U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 12:38 PM

7 posts, read 16,435 times

Advertisements

My Husband is in the Army reserves and will be leaving to go somewhere in the Middle East soon leaving me alone with my 9 month old little girl. Once he leaves I wont be able to work cause i work cause I work at night after my husband returns home from work and I wont be able to afford a babysitter. Since anything I make i would be used paying a sitter.

Right now I live within a mile of my parents (who have helped me out greatly) but they may be moving 1 1/2 hrs away if my dads company moves.(90% chance of them moving) My parents offered to let me move in with them while my husband is gone. It would help me out I could save lots of money for a new house and if the my dads company does not buy their current house I could buy it and just pay the house payment until my husband returns so we would already have a house. But if my parents sell their house I wont have one.. and it may be hard to find a house once my husband returns. Renting would be hard since we have two dogs. and if I move with my parents.. maybe I will find a good job but what about my husband's job ..

my husband says he is okay with anything i decide..and he has not voiced his oppion towards any one decision.. so I need help deciding what to do..
it would be easier if my parents dont move but I have no power over that.. just deciding whether or not to go with them
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 04:55 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,380,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNV21 View Post
My Husband is in the Army reserves and will be leaving to go somewhere in the Middle East soon leaving me alone with my 9 month old little girl. Once he leaves I wont be able to work cause i work cause I work at night after my husband returns home from work and I wont be able to afford a babysitter. Since anything I make i would be used paying a sitter.

Right now I live within a mile of my parents (who have helped me out greatly) but they may be moving 1 1/2 hrs away if my dads company moves.(90% chance of them moving) My parents offered to let me move in with them while my husband is gone. It would help me out I could save lots of money for a new house and if the my dads company does not buy their current house I could buy it and just pay the house payment until my husband returns so we would already have a house.

>>> But if my parents sell their house I wont have one.. and it may be hard to find a house once my husband returns. Renting would be hard since we have two dogs. and if I move with my parents.. maybe I will find a good job but what about my husband's job .. >>>

my husband says he is okay with anything i decide..and he has not voiced his oppion towards any one decision.. so I need help deciding what to do..
it would be easier if my parents dont move but I have no power over that.. just deciding whether or not to go with them
I'm not certain what I understand your question.

Is it --'Should I move in with my parents while my DH is deployed?'

Or something about your parents' selling their house?

Old 03-20-2010, 09:44 AM

3,422 posts, read 9,432,996 times
OP you mentioned if you live with your parents you could save money to buy a house. So when your husband returns you can buy one instead of trying to rent. When you said it may be hard to find a house when your husband returns, do you mean ANY house for sale or just one that you could rent?

I too am a little confused. If your parents do move, you can buy their house? Therefore having a home where you currently live. If they don't you will be living there with them - when your husband returns he could temporarily stay there as well so he can still work at his job he is on leave from now and you guys could house hunt.

Does that make sense? Did I get the facts right?

Old 03-20-2010, 09:56 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,878,100 times
OP, I'm, as the others are, a bit confused about your question. but I've got some "food for thought", anyway:

Will your husband be sytaying at his current assignment for awhile after he returns from his deployment?

What is the real estate market like in the area where your parents' home you want to rent? Would you lose money if your hubby was transferred and you two would have to sell it?

Oh! I just reread your post and saw that he was in the Reserves. I guess many of the same issues still apply, though. how long do you two intend on staying in that area. Generally, buying a home makes sense if you plan on staying in it for 5 years or more...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues