U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:43 AM

1,492 posts, read 6,781,313 times

Advertisements

dmarie, thanks for your input. she didn't start paying and then stop.... I guess the right thing to do would have been pay ALL the borrowed amount- since there was no payments....since no statement was mailed.

I guess the loan terms were 1 payment in the amount of 'the amount borrowed'.

Since no one is a mind reader- it's not up to her to determine her payment amount...it's the loan company's...and they are supposed to tell her.

And I guess we should tell the Army to allow soldiers to check their emails weekly so as to avoid them being closed out by the email companies.

I don't think that would go over to well.

But if this hasn't happened to anyone else...maybe it was just a fluke.

Thanks for your input everyone....I'll have her work on rehabbing the loan to clear her credit or whatever she can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 09:19 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,231,232 times
Depending on her MOS and duty position in the Military she might be required to secure/maintain a secret or top secret clearance now or in the future. A credit check is one of the first things that is done.

For this reason among others she needs to be proactive in resolving this problem and repairing any damage.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:18 PM

3,647 posts, read 9,316,475 times
sskkc- do you by chance have anything or know where I can get that policy of the waiver of mail only lasts a year?

It's accessible through the Sallie Mae login. Ask her for her login. From there, you will be able to access all documents, payment history, requests for forbearance, etc. But she'll need to give you the login and password she was given. If she doesn't have one already, now that she's out of boot and can access it, she can sign up - there is most likely a link via the emails she has been sent. Sallie Mae doesn't actually email documents - they email reminders, links, etc. Once she signs up, the entire history of the account will be visible. But she must've already signed up... or she wouldn't be getting emails.

And they respond very quickly to "lost my password or ID".

Here's the link to their site: http://salliemae.com/

Last edited by sskkc; 03-11-2010 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 03-12-2010, 04:33 AM

Thanks, sskkc. Remember, her email account was closed by yahoo due to inactivity while she was in boot camp and AIT....nothing she could do about that. So 'they' couldn't email her a thing.

But she did go online and create an account....she's signed up to NOT receive anything by email. But can't see past information....like a 'former' email address. She doesn't think she ever gave them one- not in her MPN-master promissory note....so this really may be a fluke. They didn't have an email for her so they never emailed anything...but surely never mailed anything either.

She pulled her credit files with the bureaus yesterday....12 positive accounts (5 of them are student loans)
and ONE negative!....yep- them!

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:03 PM

3,194 posts, read 9,243,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Thanks, sskkc. Remember, her email account was closed by yahoo due to inactivity while she was in boot camp and AIT....nothing she could do about that. So 'they' couldn't email her a thing.

But she did go online and create an account....she's signed up to NOT receive anything by email. But can't see past information....like a 'former' email address. She doesn't think she ever gave them one- not in her MPN-master promissory note....so this really may be a fluke. They didn't have an email for her so they never emailed anything...but surely never mailed anything either.

She pulled her credit files with the bureaus yesterday....12 positive accounts (5 of them are student loans)
and ONE negative!....yep- them!

Thanks for your help.
This sounds fishy to me. Yahoo doesn't do that. I have accounts I rarely check. You are telling me that Yahoo closes every email account for every solider? I have never heard of them closing an account like that.

Well, regardless... she should have called the company and said "I haven't received a statement in awhile... is there a problem?" She KNEW she owed them money. She could have been proactive and called them and asked why she wasn't getting statements.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:23 PM

No, didn't say they close soldier's email accounts...but did you not know that after a few months they close your email down?

From yahoo help:

Do you close accounts due to inactivity?

Yes, Yahoo! Mail accounts are deactivated and removed after four months of not being used.
When an account is deactivated, you can’t access it, regardless of whether an email has been received in the account during that time.
After an account is deactivated, Yahoo! can't retrieve any of the information that was formerly stored in that account, such as email and images.

dmarie, thanks for your help...but the "I haven't received a statement in awhile" ? I've received NO statment- ever.
Yes, she knew from a few years ago but when a soldier or anyone for that matter goes into bootcamp they are not allowed to bring file boxes of their paperwork or bills... thus that's why statments are put in the mail. She wasn't in repayment before boot camp but went into repayment during.

And take a kid, 17/18 or even 19 who is fresh off the farm- when statements come in one after another, the spouse or other support system back home takes care of things until graduation...but when a company doesn't mail statements...who would have ever thought one would be missing?

dmarie, she's paid a lump sum to get caught up and has made allotments for the remainder of the time....just sad this company let her fall through the cracks by not ever mailing her anything.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:56 PM

3,629 posts, read 6,770,201 times
If she cannot get the loan co. to remove the derogatory information in her credit report she does have the right to insert a statement into her file which gives "her side of the story."

Old 03-18-2010, 02:10 PM

UPDATE-
congressman was contacted and another agency....

the loan company has agreed to remove all the negative marks from my soldiers credit files...can take a few weeks- they say.

Just FYI- it is mandatory for a student loan company to 'disclose' your payment terms to include payment plans, and if you don't select one...payment amount, date due, etc. Since they 'emailed' someone who did not get 'emails' because they were in bootcamp when that supposed email was sent- (never mind the fact this company did not ever send anything using the US Mail so this soldier in bootcamp/AIT/then another follow on school)

this was the entire premise of the complaint.

Issue RESOLVED!

Thanks again everyone.

{this would have had a different outcome if at any time this company would have sent a statment, a bill- anything...but they never did
and the repayment plans you can choose from that they are supposed to disclose when you enter repayment:
You have a choice of repayment plans. How much you pay and how long you take to repay your loans will vary depending on the repayment plan you choose. There are several repayment plans available: Standard, Extended, Graduated, Income Based Repayment (IBR), Income Contingent Repayment (ICR) (available to borrowers with Direct Loans), and Income-Sensitive Repayment (available to borrowers with FFEL Loans).}
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues