Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:29 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times

Advertisements

The other day I saw someone in street clothes wearing military ribbons on his shirt. Only time I ever saw someone wearing military ribbons and or medals in non-military uniform was VFW or some other similiar organization. Is there some regulation or tradition in regard to wearing medals and ribbons in street clothes? No one in my family, including myself, has ever worn their medals and or ribbons once we left the service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 04:13 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,013 times
That's very unusual, like you the only place I have seen this is at Memorial Day and Veterans Day ceremonies. I have also heard it was once popular at formal events (weddings and the like) for veterans to wear their miniature medals on civilian formal clothing.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:46 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,107 times
Army wise it's authorized to wear the lapel pin of your award with civilian attire but to my knowledge not the full size ribbons or a rack of them.

On the other hand if you are a civilian I guess you could wear them if you earned them even in bad taste.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:43 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times
Only place I'd display them is in a shadow box.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:45 AM

66 posts, read 349,454 times
Here's all the official guidance on the issue;

There is no federal law which describes the method of wearing military medals and decorations with civilian clothes. However, each of the military services have uniform regulations which cover this:

Army. Army Regulation 670-1, paragraph 30-6, says that former members of the Army (including active duty, reserves, or Army National Guard), may wear medals on "appropriate" civilian clothing on Veteran’s Day, Memorial Day, and Armed Forces Day, as well as at "formal occasions of ceremony and social functions of a military nature." "Appropriate" civilian clothes includes clothes designed for veteran and patriotic organizations, such as VFW or American Legion uniforms. You can wear either the full-size or miniture-size medals. You should place the medals and decorations in approximately the same location and in the same manner as for the Army uniform, so they look similar to medals worn on the Army uniform.

Air Force. Air Force Instruction 36-2903, paragraph 4-4 says that honorably discharged and retired Air Force members may wear full-size or miniature medals on civilian suits on appropriate occasions such as Memorial Day and Armed Forces Day. Female members may wear full-size or miniature medals on equivalent dress. As with the Army, medals should be placed in the approximate same location and in the manner they are placed on the Air Force Uniform.

Navy. The Navy Uniform Regulations, Chapter 6, paragraph 61002, subparagraph 7 includes the requirements for wearing Navy decorations on civilian clothes. The regulation authorizes the wear of miniture medals and Miniature Breast Insignia on civilian evening dress (white tie) or civilian dinner dress (black tie) in the same manner as for dinner dress jackets. For non-dress-up affairs, you may wear miniature replicas of ribbons made in the form of lapel buttons, or ribbons made in rosette form, on the left lapel of civilian clothes. You may also wear miniature distinguished marksmanship and pistol shot badges as a lapel pin or as part of a tie clasp on civilian clothing.

Marine Corps. The Marine Corps Uniform Regulation, MCO P1020.34G, says that decorations, medals, appropriate ribbon bars, or lapel buttons may be worn on civilian clothes at the individual’s discretion. Individuals should ensure that the occasion and the manner of wearing will not reflect discredit on the award. Miniature medals may be worn with civilian evening dress. For non-evening dress, miniature replicas of ribbons made in the form of enameled lapel buttons, or ribbons made in rosette form, may be worn on the left lapel of civilian clothes.

Coast Guard. The Coast Guard Uniform Regulation, Table 3.G.1, allows the wear of mineature medals with civilian evening dress (white tie). You should wear them in the same manner as prescribed for Formal Dress uniform, and with civilian dinner dress (black tie) in the same manner as prescribed for Dinner Dress uniforms. Meneature ribbon replicas may be wornn the left lapel of other civilian clothes.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-13-2010 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: fixed formatting

Old 03-10-2010, 12:47 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,186,506 times
Asked my 77 year-old dad (25 years USAF, shot down a couple of times, once by the Soviets) what he thought about this..."I don't like it. Reminds me of the pictures you'd see of the old Soviet leadership. But whatever floats your boat."

He doesn't even know where his are. But, mom does!

Old 03-13-2010, 09:52 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,530,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Asked my 77 year-old dad (25 years USAF, shot down a couple of times, once by the Soviets) what he thought about this..."I don't like it. Reminds me of the pictures you'd see of the old Soviet leadership. But whatever floats your boat."

Skinem, I, too, immediately thought of the photos I'd seen of the Soviet leaders decked out in their medals!!!

Old 05-21-2010, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 29,070 times
The internet states something about the VA promoting anytime wear but I have not found that exact statement yet. Further, I can not find anything specific to hat pin replicas (which I have seen often) but similar lapel pins can be worn on civilian clothes. Further the wear of military rank is not mentioned, either pro or con, for civilian wear (let me know if someone finds out). But the manual does allow for medals worn (following the same rules for active duty personnel) to be worn for veterans on Veterans day, Memorial day, Armed Forces day, and military socials. However, miniature medal versions can be worn for other types of social events:

29–4. When wear of awards is prohibited. The wear of awards is prohibited in the following circumstances. c. When wearing civilian clothing, except for civilian awards, lapel buttons, or rosettes intended for wear with civilian clothing. Soldiers may wear miniature medals on formal civilian attire at formal social functions, when the wear of the Army uniform is inappropriate or not authorized.

b. Lapel buttons. Lapel buttons are miniature enameled replicas of an award that are worn only on civilian clothing. Males wear the buttons on the left lapel of civilian clothing; females wear the buttons in a similar location on theircivilian attire.

30–6. Wear of medals on civilian clothes- Retired personnel and former members of the Army (as described above) may wear all categories of medals described in this regulation on appropriate civilian clothing. This includes clothes designed for veteran and patriotic organizations on Veteran’s Day, Memorial Day, and Armed Forces Day, as well as at formal occasions of ceremony and social functions of a military nature. Personnel may wear either full-size or miniature medals. Personnel who wear medals on civilian clothes should place the medals on the clothing in approximately the same location and in the same manner as for the Army uniform, so they look similar to medals worn on the Army uniform.

30–9. Wear of distinctive unit insignia on civilian clothing - Former members of an Army unit may wear the distinctive unit insignia on the breast pocket or lapel.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:53 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
I was at a highschool award ceremony the other evening, to hand out a college scholarship from my VFW post, to a student. I wore grey slacks and dark-blue jacket as is the normal VFW attire, with my VFW hat. I do not feel comfortable wearing ribbons in civilian attire.

With me were other vets, likewise wearing their organizational coloured civilian attire. Each of them were wearing miniature ribbons.

I only wear my ribbons when I wear my Navy uniform [Memorial Day parades and such].

Old 05-23-2010, 04:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post

That's the attitude my own dad had. Please say "thank you" to your dad on behalf of my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues