optomist! And I am. One of the best traits my MBism has bestowed on me is that I am a good listener. Very non-judgmental. I don't know why but people trust me right off the bat and for some odd reason.... confide in me. I think that being a considerate listener is one way of using my MB power for good. Dwelling on my own isolation is using my MB power for evil. Ha ha, I ramble on about nothing. One thing I can tell you is that Seattle has a good economy, it's a beautiful part of the country, lots of fun stuff to do, and people are pretty easy going. Best wishes, Michael.
Beautifully expressed, Michael. How interesting that we share common traits; good listener with people trusting me as well, and I often encounter strangers confiding their deepest feelings to me. What is in our background that taught us this? It never dawned on me that this is something I must of learned as a result of my unorthodox upbringing.

Yes Michael, I can read the optimism in you between the lines.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:21 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,894,274 times
1 yes
2 yes
3 yes
4 yes
5 it is my hometown, i have family there, a home there,
6 yes

Old 02-20-2007, 12:28 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,065,909 times
I have moved 23 times I am 49
when I was younger it was Navy moves.
Then due to family issues(divorce)
The hardest part when I was younger was making "lasting friends" I guess not being able to say "we have been friends since grade school" is something I miss.
I use to get ansty every few years because thats the longest I had even been in one place.

The up side of moving so much is I find it easy to meet people. The experiences of living in so many different cities(never lived outside the states) is something I will always cherish.
My 21st move was 15 years ago when I moved to Florida, I called it my "coming of age move" It was probably the best move I made.
I met my husband and found a love for gardening.
We have been in this house for 6 1/2 years and I can saw this is the longest I have ever lived in one residence.
I didn't realize how much this had become home until we thought we were going to move to Atlanta Hello move 24!!! lol
Now that we are staying I realize that this is where I want to be.
karla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues