Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 05:06 AM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarian View Post
Chuck,

There has been a lot of reference and reasoning why to stay with USAA in this thread. Split pretty evenly between the local rate someone is getting with USAA (in the positive) and their customer service when a claim is made (in the positive also).

I do agree on your second point.
I agree....and I know this is picky...but what I was responding too was:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLS14
Thank you, this myth that only USAA has customer service is silly.
If a "good" would have been thrown in there...I would not have responded...maybe...lol..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 07:16 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
We are happy with Geico.

I was never eligible to use USAA during my 20+ year Active Duty career, they changed their policies and I became eligible after I retired.

I will stay with Geico.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We are happy with Geico.

I was never eligible to use USAA during my 20+ year Active Duty career, they changed their policies and I became eligible after I retired.

I will stay with Geico.
I don't blame ya! That long with a company it would be hard to get the same rate from a new company.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:01 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,507 times
I am retired military. My son is currently on active duty. He "was" a USAA member for years and kept asking me why I wasn't interested in joining. I tried them (USAA) on my auto ins, house ins, car loan int rate, life ins etc. EVERYTHING was cheaper elsewhere. I told him the next time we talked and he switched his auto loans 2 of them from USAA to US Bank. Switched his auto ins to another company, can't remember who but..... the point is If you are currently with USAA just ask for a quote from some other company and see for yourself. It dosen't matter where we are, What matters is where you are, age, driving record, make/model of auto etc. You will find cheaper rates for the same coverage you have now. I am currently with Allied, a nationwide company for our autos, 2006, & a 2013 and pay less that $100 per month for both (full coverage).....
shop around people....

Old 03-24-2014, 06:12 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumaco View Post
I just switched from 42 years with USAA to Allstate. WHY? USAA has gone from a service member organization to a "anyone can get insured" and the type of service given to the soldier/airman etc. has dropped off at an alarming rate. They went from Serviceman to anyone for money and I was told after 42 years maybe I would be happier elsewhere and I AM!

I don't blame you. USAA has their commercials on constantly. The company is really pushing for customers. I think GEICO did the same type of expansion with its customer base. At one time GEICO only insured Federal Employees and Military. Hence it's name. Government Employee's Insurance Company. Now they would insure every driver on the planet if they were allowed to.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:23 AM

Well, it appears you can use USAA to get dental insurance through some company (I did not check to see what company, yet)?

Old 04-15-2014, 01:22 PM

182 posts, read 701,922 times
We switched to USAA a few years back when they opened it up to all veterans per my sister's suggestion who has been with then for more than 25 years. The rates were pretty good when we started . . . around $1600 for homeowners. But they've gone up every year we've been with them. This past December they wanted $2598 for homeowners, a $1000 increase in just a few years. When I called to discuss it with them I was greeted with bad manners and arrogance. I switched both our homeowner's and auto to Farmer's. FYI I am in the greater Houston area. Rather than $2598 our new policy with Farmer's is $1879 that includes a lower wind and hail deductible. And our 6-month auto went from $516 with USAA to $225 with Farmer's and higher coverage to boot. Even my sister does not deny USAA is not the company it once was. I realize everyone has their own preference, just wanted to share my experience.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:02 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,766,843 times
I also joined USAA when they opened it up to all veterans. I so much want to purchase auto insurance from them, because of their stellar customer service reputation, but their rates have never come close to what I have been paying with Mercury. I've been with Mercury since 1973 and every time I comparison shop, nobody comes close. The three times I've been involved in accidents, they have always come through for me...no problems. (Might be on account that all of the accidents were non-fault.)

When I retire in a few more years, downsize the fleet, and move to a lower cost-of-living area, I'll ask them for a new quote in my new living circumstances.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:06 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,797,453 times
We have USAA. I cant complain one bit. They have been good to us and honestly after working with other insurance companies...I am SO glad we have them. If I had the choice between USAA and Allstate, it would be USAA hands down.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:41 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Negative...after 15+ years with USAA I had to shop other companies because every renewal my rates kept being increased. I called them several years in a row to inquire why and always the same thing "we adjust them to match the risk in your area". I finally told them enough and found almost EVERY company to be half what USAA was charging me. I don't ever remember my premiums going down in the 15+ years I had them. Again, this was with no claims and no violations.

I lived in Washington, Idaho, Oregon and Arizona and had USAA and my rates always increased with each renewal.
That's curious. My son was in an accident last year, ice, which totaled my car. At renewal, the rate on my truck dropped a few dollars even though he is listed as the primary driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues