Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 01:21 PM

31 posts, read 298,343 times

Advertisements

So I think I am going to go guard, and be a full time student. Will I still recieve benefits since i am going from active duty to guard (or prior service), mostly dental and medical? What are some of the things I will lose out on and sum of the things I will still benefit from. Any knowledge out there about the specifics and process of the MGIB and post MGIB, also referring to private schools and public schools..

You can view my new thread dealing with school questions and help. http://www.city-data.com/forum/educa...c-desired.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 02:16 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,466 times
You will lose all your medical and dental benefits unless you are eligible for some type of transitional benefits from Active Duty Air Force. Normally transitional benefits are only offered if they are putting you out and I don't think this is the case from what you've written.

What you will receive while in the Guard is the following:

1. Drill pay and AD pay when on orders (Annual Training, Schools, Additional duty)

2. BX/PX and Commisary for you and your dependants.

3. SGLI is the same as A.D.

4. State tuition assistance for college.

5. GI bill if not enrolled currently (Lesser benefits than A.D. GI Bill).

6. Medical benefits when on Annual Training, when at schools, and on orders (none for dependants unless on orders for >30 days).

That's it nothing else that I can think of.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:50 PM

When looking on the goANG.com website, this is what it explains about Active Duty to Guard. As you can see the description includes health and dental coverage.

Quote:
The Palace Chase program allows eligible Air Force members to honorably exit the Air Force early and serve part-time in the Air Guard.
Whichever route you take, you will most likely be able to keep your rank, and your military time will carry over. You can expect to work one weekend per month and accomplish 15 days of annual training per year as well. You will still enjoy BX and Commissary privileges at military installations, receive a monthly paycheck for your service, as well as take advantage of valuable benefits including SGLI insurance, health and dental coverage. One of the best features of joining the Air Guard is the ability to choose where you want to live and the freedom to go to college, be near your family, and put down roots without giving up the camaraderie and sense of patriotism that comes with being in uniform.
Is that paragraph trying to mislead people coverage and coverage only 2 weeks a year and deployments are a big difference.

I also noticed that under the benefits section that denefits vary by state.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTAM View Post
When looking on the goANG.com website, this is what it explains about Active Duty to Guard. As you can see the description includes health and dental coverage.

Is that paragraph trying to mislead people coverage and coverage only 2 weeks a year and deployments are a big difference.

I also noticed that under the benefits section that denefits vary by state.
I retired 2 years ago so a few things might have changed. There was talk of medical and dental insurance that you would have to pay premiums for. I don't know if it includes dependants.

The only benefits that vary by state are the ones the state pays for (tuition assistance, vehicle license plates, etc).

Here is a link to a DOD website about TRICARE Reserve Select that I just found:

Factsheets : Tricare Reserve Select

Old 03-17-2010, 06:21 PM

Man... just under $200 per month for benefits. That basically takes your guard duty pay away..

Old 03-17-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Man... just under $200 per month for benefits. That basically takes your guard duty pay away..
Understand but if the benefits were the same between Active and Reserve then most would choose reserve. Also I would think the cost of quality health care like TRICARE would be $$$$ from a private insurer.

Stay in Bro, there a millions of people out of work, why make that a million and one?

I spent 30 years active and 20/20 hindsight tells me it was a good choice I made years ago. I get a retirement check that's more than most get for working 40 and TRICARE for life. Life's good.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:32 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Understand but if the benefits were the same between Active and Reserve then most would choose reserve.
?? They are the same. What's diff?

Also you get medical/dental while doing drills (the one weekend a month), presuming available that is, can vary - point being you're eligible (also unless it's changed in last few years). I did while ANG anyway.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:37 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
Good luck finding full medical coverage for under $200/mo anywhere else. Count yer blessings

Old 03-18-2010, 12:15 AM

Its not like i am getting out.. I would just be going guard. Also I will be doing school for 4 year, towards a BA, and then 2 more years for a MBA. I will be using my MGIB. If when school is over, I cant find a job, I can always look towards getting an active guard spot. I can tell you though.. I have only been a crew chief for 3 years and I hate it already... No way I want to do 20 lol.. Also I cant crosstrain for another 2 years if i stay active duty... plus from luke afb, the only way to another base is after you get sent to korea.. Im married, you know its a 90% divorce rate along with orders to korea. Im not going to but myself through that for 1 year in korea.

Another thing... can you stop and continue your benefits at any time... say you plan on having a baby so you start the benefits up... then stop them again. I know it sounds a little retarded but money doesnt grow on trees.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
?? They are the same. What's diff?

Also you get medical/dental while doing drills (the one weekend a month), presuming available that is, can vary - point being you're eligible (also unless it's changed in last few years). I did while ANG anyway.
There is no medical or dental available during IDT (drills). The exception is if you are unjured or there might be a flight surgeons office at some aviation units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues