U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2010, 10:50 AM

225 posts, read 974,272 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I'm currently an A1C in the Air Force. I just graduated Security Forces Tech School and will be heading over to Okinawa for my first duty station next weekend. I've been trying to find out how much my overseas pay will be once I get over there and having no luck. Does anybody have any idea what it will be or where i can find it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 11:10 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,225,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collint View Post
Hello all,
I'm currently an A1C in the Air Force. I just graduated Security Forces Tech School and will be heading over to Okinawa for my first duty station next weekend. I've been trying to find out how much my overseas pay will be once I get over there and having no luck. Does anybody have any idea what it will be or where i can find it?
I don't believe there is any overseas pay, at least not by that name.

There is Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) but that would only pertain if you live off base (housing) on the economy.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:48 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,878,100 times
The Accounting & Finance folks (if they're still called that nowadays...) can tell you exactly what your pay entitlements will be at Kadena. As Balad 1 says, I believe the only pay you will get while on Kadena will be a COLA. If you are deployed somewhere else from Kadena, other rules may apply.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:34 PM

1,492 posts, read 6,775,071 times
I have a soldier overseas who swears her pay went up...and that the other soldiers that went from her school...their's did, too.

So I just don't know what to say. Do you get pay for being over seas?
Don't hesitate and ask your (sorry I don't know the rank...but my daughter had a Sgt who was over her class)...

Old 03-20-2010, 05:07 PM

24,129 posts, read 38,859,608 times
There appears to now be an Overseas Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) and an Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) Allowances and Entitlements (PDTATAC) (http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Sections/Allowances.cfm - broken link)

Years ago there was an "Overseas Pay" which many times was not really very much (About $6.00 per month for me in Germany in the 70's).

FAQ - Overseas COLA (http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/faqcola.html - broken link)
Q1. What is Overseas COLA?
ANSWER:The Cost-of-Living Allowance, or COLA, is paid to Service Members to partially offset high costs when stationed overseas (including Alaska and Hawaii). COLA helps maintain purchasing power so you can purchase about the same goods and services overseas as in the United States. It does notreimburse expenses, but is designed to offset higher overseas prices of goods and services. It does not compensate for remoteness, hardship, or non-availability of goods and services.

Q2. Does everyone assigned overseas receive COLA?
ANSWER: No. If the cost of living in the overseas area where you are assigned is the same as, or lower than it is in an average area in the United States, you do not receive COLA.

Q3. How much COLA will I receive at my new permanent duty station?
ANSWER: A COLA rate query by location is available at Overseas Cost of Living Allowance Query
Use the above to calculate your's

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues