U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 04:35 PM

240 posts, read 710,096 times

Advertisements

Hello. This is for my husband who will be on his way to school in San Angelo, TX for firefighter training. I am looking to obtain more information on the firefighter position through the Air Force. So if you are currently in this job field or have done this in the past, please help me out. This will be the first/beginning job he gets put into so he will start off at an E3 (if that makes any difference as far as job functions go).

The things I would like to know are:

What do you do on a daily basis?
Are there different job functions within firefighting?
Are there enough "fires" on base? Or do you get sent off for other jobs?
What duty stations would you most likely be stationed at?

Things like that. Any and all information would be helpful.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 11:33 AM

24,130 posts, read 38,871,775 times
You might read this thread, but don't know if they answer your questions:

Firefighting Program in the Military

Old 03-09-2010, 12:40 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,880,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arodrigues88 View Post
Hello. This is for my husband who will be on his way to school in San Angelo, TX for firefighter training. I am looking to obtain more information on the firefighter position through the Air Force. So if you are currently in this job field or have done this in the past, please help me out. This will be the first/beginning job he gets put into so he will start off at an E3 (if that makes any difference as far as job functions go).

The things I would like to know are:

What do you do on a daily basis?
Are there different job functions within firefighting?
Are there enough "fires" on base? Or do you get sent off for other jobs?
What duty stations would you most likely be stationed at?

Things like that. Any and all information would be helpful.

Thank you in advance.
ARodrigues88, while I've never been a USAF firefighter, I worked on the flightine when I was in the USAF and I have friends that have been USAF firefighters.

Generally, firefighting on USAF bases is much like that in a suburban town with a very BIG airfield. Fortunately, fires aren't that common on bases (good prevention efforts and a safety-oriented base workforce.) If I'm not mistaken, your husband will become familiar with both structural firefighting as well as aircraft firefighting and rescue. (Assuming the base he's assigned to has aircraft; some USAF bases don't)

As with any other department, USAF firefighters are constantly training. They also do the chores around the firehouse like anywhere else. As for aircraft emergencies; depending on the type of aircraft assigned, your hubby will probably respond to a fair amount of "IFEs" (Inflight Emergencies) Aircrews will call in if there is a potential problem with their aircraft (such as a warning light in the cockpit that shouldn't be illuminated) Most usually, the fire crew will stand by until the aircraft lands then check with the aircrew to see if further action is required. Usually, the aircraft then taxiis back to it's parking spot or maintenance tows it.

Additionally, USAF fire departments work hand-in-hand with civilian departments near the base. They train together and both will respond in a "mutual aid" situation if another department needs help at an emergency.

What duty station would I like? There's something good at EVERY USAF assignment! Attitude is 99% of the game; the rest is just small details!

I've laways been proud of our USAF firefighters; best of luck to your hubby!

Last edited by Crew Chief; 03-10-2010 at 10:24 AM..

Old 03-09-2010, 02:31 PM

Sorry about posting double posts in the same thread. Oops! I'll take a look at that link and see what information I can find. Thank you Poncho_NM!

Hey Crew Chief! Thanks for that information. That gives us a little perspective on what to expect. He wasn't sure if he would be able to work with the aircrafts because he failed the depth perception part. Will this effect him or does he still get to do those little maintenance jobs like you mentioned?

Very interesting. Thank you again to both moderators.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:29 PM

519 posts, read 1,825,243 times
My son went through that training at San Angelo a few years back but he is a Marine. They send all branches to San Angelo for the firefighting training and they all train together.

In the Corps, my son works at the Air Station and responds to any aircraft emergency landings or crashes and or fires at the Air Station. His shop pretty much looks like what you'd expect a Fire Staion to look like. He does a lot of training, but other than that, it is pretty much sitting around waiting for something to happen. They do have Fire trucks and other response vehicles that they are responsible for in their shop.

Don't know how it is in the AF, but at my son's base, the firefighters that man the fire stations there are majority DOD firefighters and not actual Marines. Supposedly there are some Marine bases where they get to go out on fire calls and whatnot, but not where my son is at.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:37 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,880,841 times
Arodrigues88: Is your hubby already eligible to be a firefighter with the depth perception problem? I'm not sure what the requirements are to be a firefighter. I was tested for depth perception to enter the Aircraft Maintenance specialty... As for the "little jobs around the fire house"... The fewer stripes you have, the more "Halls & Walls" cleaning jobs you'll have, according to military tradition... As your husband rises in rank, he will have the duties that go with his rank. (The more stripes, the more paperwork he gets to do!)

Seattleite61: Firefighting is pretty much the same in all of the services. Most, if not all fire houses have a mix of active duty, civilian and sometimes even Guard/Reserve personnel. Usually bases with airfields will have a seperate Aircraft Rescue/Firefighting (ARFF) station on the flight line and a station up on the base to handle structural and other fires off the flight line.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:22 PM

HI Crew Chief - Yes he is. OK that makes sense. I mean I know there will be those menial jobs as in part of the military games which is fine. Thanks for the information!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:14 AM

9,371 posts, read 17,488,660 times
The firefighters on the base I'm stationed at might put out one or two fires a year, most of the other calls are to base housing for gas leaks/smells, EMT medical emergencies, or they have to respond to fire drills in the office buildings. Depending on where he is stationed he could be called to assist with big fires outside the base. The ones stationed in California often assist with the wild fires out there. Don't hold me to this, but I think the FF here on base live in the firehouse 3 or 4 days per week and are off for three days, but don't hold me to that.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
The firefighters on the base I'm stationed at might put out one or two fires a year, most of the other calls are to base housing for gas leaks/smells, EMT medical emergencies, or they have to respond to fire drills in the office buildings. Depending on where he is stationed he could be called to assist with big fires outside the base. The ones stationed in California often assist with the wild fires out there. Don't hold me to this, but I think the FF here on base live in the firehouse 3 or 4 days per week and are off for three days, but don't hold me to that.
Where are you stationed at? Thanks for the information.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:59 AM

9,371 posts, read 17,488,660 times
I'm in Massachusetts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues