U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:57 AM

42 posts, read 163,437 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. Well, after about 2-3 hours with (each) recruiters from the Navy, Air Force and Army, along with about 10 pages of notes, job positions, and questions I asked. I have decided to enlist inthe Army.

I am 21 years old, and currently employed by my local Sheriffs Office as a Police and Emergency Communications Officer (9-1-1 operator and police dispatch) and I enjoy my job, the people there and the decent benefits. The problem is, I don't see myself staying there (or my hometown) in the future.

I have always been interested in the military and would have enlisted right out of highschool but attempted to go to college but that fell through seeing as how i wasn't approved for financial aid.

Well now I am going to join the army. I scored a 74 on the ASVAB out of 99 and have been told by all three branches that I have the pick of any job that has openings. The problem is, I ruled out the Navy due to the simple fact that I do not want to be on a boat 4-8 months at a time. The Air Force, from what I was told by the recruiter has very limited open positions and mainly what they are recruiting for currently are the special forces. So that leaves Army, which I have nothing against at all and know a lot of people in the Army and they enjoy it.

The reason why I am posting this is just to get some insight on what army basic is like, if there are any 15 or 94 series MOS'ers on here and to see how they like their jobs because thats what I will be going for. Oh, and before anyone says it, the Marines dont interest me honestly so thats why I didnt see a recruiter for the Marines.

A little about me: I am 21 years old, I graduated highschool with a 3.4 GPA, I am 6'3" and 240 lbs (currently still loosing to get back to 220). And no, Im not joining the military just to get out of my town, I am joining because I genuinely want to and want to serve.

Any insight from other Army members would be greatly appreciated, and thanks.

-Bryan Bullock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 09:26 AM

3,422 posts, read 9,438,161 times
Good luck! I don't know anything about the Army so I can't help you.

I am surprised to hear you say the AF is recruiting for spec ops stuff b/c those slots, from what I know, fill up almost immediately (its hard to imagine PJ/CCT/TACP not getting more people wanting slots than there are available). Maybe you mean security forces (the AF police) - which would make more sense to me from my experience.

If the army has "dream sheets" where you get to pick your top choices for locations you want to go, my suggestion is to fill it with great overseas locations that interest you. Its a great opportunity to see a new place and when you are single, moving, etc.. is a lot less complicated - you don't have to worry about your family's medical clearances, whether you can go accompanied or not, jobs for your spouse, etc...

There is a retired Army guy here on the forum who visits rather frequently and I am sure he will chime in at some point with more Army-specific info.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:33 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,229,233 times
I am retired (2 years) from the Army now but held five 15 series MOSs.

The 15 series covers the entire aviation field from flight operations, to general helicopter repair to helicopter component repair.

Let me know what your interest are and your ultimate goal with the training and i'll give you feedback.

I do not know much about the 94 series, I believe it's missile/electronics repair.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:50 AM

24,138 posts, read 38,895,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryancBullock View Post
The reason why I am posting this is just to get some insight on what army basic is like, if there are any 15 or 94 series MOS'ers on here and to see how they like their jobs because thats what I will be going for.

Any insight from other Army members would be greatly appreciated, and thanks.

-Bryan
I served 22 years, retired in 1990 followed by 10 years as a consultant/instructor.

Basic Training? Piece of cake. Practice your running... Keep your mouth shut, do what your are told, help your buddies, don't talk back, look at people in the eye when you talk to them, never say I quit, never quit (flop around on the floor if you have to). Practice your running. Everybody in your platoon is your buddy, take care of them...

I was originally drafted and was in the Hawk and Nike missile field, then changed MOS's a few times. The MOS's now have new numbers...

Here are some tips I learned allong the way:

1. Take the longest AIT school you are offered. (Longer is usually better)

2. Look at the Variable Re-enlisment Bonus's (VRB) for the MOS's (Longer is usually better)

3. Your single, go overseas and stay there.... (Well, maybe)

4. Look at MOS's which have Warrant Postions/lead into Warrant slots.

5. Did anyone offer you OCS?

Today is Friday, I am brain dead. If I think of more, I will post, you you have questions, ask, if you want to DM me, be my guest.

Good luck Bryan, keep in touch.

Rich

Old 03-19-2010, 12:01 PM

42 posts, read 163,437 times
Thanks for the insight so far. I am looking at a few different MOS's.

15Q - Air Traffic Control Operator
15J - Aircraft Armament/Electronic/avionic systems repairer
15F - Aircraft Electrician
94D - Air Traffic Control Equipment Repairer
94F - Computer/Detection Systems Repairer
94K - APACHE Attack Helicopter Systems Repairer

those are the MOS's I talked to the recruiter about and I am more than qualified with my test scores for any of those positions.

@ Rich: thanks for the input. I am actually going to talk some more to the recruiter about the warrant officer flight training which will then lead to OCS.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:27 PM

24,138 posts, read 38,895,616 times
Quote:
@ Rich: thanks for the input. I am actually going to talk some more to the recruiter about the warrant officer flight training which will then lead to OCS.
The Warrant Officer Flight does not really lead to OCS.

Not all Warrant Officers are helicopter pilots... Just most of them...

Note, to go to OCS you can not have more than 10 years active service.

If OCS is a goal, then I would not delay. It is pretty demanding.

Here is a chart that shows the Warrant slots and the Feeder (Enlisted MOS) slots: Army Warrant Officer Procurement Program

Rich

Old 03-19-2010, 12:37 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,229,233 times
Quote:
Thanks for the insight so far. I am looking at a few different MOS's.

15Q - Air Traffic Control Operator
15J - Aircraft Armament/Electronic/avionic systems repairer
15F - Aircraft Electrician
94D - Air Traffic Control Equipment Repairer
94F - Computer/Detection Systems Repairer
94K - APACHE Attack Helicopter Systems Repairer

those are the MOS's I talked to the recruiter about and I am more than qualified with my test scores for any of those positions.

Note: To be an Army WO aviator you go to Basic, Warrant Officer Candidate School (WOCS) and then to flight training (both in Fort Rucker, AL). You would be appointed a Warrant Officer; OCS is for Commissioned Officers and requires a 4 year degree (different track). WO aviator: Excellent choice if you can get it.

To help you better and give you the best advice we need to know what are your interests and goals regarding the military schools (learn a trade, adventure, work in an office, work with your hands, work inside or out).

Old 03-19-2010, 05:49 PM

519 posts, read 1,825,990 times
Congrats on your decision! My husband is Army and my son is Marines. I have two daughters about to join the Army - one's enlisting and the other is going to OCS. The daughters decided on the Army after evaluating all the branches and both felt there were more opporunities in the Army.

Best wishes!

Old 03-20-2010, 01:05 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,886,806 times
BryancBullock, even though I was in the USAF, I'm still proud of you; we're all on the same team. Just wear slightly different uniforms and have slightly different missions. One of the things I cherished about my time on active duty was working with folks in the other branches; met some very fine Army folks. You'll be in good company! Don't forget us here on City-Data and keep us posted on your career. (and you'll be able to provide current information instead of all the stuff us old "war horses" may or may not remember correctly...)

Old 03-20-2010, 02:26 PM

519 posts, read 1,555,979 times
Why not see what the Marines have to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues