U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 05:47 AM

410 posts, read 1,462,398 times

Advertisements

Vietnam Vet denied cancer care he is entitled to:

Houston Legal Issues Examiner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 07:55 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,075,506 times
M.D. Anderson does not conduct clinical trails for free. When my Dad was down there, they offered him one, but he had to agree to pay $100,000 for it. This was nearly 20 years ago, so who knows how much they want now. His private insurance wouldn't pay for it and he couldn't without leaving Mom flat broke. In the end, Dad opted not to and he came home to die. For any patient, the time comes when nothing more can be done and throwing good money at little more than a forlorn hope is futile and pointless.

That's where this guy seems to be now and the VA is unwilling to pay for it. That's a common practice which even your insurance company and local hospital does. You may call it rationing if you like, but it's a fact of life someone will make that decision, no matter how much the patient thinks he has a chance or wishes he wasn't going to die. Of course, the patient has the option to pay for it himself.

Bottom line? Don't fault the VA. They're just doing what any health care provider does when there are no more options.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:29 AM

410 posts, read 1,462,398 times
Please note the written agreement between NCI and VA. You see, it is something not spoken about so few know. VA is supposed to pay for these trials.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:08 AM

3,651 posts, read 8,127,763 times
Edit: you're right. This is total BS. Classic military "administration" though. What a freaking joke.

Last edited by joey2000; 03-21-2010 at 09:38 AM..

Old 03-21-2010, 09:58 AM

862 posts, read 1,418,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scammed1 View Post
Please note the written agreement between NCI and VA. You see, it is something not spoken about so few know. VA is supposed to pay for these trials.
TheVA will pay for the trials for service connected cancer.

If his cancer is not service connected, the VA doesn't have to pay for the trials. He needs to get his cancer service connected first. Just because he served in Vietnam, doesn't mean it automatically gets service connected.

If he's tried to get it service connected, and the VA denied it, he needs to contact a service orgaization to represent him. Disabled American Veterans, Vietnam Veterans of America, VFW, American Legion are a few. Some charge, some don't. Disabled American Veterans do not charge for representing veterans. Not sure about the others.

That being said, the rest of his care is just ridiculous! I hate it when doctors, who aren't doing anything, get upset because those of us who care look stuff up on the internet. I ALWAYS check out my hubby's new meds online before he takes any. Have caught a few errors and potential life threatening conflictions.

Last edited by serate; 03-21-2010 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: what can I say, I can't spell. lol

Old 03-21-2010, 10:14 AM

862 posts, read 1,418,866 times
Adenoid Cystic Carsinoma is not one of the presumptive cancers so therefore is not considered a service connected disability. The VA hospital will not pay for the trials. Simple as that.

If a cancer or illness is considered presumptive, all one must prove is you were exposed to the cause while on active duty and one is immediately granted service connected disilility for the illness.

So the next plan of action would be to petition the government to add Adenoid Cystic Carsinoma to the list of presumptive cancers.

I'm not even going to touch the illegals and free health care. My blood pressure is already up enough today.

Last edited by serate; 03-21-2010 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: what can I say, I can't spell. lol

Old 03-21-2010, 10:17 AM

92 posts, read 405,970 times
Not just service connected if you read the agreement that know one knows about. Furthermore, the VA told the veteran his cancer is on the list of agent orange cancers but not where it started on him. Doctors said it would start where he had the cancer start before reaching other parts of the body. One more way of denying benefits. The veteran is reapplying for disability with many people behind him. One million vets are waiting for disability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues