U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 06:23 AM

615 posts, read 1,297,251 times

Advertisements

This isn't meant to be a sexist topic at all, but I wanted to see what the communities thoughts on women on Submarines were? Being an ex-squid myself, I think it presents unique challenges to the service. I've rode with a few female midshipman before, and to say the least, it wasn't very pleasant for the crew.

Pentagon announces end of ban on women on subs - Navy News, news from Iraq - Navy Times
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 06:26 AM

42,204 posts, read 49,740,662 times
What wasn't pleasant about it?

Old 02-24-2010, 06:33 AM

615 posts, read 1,297,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What wasn't pleasant about it?
Well, for one dedicated lavatories for women, which meant that instead of 2 accessible heads for men to use, there was only 1. That means 4 toilets for potentially 40 men. Not wonderful.

Displaced Junior Officers, since women must have their own separate living quarters, JO's were displaced into Aft Berthing and forced E-5's into hotracking again.

Submarine culture is that of a fraternity, and often times it turns into a frat-house. We have unique ways of making the time pass during 30-60 day stints where we are on communication lockdown due to being in an area we shouldn't be. I'm not sure how Females would play into that? There is definitely some very crude behavior and jokes that go on.
-----

I guess it might be different if correct planning was done from the get go, but people need to understand that the Submarine designs, were made for a male-only force. That's why the lavatories are designed in the middle of two berthing units, even on the Virginia class submarines.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:18 PM

3,697 posts, read 6,712,673 times
A poor idea advocated by social engineers who never have to suffer the consequences of their brilliant ideas.

It ain't broke, don't fix it.

The only rational alternative I can see is to train an all female gold or blue crew. Do not mix sexes in subs.

Just another damned bad idea from the far left.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:58 PM

1,492 posts, read 6,775,071 times
This will pass and before long people will forget there was once upon a time women weren't allowed to be on subs...like once upon a time women weren't allowed to pilot a plane- oh yeah- they weren't way back when!

And once upon a time women weren't allowed to do anything but use a typewritter pretty much....

it's all meant to pass.... one day things will be equal across the board and no one will remember when things were different.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:43 PM

2,034 posts, read 3,529,257 times
was in VP'S when they were opened to women~ outside of some hardheads most adapted rather quickly~ expect the same in subs. Once the tradition idiots get it through their heads they cannot turn back the clock things will work out rather well.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:03 PM

1,677 posts, read 3,609,641 times
Oh here we go. Women and men are equal in everything.
Congress won't pass it.

The women want to play soldier but don't want to shave their heads (and yes it does matter).
The sexual harassment complaints will increase (look at all the complaints since women went on ships).

Any women that doesn't think her presence on an all male sub team is a distraction and that equals danger is other wise confused and doesn't comprehend reality.

I can just see it. "Men evacuate the head; female time for washing and conditioning of hair; men stop using the kotex as toilet paper " oh! don't forget the extra room for the gynecologist in case the female gets cramps.

Let's see, how much of the budget will be for making new subs to accommodate women? And what about quota! How many females to males to show you care? What happened to the DADT?
Women give birth, men fight, and if the women want to fight; MD's, pilots, nurses, mechanics, basically all of it except for close contact units such as subs and special forces.

There have been many women in history that were warriors, but they are a few and far between (and it always ends up in horrific rape crimes; Joan of Ark)

We all have a role in life and let me tell you the integrity of an elite fighting unit can be compromised by mixing it up with women because it is man's natural instinct to protect the women. And don't give me that crap that they would react no differently; It's inherent. Thank God
Perhaps in the future (2525) when we've all interbreed-ed and intersected to the point there is no biological difference, then if we still classify gender it could happen. Maybe then there would be no war.
I know this is a terribly unpopular view. But it's just what many more, then more of us, are willing to admit we believe.
And there's your view.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:32 PM

3,697 posts, read 6,712,673 times
Subs have very limited space. Two toilets. Limited shower space. Limited bunk space, including hot bunking for 40 percent or more of the crew.

Look for yet another new definition for hot bunking.

You do not want to compromise elite fighting units. And subs are elite fighting units.

If women are so qualified, qualify a bunch of them and make it an all-girl crew. That will shut up the nay-sayers, and prove women the techno-battle fighting equal of men. That will also open up some E-7, E-8, E-9, 0-4, 0-5, and 0-6 slots for females.

Harassment and the inevitable pregnancy issues are therefore solved before they reach a fever pitch.

I am all for equal opportunity. I am not for affirmative action or ACLU-inspired social engineeering that can and will get our brave military people killed.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:44 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,432,996 times
"Lt. Lake, you're almost out of uniform" - Down Periscope

Sorry - nothing of substance to add to the discussion - not a submariner and don't feel I can give a good opinion, just stupid movie quotes.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:11 PM

42,204 posts, read 49,740,662 times
Women need only be treated differently because you have it set in your mind that they do. If I were setting it up, men and women would bunk the same, eat the same, use the facilities the same...people's preoccupation with gender and 'sex' is the problem here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues